SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Actually, a while ago this variation on the rumor was posted in a separate thread that helps explain it and offers a little context:

That makes a little more sense than making the Nancy/Quincy 100% R46.

And yes - eventually JYD will have to be 100% NTT - specifically NTT converted for CBTC. But as mentioned that isn't a priority for several years. 

So, if you'll permit me to speculate wildly, there are scenarios where the switch would need to happen now. Say, hypothetically some equipment specifically needed for R46 maintenance at JYD needed to be replaced, and then there's the thought process "why would we replace this, the yard is going to be all NTT in a few years?" - it could, COULD make more sense to have the yard be all NTT now and install the needed equipment/use the needed equipment elsewhere.

Or, Maybe they're going to be adding the CBTC gear to the 160's at Jamaica and they need all the cars there because they are going to start that soon - this makes sense - you need all the cars equipped before the system goes live and you would want to leave yourself plenty of time to do the installs. 

Long and short - There are reasons why you'd want to do it and want to do it soon, but I will believe it when I see it and no sooner. 

I was musing on that in regards to NTTs and Jamaica Yard. The current forecast calls for the portion of the Queens Blvd CBTC project to Union Tpke to last between late 2014 and 2018. The thing is that there is no mention of R160's being retrofitted for CBTC in their most recent 20 years assessment  and was never brought up in any of the committee meetings published to this date. Even as we know that is definitely feasible as were done with many of the 4 car sets assigned to ENY.

This raises many questions as to what the MTA may do with the R211 order for 752 cars to replace the R46/46s. Even as the installation according to the contract may end in 2018, it may in reality take even longer then that to achieve going from how long it took for installation on the BMT Canarsie line.  I believe it was 7 years from the year 2000 to around 2007 when it was finally operational.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was musing on that in regards to NTTs and Jamaica Yard. The current forecast calls for the portion of the Queens Blvd CBTC project to Union Tpke to last between late 2014 and 2018. The thing is that there is no mention of R160's being retrofitted for CBTC in their most recent 20 years assessment  and was never brought up in any of the committee meetings published to this date. Even as we know that is definitely feasible as were done with many of the 4 car sets assigned to ENY.

This raises many questions as to what the MTA may do with the R211 order for 752 cars to replace the R46/46s. Even as the installation according to the contract may end in 2018, it may in reality take even longer then that to achieve going from how long it took for installation on the BMT Canarsie line.  I believe it was 7 years from the year 2000 to around 2007 when it was finally operational.

Good Point!!

It has to do with cost analysis and available funds. Remember the funds are dependent on the economy and all of this is being done with surplus money so to speak. Its like the latest derailment in Queens where money had to be found and 500 feet of track replaced and damaged cars. This probably set back all new work by 2 months. So to have a fixed date is nice but all of this is tentative. Its like the 7 line station at 34/11th ave which was to open in 2013 but the elevators designed by the Italians don't work for the handicapped so this is being pushed off into the future.

It has to do with cost analysis and available funds. Remember the funds are dependent on the economy and all of this is being done with surplus money so to speak. Its like the latest derailment in Queens where money had to be found and 500 feet of track replaced and damaged cars. This probably set back all new work by 2 months. So to have a fixed date is nice but all of this is tentative. Its like the 7 line station at 34/11th ave which was to open in 2013 but the elevators designed by the Italians don't work for the handicapped so this is being pushed off into the future.

Yes, indeed. I've read about the delay with the SAS in this report: http://web.mta.info/capital/sas_docs/Second%20Avenue%20Subway-%20Quarterly%20Report%202013%20Q4.pdf

It turns out the completion date for 96th Street will be pushed to June, 2016. Forget the actual revenue service start date. We may not see it opening until early 2017.

The R179's are even late as it is the test train that was supposed to arrive in December of this year has been pushed back as well. With the timing of this I may be inclined to agree, it could have something to do with the unforeseen Queens Blvd derailment. Resulting in a change in the capitol construction program for the remainder of 2015. 

Edited by realizm

The E is running every 5 minutes according to the MTA site and every other train is going to 179 because of the 7 shutdown. At least it's an increase in E service

Despite all that, they're not sending Quincy to Astoria...

Two different shuttle buses will run in two different routes:

1. Between Court Square and 74th Street via Queens Boulevard

2. Between Vernon Boulevard/Jackson Avenue and Queensboro Plaza in Long Island City.

And since the (E) will provide 50% of service, then transfer at Court Square.

Edited by RollOver

The ACE need countdown clocks because of the fact that the A goes various location the same countdown closk on the present # line or L the new ones suck ass

The lettered lines are not wired up with ATS yet, like the numbered lines are, so they won't be as accurate until then.

Rumor: (N) & (Q) might be getting all the R-46 from the (F) & (R) to allow Jamaica Yard to be 100% R-160.

Source: Gossip.

Dang, if they want to move the R160s, I suggest they go to the  (C) to replace the R32s until they replace the R46s, which is whenever the R211s shall come.

Dang, if they want to move the R160s, I suggest they go to the  (C) to replace the R32s until they replace the R46s, which is whenever the R211s shall come.

Where do you expect those R32s to go to ?  .... without them or the R42s there would be a Huge shortage of cars in the B division, that is why those R32s aren't going anywhere until the R179s come in.

A little off-topic here:

The NYTM hosting a subway birthday bash where you can ride on the Arnines between Hoyt-Schemerhorn (abandoned platform) and the NYTM all you want. Seems...interesting.

June 14th 9-11 AM

Adult: $55

Child: $30

https://51281.blackbaudhosting.com/51281/Subway-Birthday-Bash

Edited by DailyDose

A little off-topic here:

The NYTM hosting a subway birthday bash where you can ride on the Arnines between Hoyt-Schemerhorn (abandoned platform) and the NYTM all you want. Seems...interesting.

June 14th 9-11 AM

Adult: $55

Child: $30

https://51281.blackbaudhosting.com/51281/Subway-Birthday-Bash

its  a random thoughts thread and its quite unfortunate i Can't go.