SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

This is so Fake!!!! It's based on schedule not live tracking! Trains don't stop, and turn around immediately. I tested it out this weekend, said there was 1 N on the Astoria Line, meanwhile I just missed an (N) at 30th, an (N) was across the platform 2 min later, and then an (N) came 3 min later. None of these trains were on the tracker. I then tested it out at Citi Field and again, completely wrong! Nice idea though...

It's almost the same as the app Blip Rail.at least this I can view on my apple devices.No real time.Correct.Only schedule based.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good day in subway during rush hour to Subway Series or Subway Rivalry. I waited for my friend at 33 street Penn station on the (1). I got question by 4 different people. One want to know where to go to get the LIRR. One want to know about 67 street then east 67 street. One was foreign tourist asking about going uptown because i saw they pointing along Columbus Ave on the map. One was asking if this is uptown train. Gee, I should have a sticker on my overhead poncho saying "Ask me if your lost." We got to 59 Street and change to (D) express. When we got to 145 Street. It seem both Conductor and TO was having difficult communicating with each other which stop is next. I heard them arguing which one is correct. The train did stop at 1-6-1. 

I have two questions to ask during this trip

1-- Does the (5) run on the Seventh Ave line during the rush hour? I saw two (5) train back to back at 33 street Penn Station. It amazing that the time board show the (5) on there. 

2-- I noticed a section on the third rail there is a spark from the shoe. Why is some shoes make spark while other don't? I would say maybe 6 spark in 10 cars. I know i feel dumb but want to make sure. 

Coming home was good and easy. It weird to see acrobatic people doing their stuff on Yankee Subway Special. Also the conductor is confused whether train is going local or express. First he said local all the way to 125 street then said express to 59 Street. Meanwhile train was express after 145 street. 

Edited by pjbr40

Strictly speaking, the (5) most certainly doesn't run via 7th Ave during rush hours (or any other time of the day for that matter). That's only when signal problems, rail condition, a train breakdown, train congestions/delays or temporary suspension occurs on the Lex. Same happens with 7th Ave and the (2) has to go via Lex. The (4) and (5) are always pretty inconsistent during rush hours anyway, due to their most frequent headways at that time period.

Otherwise, the (2) and (5) are both running normally on their respective Manhattan trunk lines.

Edited by RollOver

One could be that the R46s cause more dwell times than the R160s and the (F) is one of the most crowded lines in the system. And I doubt that R160s are causing vibration on Fourth Avenue, because the (N) also uses R160s and it runs on Fourth Avenue.

One could be that the R46s cause more dwell times than the R160s and the (F) is one of the most crowded lines in the system. And I doubt that R160s are causing vibration on Fourth Avenue, because the (N) also uses R160s and it runs on Fourth Avenue.

Actually, they are causing vibrations, just south of 59th Street.

The R was/is using 160s because the southern portion is closer to Coney Island Yard. If something were to happen to the cars and required emergency service, they could be brought there instead of Jamaica Yard since CIYD is more familiar with the 160s than the 46s. At least that was the original reason. Obviously it's not so anymore since 46s pop up on both sections of the R while the F has a few more 160s running as of late.

There were some complaints that the R160s were vibrating the houses and businesses near 77th and 86st, which is why they performed the vibration tests.

Sounds sort of odd to me because I didn't notice any significant vibrations that may be prove to be catastrophic in that area. I live very close to that area in Brooklyn so I can tell you this is true. So I fail to see what the merchant associations there are complaining about, or the community leaders there for that matter to be honest. What the heck do they want? To shut the R down? Give me a break.

They should be happy the Bay Ridge line is there at all to bring a customer base at all really and subway service. If they want to walk to my area in Brooklyn Chinatown and take the N then be my guest if they dont like it. Or shut up and drive. Out of NYC and live somewhere else.

If they want a repeat of the complaining merchants who when whining about the Jamaica El, prompted the dismantling of the line to 168th be my guest. Guess what? Those same merchants along Jamaica Ave had to close down, lack of business. No Jamaica El. Idiots.

Cant stand elitist NIMBYs who complain about everything and anything that pops in their mind at the coffee shop in their meaningless lives...

Edited by realizm

An R68A (N) left Ditmars about 20 minutes ago.

.....FOAM ALERT!!!!! :P .

But wait! Pause for a sec. The R68's are going back on the (N)(Q) or was it a reroute? It's not the weekend so it's not a GO.

Papi says... Some R160A/B on the Astoria Line should swap with the (G) for some R68's for at least the summer

Edited by Priincenene

.....FOAM ALERT!!!!! :P .

But wait! Pause for a sec. The R68's are going back on the (N)(Q) or was it a reroute? It's not the weekend so it's not a GO.

