SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I personally love when the  (N) runs express on the west end...Fast trip to Manhattan.

Yup and its so fun being on the West End grabbing the photos of them! So I'm going to do it when they have the GO. lastweekd (N) via West End GO was cancelled as per a T/O I talked with for some unknown reason. I think the work at 59th Street was completed ahead of time buy tack divison but thats a guess.

Plus its around my way anyway so thats another reason, easy to get to the west End, I can practically walk there to New Uterect from my apartment.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wished I can ride an R46 (E) but its very very very very unlikey it could happen.

It could happen if in the case of last minute on the fly reassignments or GOs in the future that forces the superintendants @ Jamaica Yard to temporarily make a reassignment on some of the R46's assigned to Jamaica. One factor to think about: QBL CBTC, which starts later this year according to current contracts on the CCC dashboard. That could change things a bit. So in 2015 even though by then the (R) will resume its normal route through the Montague St tubes at all times except late nights, (which may prompt the reassignment of R46's to the line) that cannot be ruled out. I would keep my eyes peeled next year for unusual happenings.

Nah, an R32 (E) would be nice....

As for R32's on the (E) ? it would be cool, but in terms of operations calling for an occasional 10 car R32 set on the (E) , very unlikely. Especially when the R179's are scheduled to begin testing with its first test train to be delivered in December, this year. More of the R32's may be assigned to work service while the rest end up scrapped when in service testing of the R179's begin in late 2015 from the initial test train to be delivered in a matter of months at this point.

Edited by realizm

Ok guys, if you don't mind, can someone post one of their greatest photos of the nyc subway. Something with an NTT, and a great background, the train must be the main part of the photo that draws the eye quickly. Something that shows all details of the train, but not necessarily the whole train. It's for a final project, I will redraw the whole photo. Thanks in advance. You can post the photo here.

Ok guys, if you don't mind, can someone post one of their greatest photos of the nyc subway. Something with an NTT, and a great background, the train must be the main part of the photo that draws the eye quickly. Something that shows all details of the train, but not necessarily the whole train. It's for a final project, I will redraw the whole photo. Thanks in advance. You can post the photo here.

I have a photo that fits your description but it's an R62A...

I came back from China a week ago, and in the airport I heard something quite interesting. The lady who does the "Ladies and gentleman, there is a Manhattan bound express train one station away" was also doing the announcements at Shanghai Pudong International airport! I was pretty amazed to hear her voice halfway around the world

While I was waiting for my flight, Dragon Air 805 (which I flew to Hong Kong and then transferred to Cathay 846 to JFK), an announcement came over the PA:

"Ladies and gentleman, your attention please. Dragon Air flight 805 to Hong Kong International airport is now boarding at Gate 61."

I thought that I was in the subway after hearing the announcement but I realized it was the same lady who did the NYC Subway announcements

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

I came back from China a week ago, and in the airport I heard something quite interesting. The lady who does the "Ladies and gentleman, there is a Manhattan bound express train one station away" was also doing the announcements at Shanghai Pudong International airport! I was pretty amazed to hear her voice halfway around the world

While I was waiting for my flight, Dragon Air 805 (which I flew to Hong Kong and then transferred to Cathay 846 to JFK), an announcement came over the PA:

"Ladies and gentleman, your attention please. Dragon Air flight 805 to Hong Kong International airport is now boarding at Gate 61."

I thought that I was in the subway after hearing the announcement but I realized it was the same lady who did the NYC Subway announcements

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand her voice...

bugs the hell outta me.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand her voice... bugs the hell outta me.

Same here! Sounds bad on the (7)

You are not alone on that. Maybe it's the repetitiveness combined with the verbose nature of the announcements.

@YankeesPwnMets: That's not really all that surprising, given that she's done various recordings for several different transit systems and airports around the world. Check out this piece from the New York Times for more.

pardon me on my dumbness just a question about the gap filler. I know when the train is departing the train pushes the gap away. I want to know how and who put the gap filler in place before the door open?

The train doesn't push the gap fillers away. There are sensors at the end of the platform that detects when the train is pulling out and retracts the gap fillers. I can't if it's the same process that gets them deployed.

SubwayGuy explains it here:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/16274-watch-the-gap-in-the-subway/?view=findpost&p=217497

Almost revived the thread till I saw it was 2010..

I know the IRT are the number trains, but what's the difference between IND and BMT? I noticed at Coney Island terminal it says BMT trains, but I thought that stood for Brooklyn Manhattan trains. What lines are the BMT and what lines are the IND?

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Almost revived the thread till I saw it was 2010..

I know the IRT are the number trains, but what's the difference between IND and BMT? I noticed at Coney Island terminal it says BMT trains, but I thought that stood for Brooklyn Manhattan trains. What lines are the BMT and what lines are the IND?

BMT (Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit): (J)(L)(N)(Q)(R)(S) (Franklin Avenue Shuttle) (Z)

IND (Independant): (A)(B)(C)(D)(E)(F)(G)(M)(S) (Far Rockaway Line)

Because, they're given on their former operators trunk line (the 6 Avenue Line was IND, so all trains normally designed for that were IND)

In this day and time, it really doesn't have any meaning besides being a benchmark. Everything is seperated into A, B, and C division.

Thanks. I saw in the thread how the IRT was built with a lot of turns and curves, possibly had to maneuver around pipelines etc. That's my favorite part of the subway, having trains moving fast around those curves is amazing, which is why I love riding the (4) from Crown Heights to Borough Hall and Brooklyn Bridge to 125st. Now I don't like curves that require 25mph or below speed, but those smooth curves that you can fly right through with the little squeaking, etc.

I wrote this out of boredom on Facebook earlier

Imagine these service changes (note don't bash, just some ideas I'm sharing just to talk about fantasy subway changes)

OK here's where I start

(B) Bedford pk Blvd - Bay Ridge 95th st, Replaces the (R) and its the 4th ave local

Late nights shuttle between Atlantic - 95th

Middays & Weekends to 145th st

(J) Jamaica Center- Brighton Beach (Express btwn Broadway Junction - Marcy ave, Prospect Pk to Brighton beach) weekdays, Weekends to broad st only

(M) 179th st - Metropolitan ave

(N) Broadway exp, nothing changes besides being express in Manhattan

(Q) 96th st- Coney Island Broadway express Brighton local

(R) new changes, 71st ave -Bay Parkway weekdays, Weekends to 9th ave, late nights to 34th st (71st ave - 34th st)

(W) Astoria - Brighton Beach (Rush Hour special) Brighton Express, Broadway local via tunnel, middays to Whitehall st

(Z) Jamaica Center to broad st weekdays only, local supplement for the (J)

I'm just bored so I felt doing this just to kill the boredom since this is a random thoughts thread, this was my random thought lol

How would the (J) get to Prospect Park from Marcy Ave? What stops would it make?

It'll run it's normal route to Broad St, merge with the R and make R stops until after DeKalb, where it'll run on the B/Q to Prospect Park.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk