SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if the R160s have a program for Q to Forest Hills-71 Av, like they did after 9/11,

and the R160s should know about the BMT 63rd Street, so there can be a progam for Queensbridge via Broadway like they did with the 6th Ave Fastrack.

During FASTRACK the Q was correctly programmed for Queensbridge, unless you are talking about something else.

But anyways, they should preserve extra* R42 cars, at least one trains worth. Because think about it. When was the last time you've seen a famous video with the MTA in it? When was the last time you saw one with NTTs?

It may seem like its asking a lot, but there is a very high demand for the R42s. Because if they only ran a two car train, it would look crappy.

Edited by CDTA

My friend said she made the trip. It turns out she started from Forest Hills, not Jackson Heights. She took the (E) to Lexington Avenue, and then took the (6) to Grand Central for the (4)/(5), and said she made it to South Ferry in 45 minutes. I suggested that if she saw an (R) at Queens Plaza, that she take it to 59th Street and then walk down the steps to the (4)/(5) to avoid that long passageway at 53rd Street/Lexington Avenue, but she said if she goes to the back of the train, it's not that bad. Whatever works for her I guess...

It still sucks to have such a long commute, though. She has to spend another hour on the ferry and bus, so in order to get to school at 8:00AM, she has to leave at 6:15AM. Ah well, at least there's one more supporter of reverse-peak S96 service. B) Now, we just have to find a way of getting ahold of the politicians. I wonder if she'd be interested in petitioning other riders.

Guest Lance

Actually, no. The 4-line starts running local in Manhattan around 1AM so apparently, the 4-local service is starting earlier than normal, hence the poster.

When's the last time you've seen a train terminate at Pelham Pkwy (Dyre)?

I know, but I proposed a scenario in which it would be needed. A stalled or de-railed train at Morris Park. The train could use the express tracks to Phelam Parkway, then operate the Dyre Av Shuttle on the local tracks using the switch at Gun Hill Rd.

I know, but I proposed a scenario in which it would be needed. A stalled or de-railed train at Morris Park. The train could use the express tracks to Phelam Parkway, then operate the Dyre Av Shuttle on the local tracks using the switch at Gun Hill Rd.

There are no crossovers after Morris Park. When anything major happens along the line, the line gets shut down and after awhile, shuttle buses appear.

There are no crossovers after Morris Park. When anything major happens along the line, the line gets shut down and after awhile, shuttle buses appear.

No what i'm saying is they would run in two parts. They would use the express (center) tracks from all trains coming south to Phelam Parkway, then have the shuttle terminate there on the regular tracks, using the switch that is just south of Gun Hill Rd.

Guest Lance

As always, the local media just can't get the service changes right. As of this post, WCBS' website has a banner across the top of the page denoting the shutdown of the Manhattan-bound Hillside/Queens Blvd local tracks between Parsons Blvd (Hillside) and Forest Hills-71 Av. The problem: well here's the text...

Tracks will close between Parsons Blvd. and 71st Avenue in Forest Hills from midnight Saturday to 5 a.m. Monday.

Not only does that seem to note that there isn't any service between those two stations; the actual service change is in effect until next Monday, the 16th, not this coming Monday.

Typical.