SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually there's R46s too on the (F) during the weekends as well. It isn't all R160s

Thats not what I meant. I said it was mostly R160s on weekends.

I didnt mean all literally.

Let me put it this way: This weekend only 1 R46 was running on the F. One, thats it.

Edited by realizm

Nope there was 3 or possibly 4 running

I dont believe so. But we can agree to disagree. 

Add: Remember that usually there are a couple of R46s running on the F on weekend not disputing that -but- that simply was not the case this weekend. I only saw one all weekend long. Thats it. There was a F GO thats a possible reason.

Moving on from this now.

Edited by realizm

I was told an R68/A might pop up on the (A) during the PM Rush. Not sure how true it is. Don't take my word for it (meaning don't waste your time by standing at one of the (A) platforms for 3 hours). If it's true it will be there all pick.

I was told an R68/A might pop up on the (A) during the PM Rush. Not sure how true it is. Don't take my word for it (meaning don't waste your time by standing at one of the (A) platforms for 3 hours). If it's true it will be there all pick.

There has never been an R68 on the (A), Pitkin does not service them and unless it's for track testing, the only time you will probably see a R68 on the 8th Avenue line is if a (D) is re-routed. But nevertheless, there is always a chance...

Edited by DailyDose

There has never been an R68 on the (A), Pitkin does not service them and unless it's for track testing, the only time you will probably see a R68 on the 8th Avenue line is if a (D) is re-routed. But nevertheless, there is always a chance...

With the  (MTA) involved you never know what might pop up...

There is no safety issue with R32s--if there were, they wouldn't be in service. Their "time" has not come until they are no longer effective in service, and they are still effective in service.

R68/As can and will run on the 8th Ave line as per necessity; concerts see a set as a put-in frequently, other service needs will lead to them running.

Okay, but then I waited 30 minutes for my  (R) to come today. Ratio: 5  (N) to 6  (Q) to 1  (R) . I thought the MTA could've done better. -.-

Right. Hence why they need to add more weekend R service when the 7 isn't running. 

Overcrowding leads to delays. Delays lead to overcrowding. The cycle continues and the delays are residual. 

Although - that sounds more like the aftermath of some sort of earlier incident. 

Edited by itmaybeokay

There have been R68s/68As on the (A) before in the 90s

One R32 and one R68 (or R68A) will come from 207 Yard for PM (A) line service only. The R32 will either be made up at 207 Yard or will be an AM (C) line lay up from 168 with 2 cars added. The (C) requires one less train for the PM rush than the AM rush. The R68 will be a post AM rush lay up off the (B) stored at 207 Yard. Like the (C), the (B) requires one less train for the PM rush compared to the AM rush. At night, the R68 will return to Concourse for the (B) the next morning.

Edited by R32sdabest

One R32 and one R68 (or R68A) will come from 207 Yard for PM (A) line service only.

From the service patterns I have seen today I think your assessment is right on the money. Thats exactly what I think as well. The last R68 on the A went uptown at approx 9PM when I intercepted it at High Street and got the photo, That was  the last run. The N/B R32 from 207th Street terminal set never showed up at High Street Brooklyn where I was at after traveling S/B from 14th Street, so I believe they took it out of service and was sent to 207th St yard.

Edited by realizm

There is some truth to this. In fact, there's a very good chance that yours truly might be operating it tomorrow, since I'm scheduled to do a put-in from 207Y. At the least, I will ask the yard dispatcher what the whole story is.

And yes, I know some of you will take this rumor alone as enough reason to stand all night on the platform waiting for it. I can tell you one thing - EXPECT to see an R68A on the upper broadway line around 9:45AM tomorrow morning.

What's the reason behind putting the hippos on the A anyway?

New daily schedule calls for 40 PM sets, up from 38 last pick, which is more than the (A) has readily available on most days. The (B) and (C) both have one set they can borrow, since their PM requirement is one less than their AM.

New daily schedule calls for 40 PM sets, up from 38 last pick, which is more than the (A) has readily available on most days. The (B) and (C) both have one set they can borrow, since their PM requirement is one less than their AM.

Ok I get it now. I was about to ask the same question.

A random thought: I've ridden an R46 (D) train but that was back in the 90s shortly after GOH.

You know speaking of which I never to this date was on an R160 D even thiugh I did spot one. This was I think over the winter.

Edited by realizm