SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you ever ride the (N) train late at nights via Whitehall, there's a little glitch they never got around to fixing. At Jay St, it announces itself as a transfer point. It says this...

This is Jay St-Metrotech. Transfer is available to the (A)(F) and (N) trains...

It doesn't matter which way you go, it does it both ways. I would get a picture or make a recording of it, but my phone is usually dead by that time. Check it out one night

IIRC, it was just 4 of the 5 cars. 1586 has bucket seats. Pity the rest of the system didn't adopt those types of seats. They are better as they don't have dividers and 'normal sized' folks can sit more comfortably.

They all have them. I was sitting in 1586 itself

Got on the 'Union sq' set 1431-4,8 on the (3) and finally saw the 96th st station house on Broadway. I will miss the partial 'platforms' where the booth and turnstiles were that made it unique, but I can't complain about the results.

Also saw the newly renovated Av H station house on the Brighton line. Looks the same, but at least not in shambles as before.

Both look great.

Stumbled upon this while checking out future G.Os.

(Q) Coney Island-bound trains skip Avenue U and Neck Rd

Weekend, 4 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, Mar 17 - 18

For service to these stations, take the to Sheepshead Bay and transfer to a Manhattan-bound .

For service from these stations, take the to Kings Hwy and transfer to a Coney Island-bound .

Note: This service change is scheduled to operate until Nov 16.

Is it an error, or there is actually something going on that will take half a year in weekends?

I hereby support the following service changes that will benefit MANY (and I mean, many) riders during the rush hour. The service changes will be in effect next month.

*The (A) will run from Norwood - 205 St to Far Rockaway or Lefferts Blvd via 8th Av/Fulton St Express. The Rockaway Park branch will be labeled as the (K) to eliminate confusion and will terminate at 168 St instead.

*The (:) will run from Washington Heights to Coney Island via CPW local/6th Av Exp and 4th Av Exp/West End local.

*The (C) will run from Bedford Park Blvd to Euclid Ave via 8th Av/Fulton St local.

*The (D) will run from Inwood to Brighton Beach via CPW/6th Av/Brighton Express.

*The (E) will run from Forest Hills to World Trade Center via the 53 St connector, and Queens Blvd/8th Av local.

*The (F) will run from Forest Hills to Coney Island via the 53 St connector, Queens Blvd/6th Av local and Culver Express.

*The (G) will be extended to Kings Highway to complement the (F) Culver Express. Court Square service unchanged.

*The (J) and (Z) will run from Jamaica Center to 9 Av via Jamaica Skip Stop and Nassau St/4 Av local, to provide more service in Brooklyn. Skip stop service will now run between 121 St and Marcy Avenue.

*The (L) remains unchanged.

*The (M) will run between Metropolitan Ave and Jamaica via Jamaica Exp/6th Ave local and Queens Blvd Express via 63 St.

*The (N) will run from Jamaica Center to Bay Ridge via Queens Blvd Exp and Broadway/4 Av local. Some trains will run to Jamaica via Hillside Av Express.

*The (Q) will run from Astoria to Coney Island via Astoria local and Broadway/Sea Beach Exp.

*The (R) will run from Astoria to Whitehall St via Astoria/Broadway local.

*(S) services unchanged.

*The (W) will run from 57 St to Coney Island via Broadway Exp/Brighton local.

*(1)(2)(3) services unchanged. (I can't think of a logical reroute...)

*The (4) will run from Woodlawn to Brooklyn Bridge via Jerome Av/Lexington local.

*The (5) will run from Eastchester Av to Crown Heights via WPR/Lex/Eastern Pkwy Exp. Nereid Av service will run express between Gun Hill Road and E. 180 St.

*(6) service unchanged. <6> will run to Flatbush Avenue via Pelham/Lex/Eastern Pkwy Exp.

*(7) service unchanged.

Wow, it took me more than an hour to type all of this... there may be errors, so I'll correct them in a while. Expect a Midday service changes edition one day. ;)

Edited by IRT Bronx Express

I hereby support the following service changes that will benefit MANY (and I mean, many) riders during the rush hour. The service changes will be in effect next month.

*The (A) will run from Norwood - 205 St to Far Rockaway or Lefferts Blvd via 8th Av/Fulton St Express. The Rockaway Park branch will be labeled as the (K) to eliminate confusion and will terminate at 168 St instead.

Norwood to Far Rockaway? Sounds like a subway "rte" a certain somebody would create. B)

Guest lance25

It flip-flops quite often between the two boroughs. Sometimes, Roosevelt Island is classified as part of Manhattan (which it technically is) while at others, it's a part of Queens. Even the R160s don't know which one Roosevelt Island belongs to. The "Jamaica-179 St-bound" announcement starts upon opening the doors at Roosevelt Island whereas the FINDs show Queens as the next borough at 21 St-Queensbridge.

