SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tight rush hour intervals between trains and the layout of the tracks in and around Jamaica Center are why some trains come out of 179 Street.

Replying to an old comment but who cares?

Yeah, I know that. What I want to know is how they are scheduled.

It would appear that the signals at Prince Street have been fixed. Last year, from the uptown platform, I observed an (R) train pulling into Prince Street with a (Q) stalling barely into the station on the express track. It stayed there even after the (R) pulled out. And then an (N) pulled in, made a full stop before the (Q) finally started moving. I haven't seen anything ridiculous like that recently. In fact, the (N) trains have been pulling into Prince Street slowly whether the (Q) was present or not (which makes sense, because the presence of the (Q) on the express track should have no bearing on what goes on on the local track).

I can understand before 34th becuase maybe a (Q) it waiting to cross to the local.But between canal and 14th absolutely not.

It was a peculiar issue with trains going southbound on Broadway. I think it may still be sometimes. (Q) trains are slowing down an awful lot for the possibility that an (N) train may be on the local track. Ditto for the (N). The switch is not that close to the station itself compared to 36 Street where the switch blades are like right under the train when it's platformed.

The (M) is always less crowded. The only time it gets truly crowded is during rush hours (between Metropolitan and Marcy in the morning when those Middle Village, Ridgewood, Bushwick, and Williamsburg residents are on their way to Midtown Manhattan, and reverse in the evening).

The (M) is always less crowded. The only time it gets truly crowded is during rush hours (between Metropolitan and Marcy in the morning when those Middle Village, Ridgewood, Bushwick, and Williamsburg residents are on their way to Midtown Manhattan, and reverse in the evening).

It can get crowded on middays (fridays) and weekends, especially the trains to Manhattan around 1-6 PM.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Um, why is there a program for a (Q) via the (A) to Far Rockaway on the R160?

It's probably for the 6 Avenue (orange) (Q) since Broadway has no access to the Fulton Street line. And it's probably for the same reason the (D) has this program too whatever that could be.