SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

R68 #2506 has some sort of LED white-blue lighting over doors 3 and 4, makes the car look a little more modern.

You know what annoys me even more about the R142A conversions? They use the old, and dim lights of the R142A. I'm fine with that actually. But for them to cut a light, put the CBTC kit cabinet thing there, and then leave a portion of the original light, and install the new light in it. Therefore, it makes the light seem weird and uneven...

You can see it in the beginning of this video, credits to Tech and Transit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwDAlso0I84

Several questions.

1. At Queens Plaza, when the (E) was running local and went back to the express track after Queens Plaza to go to 53rd Street Line, it took the switch at like 2.5 times faster than the average switch speed. Is there something special about the switch that lets it go that fast? It goes the regular slow at the other switch on Jamaica-bound. Also, aren't switches symmetrical? If it is, then why was a (R) express train I was on need to go the regular slow?

2. Why are most R142/A doors uneven?

3. Are the same moving platforms at Union Square implemented at South Ferry?

4. I noticed that most platforms south of Grand Central are not lined up with the platform on the other side. Why? And also, when the transfer between uptown (6) and (B)  (D)  (F)  (M) was made, did the (MTA) extend the platform south, then close off the northern section?

5. What is the chance of finding an empty (4)  (5)  (6) train? Are they always crowded? And if the (5) train is the most crowded train in the system (From 2012), then why did I find an empty (5) train while riding my empty (6) train?

I know this is probably last week's news now, but if anyone is still dying to ride that R68 on the (A) , it now has an official supplement - it will make one round trip each weekday, on the 1853 out of 207 to Lefferts, and the 2003 Lefferts to 207, and then runs lite back to Concourse. This is expected to last until the end of the year, or until we get some R179's, whichever happens first.

Edited by Snowblock

Won't happen. Almost did today, but the 207 T/D's decided to send two Lefferts trains in a row followed by two Far Rock trains in a row in order to prevent the 68 from going there. The crew that does that trip from Lefferts to 207 with the 68 is the same crew who takes it back to Concourse, so they need it to be sent to Lefferts for that crew to get on it. Since this is borrowed equipment which HAS to get returned that same night, there's no messing around with this supplement.

Edited by Snowblock

How about the R32 (A)?

That's a wild card. As long as it makes it back to 207 in time to get cut back to 8 cars for the next morning, they can do whatever they want with it. It will most likely also be used for one or two Lefferts trips in the PM rush (no set schedule, it will vary day to day) and then get laid up early enough that there's no danger of it ending up as the shuttle train. Also you can forget about it ever being used for a Rock Park trip, since all of those trains lay up there upon arrival.

It's so weird seeing those R68As back on the (N). It's a blast from the past.

Isn't it? I like the transverse seating when you can get a window seat at least. On the occasions I take the N I'm getting on at 30th ave so the train has only made two stops and is usually pretty sparse toward the front. 

I happened to catch one just by chance Tuesday morning, snapped a photo just because.

6aOg2kP.jpg

Isn't it? I like the transverse seating when you can get a window seat at least. On the occasions I take the N I'm getting on at 30th ave so the train has only made two stops and is usually pretty sparse toward the front. 

I happened to catch one just by chance Tuesday morning, snapped a photo just because.

6aOg2kP.jpg

2+. Nice!

Several questions.

1. At Queens Plaza, when the (E) was running local and went back to the express track after Queens Plaza to go to 53rd Street Line, it took the switch at like 2.5 times faster than the average switch speed. Is there something special about the switch that lets it go that fast? It goes the regular slow at the other switch on Jamaica-bound. Also, aren't switches symmetrical? If it is, then why was a (R) express train I was on need to go the regular slow?

2. Why are most R142/A doors uneven?

3. Are the same moving platforms at Union Square implemented at South Ferry?

4. I noticed that most platforms south of Grand Central are not lined up with the platform on the other side. Why? And also, when the transfer between uptown (6) and (B)  (D)  (F)  (M) was made, did the (MTA) extend the platform south, then close off the northern section?

5. What is the chance of finding an empty (4)  (5)  (6) train? Are they always crowded? And if the (5) train is the most crowded train in the system (From 2012), then why did I find an empty (5) train while riding my empty (6) train?

Can somebody answer me?

1. Not sure

2. To get people to move to the center I guess...only the B cars are like that

3. Yes

4. When they extended the platforms in the 50s. The parts that are offset are the extensions. Yes they closed off the northern section

5. Outside of rush hours is your biggest bet

I took the (N) to Coney Island from Chinatown Tuesday night just as split service started. The dispatchers sent the 8 Avenue-bound (N) on its way right before the (N) coming from Manhattan came to a stop. Some folks were very pissed as they were watching this. The train operator, conductor, and dispatchers were lucky they were not around to take "questions" from these folks.

Several questions.

Empty (6) trains are a lot easier to find from the Bronx than from Manhattan. Specifically on weekends, if you hope on the front of a train from Pelham Bay Park at around 5-6 PM there won't be a soul there. There's always somebody getting on at Brooklyn Bridge. Same thing getting an empty (4)(5) : look for it in the Bronx, not in Brooklyn or Bowling Green.

I took the (N) to Coney Island from Chinatown Tuesday night just as split service started. The dispatchers sent the 8 Avenue-bound (N) on its way right before the (N) coming from Manhattan came to a stop. Some folks were very pissed as they were watching this. The train operator, conductor, and dispatchers were lucky they were not around to take "questions" from these folks.

Yep, that's how Murphy Tower rolls.

You can find empty 456 trains in the Bronx in the reverse peak direction, like right after the AM rush for example.

Any subway line in the city headed towards Midtown Manhattan, Lower Manhattan and/or Downtown Brooklyn during the AM rush (or reverse in the PM rush) will be busier in that direction than the other. Weekend crowding levels may probably resemble both AM and PM rushes, but I am not the certain off the top of my head.