Papi says... Some R160A/B on the Astoria Line should swap with the (G) for some R68's for at least the summer

They can occasionally be seen time from time on Broadway.

An R68A (N) left Ditmars about 20 minutes ago.

Thanks for the update. +1. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I rarely see this even as a N commuter. Must be because this only happens in the PM rush and if working, internship or school I come home super late and miss out on it, no?

Edited by realizm

Hold the phone: They actually had a flip dot sign pilot program on R44s .... in the late 1980's? This had to be before the GOH. I'm sure some of the veterans knew about this but I surely didn't until now:

img_115666.jpgSource: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?115666

img_115668.jpg

Source: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?115662

img_115667.jpgSource: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?115667

img_24425_zps06393850.jpg

(Author unknown)

img_62217.jpg

Source: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?62217

Thats pretty cool. The moar you know...

Edited by realizm

Hold the phone: They actually had a flip dot sign pilot program on R44s .... in the late 1980's? This had to be before the GOH. I'm sure some of the veterans knew about this but I surely didn't until now:

So in other words, the 90's R160's :D

That was a prototype to the LCD electronic displays that were later installed on the 44s and 46s. One reason why these particular displays never found ubiquity on the trains is the lack of lights on them. Look at any of the pictures, but especially the one of the side signs, and you'll see there is no space for any type of light tube. Without any light, those signs would be impossible to read in the dark.

img_115666.jpgSource: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?115666

img_115668.jpg

Source: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?115662

img_115667.jpgSource: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?115667

img_24425_zps06393850.jpg

(Author unknown)

img_62217.jpg

Source: http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?62217

I saw that a while ago, while searching around nycsubway.org.

I have seen most of the subway pics there.

Something from the New York Transit Museum's Facebook page:

10329190_10152181879263843_1509157987458

R142 6315, being prepped up for the 2000 World Series (the Subway Series) baseball games. Looks to be at the East 180th Street Shop.

Note R26 car 7775, one-half of the remaining R26 pair still in existence. That pair's currently sitting at Concourse Yard in the Bronx.

Edited by M. Friday 1986

From the Gothamist:

NYPD Trying To Figure Out Way To Stop Arresting Subway Breakdancers

010213subway.jpg

(daniel.gene on Flickr)

[Excerpt from article]: NYPD Commissioner Bill Bratton now says he's trying to come up with some sort of compromise, so life can get back to some sense of normal in Bomont, New York City.

"There is an opportunity in certain locations in the system where those individuals can perform and not be a risk to themselves, or to the public on moving cars," Bratton said on Friday. "On a subway car that sways, jilts, stops, it's too great to ignore and we will not ignore it." Bratton added that he would talk to the MTA about the idea, as well as permits being issued to entertain "in appropriate places," which sounds a lot like how the NYPD has dealt with underground buskers.

Link: http://gothamist.com/2014/05/10/nypd_trying_to_figure_out_way_to_st.php

Let me add my hardline opinion on this in advance.

7860544534_7293d0c0af_z.jpg

46 people and an additional at least another 50 urban youths have been arrested and charged with disorderly conduct for dancing on trains. Fine but waitaminute....

7812dance.jpg

Interesting to note however, only one couple have been arrested for dancing the Charleston on the subway, but they got a pass like many hipsters do when they pull the same nomnsense and was awarded $75K for the infraction after the cops did what they had to do, and rightfully so, making no biased judgements. Calling the kettle black City of New York? So urban breakdancers should be thrown in jail with no mercy, but the privileged folks when doing the same gets a settlement? The prosecutors involved couldn't push the fact that they broke the rules, period. Gee no wonder Bratton is making the right call here on revising how to deal with breakdancers. Because its not just breakdancers disrupting subway service...

Laughable. I never knew the City of New York made an clause for exception to disrupting subway service if you are are an upper class commuter smut polka dancing after a stupid Lincoln Center concert in the middle of a crowded subway platform creating a danger to customers despite what the MTA rules of conduct says. Apparently having the money to pay for sinister lawyers who feels overruling following rules and regulations set by the MTA is what they call justice being served.

The couple say that the cops are to be better trained. Thats a bunch of crap! You broke the damn MTA rules of conduct. Period. Dressing up in fancy suits with wads of money and credit cards in your pocket and dancing like this is 1950 before going home to your fancy condo with your two Mercedes sudans parked in the building garage in your uber fancy UES neighborhood does not make you exempt from obeying the law. 

The elitist privilege VIP card, never leave home without it.

Edited by realizm

First off, there's a big difference between dancing on a wide open platform and doing the same in a confined subway car that's in motion and packed with riders. Also, these two weren't doing stunts that could potentially injure someone.

Another thing, the couple won their suit not because of the city overruling the MTA's Code of Conduct, but rather being detained for 23 hours by the NYPD.