SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I read on the (MTA) website, that due to the "inclement weather" all the GO's except the (L)(1)(2)(7). The (E)(F) ran local on Queens Blvd today because of the "inclement weather"

The Uptown (2) and (3) ran local today b/w Times Square-42nd Street and 96th Street...it was barely any snow sticking to the ground for it to suspend express service on certain lines!

The MTA should find a way to distinguish the IND 155 Street stations apart from each other. The only way to tell it apart is the wall tiles (Concourse line has "155th Street-8th Avenue), but it does not say that on the map or on newer station signage. They might seem close on a map, but because of the topography, it is hard to get from one station to another.

Damn those speakers are loud... Just overheard a conducter of a (J) en route to Parsons/Archer announce that it was the last stop (Cypress Hills). Let me add in my windows were closed. Wonder what happened...

*Update* Now it's wrong-railing towards Manhattan. Interesting...

There was a police investigation.

My (Q) train got rerouted via Whitehall today and this surprised me:

Charlie Pellett: This is a Queens bound (Q) train via the (R) line

Catherine Cowdery?: The next stop is Rector Street.

Never heard him say that part of the train. Once the Q left Canal, it went back express.

With time to spare and an unlimited card I decided to visit some stations in the Bronx today. Whitlock on the (6) looks great, I like those 'art seats'. Would've gotten some pics, but there was a cop on the platform and I didn't feel like getting into an argument. I went down to the street and took a few pics of the el from below and walked halfway to what looks like some converted insutrial site park.

Later took the Bx12 sbs to the (2) and got to Gun hill road. The whole mezzanine area looks pretty good and other than a few tresses, there's almost no way to tell the 3rd av el ever stopped there (which is a shame).

Eventually made my way over to the (1) line to get some pics of the yard, bridge, 242nd station and 125th st station from the street.

All in all a very productive day.* I will say it wasn't issue free as I was a bit worried when I saw a few groups of 'kids' at a few areas, but thankfully we just passed each other and not even a word was said.

*backed up on pics, so will be some time if I ever get to it.

Guest lance25

The (4) and (5) run local downtown between 125 St and Grand Central and uptown (6) (and (4)s overnight) run express between Brooklyn Bridge & 14 St-Union Sq. All these take place on Sunday.

Due to ATS system maintenance the countdown clocks will be offline on A division lines on Saturday from 7a.m. to 7p.m., according to a tweet from NYCTSubwayScoop.

I didn't wanna create a separate thread for this, as it isn't that important, so I thought this was the appropriate thread.

Yeah, its the official upgrade to tie in the WPR line.

Due to ATS system maintenance the countdown clocks will be offline on A division lines on Saturday from 7a.m. to 7p.m., according to a tweet from NYCTSubwayScoop.

I didn't wanna create a separate thread for this, as it isn't that important, so I thought this was the appropriate thread.

Yeah, that threw me off today waiting for the (3). But since the station I get on at (Rockaway Av), the train comes off a hill at that point so seeing the train from the stairs from the outside made it somewhat easier. Also a good picture spot

Plus I caught the set that has the bench seating (1586-1590). Much more comfortable than the regular bucket seats

Yeah, that threw me off today waiting for the (3). But since the station I get on at (Rockaway Av), the train comes off a hill at that point so seeing the train from the stairs from the outside made it somewhat easier. Also a good picture spot

Plus I caught the set that has the bench seating (1586-1590). Much more comfortable than the regular bucket seats

IIRC, it was just 4 of the 5 cars. 1586 has bucket seats. Pity the rest of the system didn't adopt those types of seats. They are better as they don't have dividers and 'normal sized' folks can sit more comfortably.