SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a friend who's moving to Jackson Heights, but she's still going to commute to SI. She said she planned to take the (E) to Times Square for the (1) to South Ferry, but instead I suggested taking the (R) to 59th Street/Lexington Avenue for the (4)/(5). How much time do you think my suggestion saved her? Between the fact that it's more direct by avoiding the West Side and the fact that you just have to go down a flight of steps to transfer rather than go through a long passageway? (And keep in mind that if a (2) or (3) came, she wouldn't take it to Chambers Street for the (1). She would just wait for the (1).)

She'd have to be in school by 8:00AM, so I assume she'd miss the crowds and delays on the Lexington Avenue Line, right? (She'd have to catch the 7:00AM ferry, which means she'd probably be getting on the train around 6:40AM or so).

If she was able to come in at 8:45AM, and had to be on the Lexington Avenue Line at 7:25AM, I assume there wouldn't be that much crowding and delays at that hour, right?

Guest lance25

Yeah, if I were her, I'd take the (R) to the (4) or (5). It's only five minutes added to the commute from Queens to Manhattan (that's if nothing's wrong with the line though) and like you said, that's a hike from Port Authority to Times Square. Add that to the slow (1) local and Lexington Avenue has it beat by a mile.

Yeah, if I were her, I'd take the (R) to the (4) or (5). It's only five minutes added to the commute from Queens to Manhattan (that's if nothing's wrong with the line though) and like you said, that's a hike from Port Authority to Times Square. Add that to the slow (1) local and Lexington Avenue has it beat by a mile.

She also thought she could take the (F) to the (4)/(5), but she didn't realize it was an OOS transfer, so she would use up an extra ride because she needs to take the S46 at the other end (plus, she would have to go all the way up to the street level, walk 4 blocks, and then go back down).

The expressaholic in me first thought to take the (E) to the (6) to the (4)(5), but then I realized how long that passageway is from the (E) to the (6), versus the simple transfer at 59th Street (plus, they don't always hold for the connection between the local and express at 42nd Street).

She owes me one. With that long commute, she's going to need every minute of sleep she can get. :eek:

Guest MTA Bus

Today, at Broadway Junction on the (L) level, I saw R160 # 8316 was signed up for the (V) to Jamaica - 179th St. The Destation Sign said:

(V) 6th Av LCL/53rd St

(V) Queens Blvd LCL

(V) Jamaica - 179th St

Today, at Broadway Junction on the (L) level, I saw R160 # 8316 was signed up for the (V) to Jamaica - 179th St. The Destation Sign said:

(V) 6th Av LCL/53rd St

(V) Queens Blvd LCL

(V) Jamaica - 179th St

YAY! The (V) is back! With an extention! :)

Guest lance25

(V) 6th Av LCL/53rd St

(V) Queens Blvd LCL

(V) Jamaica - 179th St

YAY! The (V) is back! With an extention! :)

The (V) and (W) programs are still in the system, as are the old (Mx) routes.

Today, the Franklin Ave shuttle was operating from the SB platform @ Propect Park today, which means the train was running though the tunnel where that big wreck happened back in the day.

There was only one train running up and down the entire line, instead of two.

Cool to ride a train though that tunnel. :cool:

Today, the Franklin Ave shuttle was operating from the SB platform @ Propect Park today, which means the train was running though the tunnel where that big wreck happened back in the day.

There was only one train running up and down the entire line, instead of two.

Cool to ride a train though that tunnel. :cool:

That was waaaay back in the day. 1918, to be exact! So, you rode on that notorious S curve. Scared at all?

That was waaaay back in the day. 1918, to be exact! So, you rode on that notorious S curve. Scared at all?

Nah, I wasn't scared lol. I was kinda exitied that I got to ride a new stretch of track in the subway. I know there's a run on the FS that travels though there daily around 10 PM, I always wanted to ride it, but today I got lucky, highlight of an otherwise shitty day.

At 6 mph?

TBH it didn't seem much slower than the NB side.

This morning while heading back home from Queens, I was hoping to catch the last (Z) of the morning to get back to Bway Jct. The bus timing didnt work out in my favor so I ended up catching the (J) right behind it, which wasn't a skip-stop one. As my train got to Sutphin, an R42 (J) comes in the station going back to Jamaica Center. Something in me was saying just let the train go since it was crowded but I was super tired and I managed to get a seat on the train (something very hard to do at Jamaica Center in the mornings.)

(V) 6th Av LCL/53rd St

(V) Queens Blvd LCL

(V) Jamaica - 179th St

Its still sitting there as of this morning

I dunno if this is old, but the R160 set 9193-9197 is back @ JY. I remember some R160B's, up to #9197 were moved to CI, seems that last set is back.

btw is there any reason why the (MTA) wouldn't put R68A's on the (G) when it first got the 68's? It seemed liek it took a while for the (G) to share the entire (;) fleet.

The (4) was surprisingly fast this morning. Usually the Lex Av Express runs at what I deem 'rush hour speed' where it starts running slow between 86th St and 59th St in the morning. It can take 20 minutes to get from 125th to 42nd at 'rush hour speed'. Today the (4) did it in just over 10 minutes running very smoothly between 86th and 59th. It made me wonder if there were as many (4)/(5) trains as there should have been this morning.

Funny you bring up that part of the Lex, the other day I just realized the (4)/(5) take the same amount of time to travel from 125th to Grand Central as Metro North (10 minutes).

Mind = Blown.

Maybe it's because Metro-North trains have to switch many across many tracks.

(J) at Chambers street - pull in on track 4, go downstairs to relay, pull it back out on track 3 to go north.

(J) at Broad - pull in the s/b track, punch, go to one of two relay tracks (tracks to Brooklyn descend on both sides of the relay tracks in the middle to meet the Montague tunnel where the (R) is). Punch to come out on the n/b track. Late nights, pull into s/b track, change ends, leave via the same track, punch to cross over to n/b tracks at Fulton.

(J) at Chambers street - pull in on track 4, go downstairs to relay, pull it back out on track 3 to go north.

(J) at Broad - pull in the s/b track, punch, go to one of two relay tracks (tracks to Brooklyn descend on both sides of the relay tracks in the middle to meet the Montague tunnel where the (R) is). Punch to come out on the n/b track. Late nights, pull into s/b track, change ends, leave via the same track, punch to cross over to n/b tracks at Fulton.

Thank you sir.