SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I'm hoping the (MTA) will update the NTT announcements to announce the transfer to the M34/M34A SBS at 34th St soon, but given how long it took the R160 announcements to get updated with the M15 SBS (I don't even know if the R142s have them, but I doubt it) it'll probably take a while.

Edited by Mysterious2train

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lance

The only IRT line that would announce the M15 Select is the (1), but since that line rarely uses NTTs, we won't know for a while. As for the lack of announcements regarding the M34/34A Select, I can't say I'm surprised that it's taken so long to update the transfers (again).

I was thinking about the (2) as well, for those rare times when it's sent to South Ferry. But I don't even know if an actual (2) program to South Ferry exists, so wanting an announcement about the M15 at South Ferry would be getting ahead of myself.

Edited by Mysterious2train

I was thinking about the (2) as well, for those rare times when it's sent to South Ferry. But I don't even know if an actual (2) program to South Ferry exists, so wanting an announcement about the M15 at South Ferry would be getting ahead of myself.

There's one for (2) to Bowling Green, which is normally used, or (2) to Chambers.

Guest Lance

There isn't a program for the (2) to South Ferry. At all. (2) to Chambers St is the program most crews fall back on when the trains are diverted to South Ferry and they do manual announcements after Chambers St.

The only IRT line that would announce the M15 Select is the (1), but since that line rarely uses NTTs, we won't know for a while. As for the lack of announcements regarding the M34/34A Select, I can't say I'm surprised that it's taken so long to update the transfers (again).

Does the (N) announce it when it arrives at Whitehall? Does the (R) when it runs R160s?

I have a hard time believing that Jessica did the (4), (5) and (6) announcements. She sounds like a different person on each line. The (4) and (5) announcements sound louder than those on the (6) or it could just be her yelling/placing emphasis on the word "express". And the Bronx bound announcements sound louder than the Brooklyn bound ones for some reason.

Guest MTA Bus

When I was on the (5) train yesterday, the interior sign said:

(5) To Flatbush Av

Looks like the R142s are following the way of the R160s

There isn't a program for the (2) to South Ferry. At all. (2) to Chambers St is the program most crews fall back on when the trains are diverted to South Ferry and they do manual announcements after Chambers St.

There is a Wall St bound program and a Bowling Green bound program though.

Wall St:

Bowling Green (skip to 10:42):

There are also programs for (2) to Atlantic Ave and (2) as 7 Ave express.

Guest Lance

Yeah, I know that. For whatever reason, however, there isn't one for the (2) to South Ferry. Though there are programs for the (1) (obviously), (3) and (5) lines to South Ferry from their normal north terminals. Go figure.

Yeah, I know that. For whatever reason, however, there isn't one for the (2) to South Ferry. Though there are programs for the (1) (obviously), (3) and (5) lines to South Ferry from their normal north terminals. Go figure.

And that explains why some R142 (1) trains are seen at South Ferry. Good find Lance.

Guest MTA Bus

I know the (3) has a program to South Ferry, which is kind of ironic because the (3), which nevers goes to South Ferry, has a program for it. Meanwhile, the (2), which goes to South Ferry every once in a while, dosen't have one. Very Ironic, don't you think ?

On the (5) train I rode home this evening has a new announcement for Flatbush Ave...

When leaving Newkirk, It now announces it as, The next stop is "Flatbush Ave - Brooklyn College" rather than the other way around, its noticeably different than the old announcement.

Also I wanted to ride a (E) to 179th this evening... I did but it went via the local track because some layups was already on the express track. <_<

I guess only the very first (E) to 179th uses the express track.

Guest Lance

On the (5) train I rode home this evening has a new announcement for Flatbush Ave...

Yeah, some sets have the new "Flatbush Av-Brooklyn College" station announcement done by Catherine in lieu of the original (2) and (5) announcements by Dianne and Jessica respectively. I guess the (MTA) is trying to be consistent with the names since the maps and the in-station announcements on the train arrival boards announce the station as Flatbush Av-Brooklyn College. However, it's not like anyone's going to get confused if it's announced slightly different.

Guest Lance

...how are the G trains supposed to terminate at Hoyt?

When the (G) is truncated to Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts, the line usually runs in two sections. The first from Court Sq to Bedford-Nostrand Avs and the second as a single-track shuttle from Bedford-Nostrand Avs to Hoyt St.

As I was walking along McDonald Av, overhead I saw a train op with his head out the window as he was operating between Ditmas and 18 Av - just glazing at the streets below. The whole scene was pretty sick.

I know it's not such a big deal but while every other railfan has a thing for catching car numbers, I have a thing for catching the characteristics of a train op as he operates. My fav are the old motormen who lean towards the controlls as he operates, especially on a 32. Yea, call me weird if you want...