SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Random thought, the other day I was riding an R188 <7> train and I was using a speedometer on my phone to check it's speed. The fastest point was between  Woodside-61 St and Junction Blvd, where it hit 46.9 mph. There were many other times where it hit 40...I should do that one day with the (N) in the 60th St Tubes.

Random thought, the other day I was riding an R188 <7> train and I was using a speedometer on my phone to check it's speed. The fastest point was between  Woodside-61 St and Junction Blvd, where it hit 46.9 mph. There were many other times where it hit 40...I should do that one day with the (N) in the 60th St Tubes.

Won't work so well without wifi in those tubes though...

Won't work so well without wifi in those tubes though...

Speedometers on phones predominantly rely on GPS. Absent of a GPS signal, phones can also use the accelerometer with dead reckoning algorithms to calculate the approximate velocity and position relative to the last known point. WiFi and cellular signals do not triangulate positions very well on smartphones, and cannot be use to measure speed or acceleration.

If you’ve attempted to reproduce the curves that trains follow on the computer, you’ll notice that the shapes of the curves cannot be reproduced by the likes of Adobe Illustrator without a lot of manual labor fitting the Bézier curves to the Cornu spirals that make up parts of the curves. Cornu spirals are commonly employed to lay out rail in order to permit righter turns, faster operating speeds, comfortable rides, and safety since they allow a train to turn without jerking side to side. From physics 101, an object that follows a circular curve experiences an outward force that’s proportional to the square of its velocity, but an object that follows a straight path experiences none, so to connect a circular arc directly to straight track would subject a moving train to a near instantaneous increase in lateral forces at the point where the two segments are joined. A small segment of a Cornu spiral allows a moving train to slowly transition to a circular arc or another tangent gracefully without abrupt lateral forces.

With the aid of Maple and Mathematica, I just created a set of formulas for calculating sets of points along two spiral curves connecting two tangents. The formulas are fully tunable, accepting parameters for degree of change, length of path, and number of points calculated for the entire curve. Hopefully, these points can be easily exported to SVG format for use in Adobe Illustrator. Tomorrow, I’ll be playing around with the file manipulation capabilities of Maple.

What's this i heard the nypd arrested the churro people on the (L) at union square? what they need to target is those "showtime" dancers on the subway

No, why!? They weren't doing anything wrong! They are just trying to earn money for their families!

What, is trying to help your family a crime now?

No, why!? They weren't doing anything wrong! They are just trying to earn money for their families!

You guys don't understand how the downvote button works. This post, even if you disagree with it, is not spam or a vulgar offense, and thus it does not need to be downvoted.

June 14

The extending of the (J) to Broad Street should be moved up to June 6 and if necessary done as a G.O. for June 6 to encourage those staying in hotels in lower Manhattan to use the (J) to Jamaica Center and the Q110 to Belmont Park for The Belmont Stakes.

If the Triple Crown is on the line like it was last year, I would take it further by even perhaps between 9:30 AM-1:00 PM to Jamaica Center and from 7:30-11:00 PM to Manhattan running special rush-hour-type service (express and skip-stop, including special (Z) trains) to help ease crowds on the Long Island Rail Road by encourage those looking for lower Manhattan to use the Q110 to the (J) if possible.  This would be more about accommodating potentially 100,000+ (mainly coming from outside New York) to see The Belmont Stakes if the Triple Crown is on the line.

I was just wondering...

So when the new Hudson Yards station is opened, and the MTA does its normal G.O. where there are no (7) trains in Manhattan, passengers would transfer to the (N)(Q) for Manhattan service, and the (S) runs overnights for 42nd Street service. But what happens to the 34th Street station? Would they run shuttle buses from Times Sq to Hudson Yards, or they might be able to run a shuttle train from Grand Central to Hudson Yards if the construction is only happening in the Steinway tubes. Just wanted to know what you guys think...

Sorry if this has already been brought up.

Edited by LegoBrickBreaker101

I was just wondering...

So when the new Hudson Yards station is opened, and the MTA does its normal G.O. where there are no (7) trains in Manhattan, passengers would transfer to the (N)(Q) for Manhattan service, and the (S) runs overnights for 42nd Street service. But what happens to the 34th Street station? Would they run shuttle buses from Times Sq to Hudson Yards, or they might be able to run a shuttle train from Grand Central to Hudson Yards if the construction is only happening in the Steinway tubes. Just wanted to know what you guys think...

Sorry if this has already been brought up.

The switches are very far east of Grand Central, and are pretty close to the tunnels themselves. At most, you'll get reduced service to 5 Avenue since the switches are just outside of Times Square–42 Street, and the distance from there to 5 Avenue will reduce throughput.

You guys don't understand how the downvote button works. This post, even if you disagree with it, is not spam or a vulgar offense, and thus it does not need to be downvoted.

On a side note, his post read like a politician’s rant. You know how politicians like to appeal to the public by rattling off statements that evoke sympathy. They end up ignoring the details such as the fact that these licenses (which they were arrested for lacking while selling) are also tied to food sanitation—for the safety of the public. And if they were allowed to sell without paying for a license, would that be fair to those who paid for a license to sell? But on the other hand, there could be something more sinister behind the targetting of churros sellers. Those agents might also be working at the behest of law enforcement looking for illegal immigrants.

Edited by CenSin

What's this i heard the nypd arrested the churro people on the (L) at union square? what they need to target is those "showtime" dancers on the subway

Damn... I remember buyin from them I use to hang at mah grandmas in Bushwick. Feel bad for them.

Its been here for a while, the cops LOVE to crack down on sellers, examples: Ice Cream, Churros, Hot Dog Stands, Accessories (people sell cheap chargers), etc. Again, they tried that with my grandma years ago when she selled Icees in Bklyn. Except, unlike Queens, in Kings County they don't give a damn much of selling food on the street. Edited by Priincenene