How does the (:) turn around @ Beford Park Blvd during rush hours? Layover on the middle track like at 145th? Relay on the Concourse Yard leads?

I never been up there during rush hours so IDK lol, been wondering this for a while now.

Probably layover on center track.

How does the (;) turn around @ Beford Park Blvd during rush hours? Layover on the middle track like at 145th? Relay on the Concourse Yard leads?

I never been up there during rush hours so IDK lol, been wondering this for a while now.

Yeah it layover on the middle track, just like 145 Street. If it stops on the uptown (D) "local" platform, then that train is going to the Concourse Yard.

Yeah it layover on the middle track, just like 145 Street. If it stops on the uptown (D) "local" platform, then that train is going to the Concourse Yard.

What's funny about that station is that "local" platform is actually the express platform, as the middle track can't be accessed from 3/4 track at Kingsbridge going north. Just south of Bedford, its briefly four tracks - the two inners are the locals, the two outers are the express.

Seen the schoolcar at Flatbush Avtoday. Completely threw me off to see a R62A over there. The guy in the tower didn't seem to happy about it cuz he was arguing with someone in the train

screenshot1330435078969.png

Finally, after almost 2 years (W) will resume with residual delays.:tup:

Actual email, not edited

I got that notification on Twitter a few days ago.

If there were a Broadway Fastrack, how would you change service?

I would do this:

Shut down the entire Broadway line from 34 Street-Herald Square to DeKalb Avenue including Montague tunnel. Q trains rerouted via 6 ave express, N trains split in 2 sections while the R train runs as the 95-59 shuttle. The (2), (3), (4), (5), (D), and (E) trains provide alternate service.

(N) trains run in 2 sections:

1. From Astoria-Ditmars Blvd. to 34 Street-Herald Square. Note: Uptown N trains skip 49 Street Transfer to the (D) train for Brooklyn service.

2. From Stillwell Avenue to 36 Street via Sea Beach. Transfer to the D train for Manhattan bound service. Note: 36 Street bound trains skip 53 and 45 Streets.

(Q) trains run from Stillwell Avenue to DeKalb Avenue then via the (D) to 47-50 Streets and then via the (F) to 21 Street-Queensbridge. (F) trains rerouted via the (M) between 47-50 Sts and Queens Plaza in both directions. Free shuttle buses are available between 21 Street and Queens Plaza.

(R) trains run as a shuttle between Bay Ridge-95 Street and 59 Street. All trains board at the Manhattan bound platform.

(D) trains run local in Brooklyn in both directions, stopping at DeKalb Avenue.

That's how I did the service changes, I really found it difficult though. Any of you guys or ladies have better ideas? Please share. ;)

I'd think the line would be shut down farther, maybe even to QBP/QP.

Assuming that:

(F) Manhattan-bound trains run via the (E) from Roosevelt Av to 5 Av/53 St.

(N) No trains between Queensboro Plaza and 21 St - Queensbridge. The southern section operates via the (D) from Atlantic/Pacific to 47/50 St.

(Q) Trains run via the (D) from Atlantic/Pacific to 47/50 St, then proceed to terminate at 21 St - Queensbridge.

(R) Service ends early - Brooklyn shuttle starts at 10 PM.

Alternate routes:

(N) Use the (7) (QBP to 42 St) to connect between sections.

(Q) Use nearby 6 Av stations.

(R) Use the (D)(N) at nearby 6 Av stations to connect to the shuttle at 36 St.

OR, an easier alternative.

(N) No trains between Queensboro Plaza and Queens Plaza. The southern section runs via the (D) from Atlantic/Pacific to 47/50 Sts, then via the (E) to Queens Plaza.

(Q) Trains run via the (D) from Atlantic/Pacific to 47/50 Sts, then via the (E) to Queens Plaza.

(R) Service ends early - Brooklyn shuttle starts at 10 PM.

Alternate routes:

(N) Use the (7) (QBP to 42 St) to connect between sections or walk from Queens Plaza to Queensboro Plaza via a free out-of-system transfer.

(Q) Use nearby 6 Av stations.

(R) Use the (D)(N) at nearby 6 Av stations to connect to the shuttle at 36 St.

If they were to do such a MC transfer for QBP and QP, they should leave that as a permanent thing, imo. The stations are basically right above one another.

An example: perhaps an Astoria rider wants to get to somewhere along QB before Roosevelt Av and doesn't want to take the (7) or double back to Manhattan at 59th-Lex to take the (R) back. And it would save them the need of having to take the (7) down to 45th to take the (M).

Hem, from what i can remember, it seems almost impossible as even if they were to build a set of stairs [something similar to the stairs from the Manhattan bound (C) to the overpass connected to the Franklin (S)] going directly from the IND mezzanine to the QBP one, except it would still be out of the 'fare zone'. That's why I think it's just practical to go with MC transfer only.