SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got pretty lucky earlier this morning. Caught an R32 (J) put-in at Broadway Junction which went express to Crescent, then Woodhaven and then Sutphin due to lateness. Later, I caught an R188 (7) local which actually went express from Willets Point to 74, to 61 and then 33, then made regular stops, and then I caught an uptown (5) at Grand Central going to East 180 that went express after 3 Av-149 St.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

I've been noticing this for a while in the morning: There's supposedly a (5) train that goes to 241st in the morning during the tail end of rush hour. The countdown clocks say it's going to 241st and so does the train itself. I wonder if that train actually makes it to 241st at the end of the trip...

I've been noticing this for a while in the morning: There's supposedly a (5) train that goes to 241st in the morning during the tail end of rush hour. The countdown clocks say it's going to 241st and so does the train itself. I wonder if that train actually makes it to 241st at the end of the trip...

Why wouldn't it if it says that?  Why not take the train to the last stop if you're that intrigued?? 

Why wouldn't it if it says that? Why not take the train to the last stop if you're that intrigued??

1: During the PM rush, some of the (5) trains that are scheduled to head up that way (to Nereid) either terminate at Gun Hill/WPR or get sent to Dyre, or vice versa.

2: I'm on another train going the other way.

So this may be embarrassing to the transit hobbyists, but, I've finally rode a (2) via Lexington. I guess, as well, saw a 62 (6) but then again I've seen them before the 142 as well.

Why would that be embarrassing? Edited by R32sdabest

I think they can do more when the  (7) terminates at 74th Street-Broadway. They already increased  (E) train service, but now for some other things.  (Q) and  (R) trains should swap terminals, and the  (F) should run local, with the  (Q) replacing it. When the  (7) terminated at Queensboro Plaza and the  (Q) got extended to Astoria, it's so that Broadway riders can get to the  (7) via express. So if  (Q) trains are extended to Forest Hills, then Broadway express riders can transfer to the  (7) at Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue.

I think they can do more when the  (7) terminates at 74th Street-Broadway. They already increased  (E) train service, but now for some other things.  (Q) and  (R) trains should swap terminals, and the  (F) should run local, with the  (Q) replacing it. When the  (7) terminated at Queensboro Plaza and the  (Q) got extended to Astoria, it's so that Broadway riders can get to the  (7) via express. So if  (Q) trains are extended to Forest Hills, then Broadway express riders can transfer to the  (7) at Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Avenue.

-Running the (E) and/or (F) local violates ridership demands and guidelines, causing severe overcrowding for long-distance riders traveling between Jamaica, Queens and Midtown/Downtown Manhattan. That's the only reason why they run express anyway.

-Eliminating the (R) from the Queens Boulevard Line takes away its current access from Jamaica's shop and yard, where its trains are maintain and stored. If it ran between Astoria and Bay Ridge, there wouldn't be any decent place to store its trains until at least Canal Street or deadhead via the Sea Beach or West End lines.

-The (Q) already has a single yard access, which is Coney Island. Why should it have two?

-With no weekend Flushing service between 74th and TSQ, simple solution they did in the long run was simply increasing the (E) by 50% without making things more complicated than they are. 

-Running the (E) and/or (F) local violates ridership demands and guidelines, causing severe overcrowding for long-distance riders traveling between Jamaica, Queens and Midtown/Downtown Manhattan. That's the only reason why they run express anyway.

-Eliminating the (R) from the Queens Boulevard Line takes away its current access from Jamaica's shop and yard, where its trains are maintain and stored. If it ran between Astoria and Bay Ridge, there wouldn't be any decent place to store its trains until at least Canal Street or deadhead via the Sea Beach or West End lines.

-The (Q) already has a single yard access, which is Coney Island. Why should it have two?

-With no weekend Flushing service between 74th and TSQ, simple solution they did in the long run was simply increasing the (E) by 50% without making things more complicated than they are. 

I agree... (F) Local No way 

I see where you're coming from, but your ideas really don't benefit anyone. Switching the Q and R doesn't change anything but the southern destination and whether the Broadway line from Queens is either a local or express in Manhattan. With only five local stops (really four since trains to/from Queens stop at 49 St), it doesn't save much time.

Running the E and/or F trains local serves no purpose other than annoying customers who have had to deal with full local Queens Blvd service off and on for the past several months. 65 St on Queens Blvd is the only station closest to the Flushing Line (at 69 St-Fisk) All of the other stations are several long blocks away from the nearest corresponding Flushing station.

Switching topics, there's another update to the NTTs signs. Apparently Pelham has become a dirty word because PELHAM LCL is out on the Parkchester-bound 6 and has been replaced with BRONX EXPRESS on Pelham Bay Park-bound 6-diamond trains

Edited by Lance

I see where you're coming from, but your ideas really don't benefit anyone. Switching the Q and R doesn't change anything but the southern destination and whether the Broadway line from Queens is either a local or express in Manhattan. With only five local stops (really four since trains to/from Queens stop at 49 St), it doesn't save much time.

Running the E and/or F trains local serves no purpose other than annoying customers who have had to deal with full local Queens Blvd service off and on for the past several months. 65 St on Queens Blvd is the only station closest to the Flushing Line (at 69 St-Fisk) All of the other stations are several long blocks away from the nearest corresponding Flushing station.

Switching topics, there's another update to the NTTs signs. Apparently Pelham has become a dirty word because PELHAM LCL is out on the Parkchester-bound 6 and has been replaced with BRONX EXPRESS on Pelham Bay Park-bound 6-diamond trains

Probably changed for easy navigation and recognition of the <6> and (6)

All they have to do is add more (R) train service. The riders from the flushing line don't transfer to the (E) - they transfer to the (R).  Yes the (E) is faster but the (R) is an easier transfer. 

If you don't believe me see for yourself. R trains are loaded to the gills weekends when the 7 isn't running.