SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very random thought: 

I was just glancing at the schedules for all the local buses that serve 179 St on the (F) train in the peak direction during rush hour (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q17, Q36, Q43, Q76, Q77, Q110, N1, N6, N22 and N24) and during the period where all those lines are at their busiest, from around 7:40ish to 8:10ish in the morning, you have about 60 buses altogether from all those lines, running together between 188 and 179 St, headed towards Jamaica. 60 buses in half an hour, all 40 feet long (2400 feet total), is equivalent to 4 full-length (F) trains, each one 600 feet long. In a span of around 30 minutes, that's equal to a train every 7 or 8 minutes.   

You have enough buses feeding to 179 St station to match one train every 7 or 8 minutes, that's pretty damn impressive (or unfortunate I guess, given the lack of train service in eastern Queens)

For comparison, the M15 local and Select bus together have around 18 artic buses per half-hour at their busiest. 18 buses x 60 feet = 1080, so you'd need 1.8 full-length trains to match that amount of service, or one train every 16 or 17 minutes, roughly. I hope the (F) gets extended east someday.

(Jamaica Center and Flushing-Main St are both busier than 179 St, but I think 179 St is kind of an interesting case because all of the bus lines that stop at 179 St run together until 188 St, which is about half a mile away, or the perfect distance for a subway stop. 179 St is really only busy at all because it's the current last stop. If you built just one new stop, at 188 St, 179 St would probably see a huge decrease in ridership. At Jamaica Center and Main St, the bus lines there diverge in different directions immediately, and those stops are in the center of big hubs, so even if they weren't terminals, they'd still be fairly important and busy stops.)

Edited by Mysterious2train

All they have to do is add more (R) train service. The riders from the flushing line don't transfer to the (E) - they transfer to the (R).  Yes the (E) is faster but the (R) is an easier transfer. 

If you don't believe me see for yourself. R trains are loaded to the gills weekends when the 7 isn't running. 

Okay, but then I waited 30 minutes for my  (R) to come today. Ratio: 5  (N) to 6  (Q) to 1  (R) . I thought the MTA could've done better. -.-

R46's screw up the (F)..

I waited 10 minutes to see two R160's on the opposite track pass, yet the (F) doesn't come. Yet, when it comes, it's an R46 and it arrives the same time as the second R160 from the opposite side. The R160 is halfway gone from the station until the over loaded R46 finally budges.......

On a side note: The (7) this weekend: OBSERVATIONS

R62A 2146 to 74 Street, behind is R188 7811 to Queensboro.

Continues in this pattern, 62A to 74, 188 to Queensboro.

R188 sets running were:

7811-7854

7230-7901-7240

It continued in that pattern, until my commute home around 6.

It was R188 to Queensboro, until they changed it. I saw R62A 2146 to queensboro, and R188 7822-7832 terminate at 74th Street. That probably meant an R188 was delayed, and an R62A went first. So it completely changed it to R62A to Queensboro, R188 to 74th. At one point, after 74th Street, there were three R188's in a row. 7844-7854 (One I was on), 7822-7832, and then 7230-7901-7240. Then it was either an R188 or R62A (forgot), then followed by R62A 2146. The rest of the pattern... can't figure out..

Basically, by reduced service, it goes by the pattern Queensboro-74-Queensboro-74 and so on....

The train leaves 74th, goes on the middle track at 69, gets laid up, then goes back after a shot break (after the queensboro train passes).

Edited by R188 7857

R46's screw up the (F)..

OK I see.

A possible reason aside from everything else (Problems with the Church Ave and Bergen St interlocking as well as signal problems that occurs on the QBL) is that 75' cars and the door arrangements spells problems with longer dwelling times as compared to the R160's.

With fewer doors on the 75' in the 8 car set arrangement as compared to the more doors available for boarding/exiting of passengers, as with the 10 car R160's, it lends itself for longer waits at the stations. That's a good point you brought up there and I'll add to that with the reason why R46's on the F isn't exactly working here on the second busiest line on the system IMO.

I guess this will change once the Montague St work is finally complete. No wonder the E doesn't have such problems aside from the fact that its a shorter run anyway.

I mean these R46's: They run and the MDBFs are not bad at all but the 75' design causes problems with passenger load times because of this oversight. On a side note now, I'm pretty sure the MTA will stick with 60' cars with open gangways on the R211s. For this very reason as indicated by a MTA spokesman in recent memory.

Edited by realizm

I like the arctic train idea, but I'm afraid that homeless people won't just stink up one car... instead they'll be stinking up a whole train.

As for the R46 issue, I definitely agree. The (F) is simply way too crowded for R46s to handle. I ride the (F) every day and this is a problem every single time an R46 (F) rolls in. A ton of people hop off the (6) at Bleecker to connect to the (F), and with the reduced number of doors, there is always an issue with people holding doors. The (F) definitely has to be an all 60 foot fleet. Too bad the (R) is taking a bunch of R160s and there's no other viable alternative other than the R46s (unless someone wants more R32s to run on the (F).......).

I like the arctic train idea, but I'm afraid that homeless people won't just stink up one car... instead they'll be stinking up a whole train.

As for the R46 issue, I definitely agree. The (F) is simply way too crowded for R46s to handle. I ride the (F) every day and this is a problem every single time an R46 (F) rolls in. A ton of people hop off the (6) at Bleecker to connect to the (F), and with the reduced number of doors, there is always an issue with people holding doors. The (F) definitely has to be an all 60 foot fleet. Too bad the (R) is taking a bunch of R160s and there's no other viable alternative other than the R46s (unless someone wants more R32s to run on the (F).......).

As a railfan I would want R32s to run on the (F)!

As a commuter ...... no.

As a railfan, I would want the R32s to retire.

As a commuter, I would want the R32s to retire.

You feel much more safe on an R160 than an R32.. And also much more comfortable. The job as a conductor on an R32 is also dangerous and stressful..

Edited by R188 7857

As a railfan, I would want the R32s to retire.

As a commuter, I would want the R32s to retire.

LOL. Never saw this coming....

On the real though yeah used to remember the R46's and the R32s on the E in high school pre-R160 rollout. And yeah even then we had problems with the A/C . Not sure what the MDBF numbers were back then.

Funny, I saw quite a few R160s on the (F) today.

Usually on weekends the F is usually all R160's. Its been like that for a while. Weekdays? Different story.

Edited by realizm

On the real though yeah used to remember the R46's and the R32s on the E in high school pre-R160 rollout. And yeah even then we had problems with the A/C . Not sure what the MDBF numbers were back then.

Usually on weekends the F is usually all R160's. Its been like that for a while. Weekdays? Different story.

I managed to get one of the only R46 sets out yesterday... I was as some would say in "commuter mode" and not "railfan mode", although that was when I just left the R1 at Essex.

Actually there's R46s too on the (F) during the weekends as well. It isn't all R160s