SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Hey all! I hope everyone is doing well and is enjoying the beautiful weather out there today. :)

I am currently doing a paper on CBTC in the NYC Subway system, and I was wondering if any of you know of good starting points for research that I could use - be it journals, articles, reports, etc - that would be of help to me. Anything goes, and again, all I really need are a good few starting points - thank you all so much in advance! 

Here's a report from the Regional Planning Association, hope you find it useful: http://www.rpa.org/article/outmoded-technology-hobbles-nyc-subway

Edited by Mysterious2train

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It look like the (7) has a new ad wrap train.

IMG_0002_zpso4k1xhua.jpg

That show's not allowed to film in my neighborhood anymore because of me  :wacko:

They towed my car from a street they didn't have a permit to close for parking. In fairness I was only trying to find out what streets they DID have a permit for, but, apparently it turned into a whole thing. Totally off topic... 

I bought a 7-Day Unlimited local bus and subway MetroCard on 5/12/2015. Everything was great, but on 5/15/2015 I got a message that my card is invalid when I tried getting a ticket for the Bx12 SBS. I walked to a subway station, went to the vending machines to "Get Card Info". It said that my card expired 01/01/90. WTF! I'm supposed to have 4 days left on it. Turned out to be damaged. How do cards get damaged? It was either in my pocket or in my wallet since I got it. After talking to an employee at a station I got an envelope with a form and told me to send it to customer service or whatever and they are supposed to ship me a new card. Any of you ever done that? If so, did everything work out? How long did it take?

Note: I don't have a receipt if that matters.

Did there used to be a double crossover between the jamaica bound express and local tracks prior to Forest Hills? There is space there.

There's also a space just north of 7 Avenue that could accomodate switches for Brighton trains. Based on IND's patterns, I'd say a switch was likely not there. The IND installs switches after the platform and not before it for obvious reasons.

The MTA replaced every single Azkidenz-Grotesk sign at 145th Street, both the (A)(C) and (B)(D) platforms. Each pillar sign and hanging sign was still in the 80s font, as were the directional 145/147 exit signs. They replaced the first two and got rid of the last one. Total shame, and completely unnecessary given they were not in bad shape.

Hey did anyone here the new 2 train announcements in Brooklyn? It now says "2 train to Brooklyn college next stop church ave" and it's a new lady speaking too lol

It's only one single R142 trainset (regularly maintained and inspected at either 239 Street shop or East 180 Street shop) and it runs on the (2) or (5) at any given time. I did see that train today at Park Place southbound as I waited for the (3) train to go home.

Kudos to the (Q) train operator who made it from Coney Island to Atlantic Avenue 7 minutes early. He plowed right through the switch at Kings Highway, and set a record for the fastest run from Atlantic Avenue to DeKalb Avenue. I think he made short work of the flagged zone around Avenue M as well. Trains don't need to slow down that much when there's nobody near the tracks.

A competent train operator can show what the real limits are. If CBTC ever gets to the Brighton Line, I expect a time savings of about 3 minutes for the local.

Kudos to the (Q) train operator who made it from Coney Island to Atlantic Avenue 7 minutes early. He plowed right through the switch at Kings Highway, and set a record for the fastest run from Atlantic Avenue to DeKalb Avenue. I think he made short work of the flagged zone around Avenue M as well. Trains don't need to slow down that much when there's nobody near the tracks.

A competent train operator can show what the real limits are. If CBTC ever gets to the Brighton Line, I expect a time savings of about 3 minutes for the local.

That's Great! I hope there are more TOs who are like this!

Don't sing those praises too loudly lol. Speeding through a flagged zone is a pretty serious no-no. 

I've been counting on trains arriving exactly on time the past couple weekends (non-GO lines, luckily), so early trains are a problem for me!

LOL they should do this for lex, but we all know that story.....

I don't like yesterday's RFWing on the (C) heading downtown because the T/O had to crawl around the area at 96th, but there wasn't a track worker in sight. I think it could be because of the lightning against the walls in the tunnels around the area. I don't know. The rest of the express was also a little pointless. The T/O kept applying the brakes like 3-4 car lengths before arriving at both 42nd and 14th respectively. He only did 37-38 mph before applying the brakes like 4 car lengths as he entered 42nd, when it should have actually been 45-48 mph (as evidenced in the former official speed thread and by former member TwoTimer, another transit employee).

As for the timers on the CPW Express southbound, they don't even begin until nearly close to 81st. Why is that the T/Os often apply the brakes a bit early?