SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

That'd turn the Astoria line into the most dangerous subway line, even if it didn't stop there. Someone in the prison would find a way down there. Maybe some does a Dufresne with the pipers.

Well actually, if it were to go through Rikers there would be a stop there, otherwise it could just cut through the water.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what will happen to the Franklin Av Shuttle once all 75 footers are retired. Will the sets be shortened to 120' AA or will they be lengthened to 180' ABA? The platforms look like they can handle 180' or at least be extended to accommodate increased length of the train.

Had to tutor a kid up in Washington Heights today for a few hours....Stopped at my office and then walked over the (D) and took that to 59th street to transfer to the (A) train. Took the (A) train up to 168th street and was in disbelief at how disgusting those stations are up there. Then I had to transfer to the (1) train to get off at 191st street. Walking up the platform at 168th street I thought a huge rat was coming my way, but then looked carefully and it was pigeon... I was about to say... Another Fulton St. of the old days but just north... <_< I can't believe those folks up there allow the (MTA) to get away with not even cleaning the platforms...

Had to tutor a kid up in Washington Heights today for a few hours....Stopped at my office and then walked over the (D) and took that to 59th street to transfer to the (A) train. Took the (A) train up to 168th street and was in disbelief at how disgusting those stations are up there. Then I had to transfer to the (1) train to get off at 191st street. Walking up the platform at 168th street I thought a huge rat was coming my way, but then looked carefully and it was pigeon... I was about to say... Another Fulton St. of the old days but just north... <_< I can't believe those folks up there allow the (MTA) to get away with not even cleaning the platforms...

You went Riverdale > Washington Hts via Midtown? :o

The (1) or the (A)? Either way, I don't really think they're that bad, like most of the people here. Also there are always pigeons at 168th, because of the amount of space, station height, lots of ledges, and easy (well easy compared to most underground lines) acssess, from outside. I don't know why they don't go to 181st tough. Maybe because of the construction?

I wonder what will happen to the Franklin Av Shuttle once all 75 footers are retired. Will the sets be shortened to 120' AA or will they be lengthened to 180' ABA? The platforms look like they can handle 180' or at least be extended to accommodate increased length of the train.

Which is why I still hope that when they have to re-rennovate the entire line again, they extend the platforms to handle a 300' train. I don't see it being smart to have 3 3-car sets around as if you need to 'borrow it' it can't run on anything except maybe the (C).

You went Riverdale > Washington Hts via Midtown? :o

LOL... I took the BxM1 from Riverdale over to my office in Midtown first and then I walked over to 47-50 st for the (D) then took that to the (A) at 59th street. I needed one of my laptops for a project here in my office and I was not taking that with me up to Washington Heights to risk getting robbed or something, so I dropped that at my office. No need to make yourself a target unnecessarily which I don't do, even though I can certainly take care of myself. Even so I'm not up for the subway on the weekends unless I have to use it. My feet are killing me from all of the stairs and hills and such up there. Oh and what's up with those (A) trains? Seems like they don't have any AC at all... <_<

The (1) or the (A)? Either way, I don't really think they're that bad, like most of the people here. Also there are always pigeons at 168th, because of the amount of space, station height, lots of ledges, and easy (well easy compared to most underground lines) acssess, from outside. I don't know why they don't go to 181st tough. Maybe because of the construction?

I was particularly referring to the (1) line. I actually think those stations up there are quite a unique and decent in terms of the tiles and such, but the platforms are FILTHY. And yes, I'm aware of the pigeons, it's just that I haven't been up there in some time since the last time I tutored a kid up there. I could've gotten off at 181st street, but I said forget it. That station looks even worse and dirtier with the construction. 191st is a tad better but not by much. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

LOL... I took the BxM1 from Riverdale over to my office in Midtown first and then I walked over to 47-50 st for the (D) then took that to the (A) at 59th street. I needed one of my laptops for a project here in my office and I was not taking that with me up to Washington Heights to risk getting robbed or something, so I dropped that at my office. No need to make yourself a target unnecessarily which I don't do, even though I can certainly take care of myself. Even so I'm not up for the subway on the weekends unless I have to use it. My feet are killing me from all of the stairs and hills and such up there. Oh and what's up with those (A) trains? Seems like they don't have any AC at all... <_<

I was particularly referring to the (1) line. I actually think those stations up there are quite a unique and decent in terms of the tiles and such, but the platforms are FILTHY. And yes, I'm aware of the pigeons, it's just that I haven't been up there in some time since the last time I tutored a kid up there. I could've gotten off at 181st street, but I said forget it. That station looks even worse and dirtier with the construction. 191st is a tad better but not by much. lol

Well, they cleaned up the trash and pee at the ends of the platform, and they are doing so on a regular basis. Now that that's gone I think its fine.

Which is why I still hope that when they have to re-rennovate the entire line again, they extend the platforms to handle a 300' train. I don't see it being smart to have 3 3-car sets around as if you need to 'borrow it' it can't run on anything except maybe the (C).

Another bad outcome, is that ABA creates a deficiency in motor cars, while leaving extra "trailer" cars idle. Probably the TA will leave 68s on that shuttle until there are no more spare parts, which may last for couple decades. :D

Is there a reason why the G doesn't terminate at 71st-Continental Avenue anymore?

Financial cutbacks of 2010

Another bad outcome, is that ABA creates a deficiency in motor cars, while leaving extra "trailer" cars idle. Probably the TA will leave 68s on that shuttle until there are no more spare parts, which may last for couple decades. :D

Oh of course, but the thing is, if they are doing another 'full rebuild', then this time make sure the platforms are in place for future cars. And just because they extend the platforms to 300', doesn't mean they have to use anything other than the single unit R68s. I think the 2-car trains are sufficient because the R68s aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Guest Lance

That's a real sign, though it could be worded differently depending on the trainset. There are codes for the (F) via any of the south Brooklyn lines on the R46s. Unless that train way actually running down the Culver express tracks, it's probably was a mistake by the conductor or something. Then again, those things are over 20 years old, so he/she could've keyed in the right code and got something completely different.

I rode a 4 train (1250) which still has the "BROOKLYN EXPRESS" reading as well as "TO WOODLAWN". Not only that but it still announced the M at Chambers and the W and did not mention using your Metrocard to transfer to the F at 59 Street.

That same consist would also announce the (V) if it happened to stop at 51st between 6am-12am. Edited by TwoTimer

Guest Lance

I wonder if that set still announces the pre-Manhattan Bridge reopening transfers. I say that because I may have caught that same consist back in '08 and the transfers at Atlantic Av and Borough Hall were (M)(N)(Q)(R)(W) LIRR and (2)(3)(M)(N)(R) respectively, both by Jessica.

I wonder if that set still announces the pre-Manhattan Bridge reopening transfers. I say that because I may have caught that same consist back in '08 and the transfers at Atlantic Av and Borough Hall were (M)(N)(Q)(R)(W) LIRR and (2)(3)(M)(N)(R) respectively, both by Jessica.

Probably, along with the (F)(V) and Grand St (S) at Bleecker. There was a 142A set out there on the (6) that did that too, but I think they got to that one.

I rode a 4 train (1250) which still has the "BROOKLYN EXPRESS" reading as well as "TO WOODLAWN". Not only that but it still announced the M at Chambers and the W and did not mention using your Metrocard to transfer to the F at 59 Street.
Any idea if the (6) Bronx Express reading exists or not? I haven't seen that reading for years now.