SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh. Huh weird, I guess when they built the car they added a extra stop by accident.

Btw, was there a existing tunnel to 34 Street on the (7) before it started getting built?

No because the abandoned Downtown platform blocked provision for the tunnel and had to be demolished to make room for the extension.

Oh. Huh weird, I guess when they built the car they added a extra stop by accident.

No, it isn't accidental - most definitely done on purpose. More than likely it's done for design purposes - to give enough room to indicate to passengers that Bowling Green is a terminal station (denoted by a thick curved black line) and that trains can go beyond it into Brooklyn (indicated by a continuing portion of the horizontal green line along with a vertical white line). They could have done it without skipping a light bulb, but then they would have even less room to to fit all that in there. Plus, there's plenty of bulbs, so the MTA can be creative and skip some lights if it ends up making the strip map more pleasing to the eye.

So they drove the Tunnel boring machine ON the (7) line to make the tunnel!?

Yep. After demolishing the downtown platform on the 8 av line.

That's actually not true. They can't drive the thing down there, as it's too big for the tunnels (about 20 feet in diameter, assuming the sandhogs are 6 ft tall). Because of its size, all the parts were manufactured and then delivered to the boring site where the machine was assembled and brought to life. Edited by Gong Gahou

I think the (C) and (J) should have their announcements updated to indicate that they connect to the B15

I remember when I first thought that. But then I realized the (C) and (J) don't have announcements because most using the B15 to JFK use it mostly on New Lots Avenue for connection to the (3) and (L)

Plus I think people would rather take the (A) or (J) to the airport rather than an hour bus ride through Brooklyn.

Edited by BronxBombers