SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I thought October 23, 1992 was the day the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-C.svg.png was cut from Rockaway Park. I was asking what year and day the (H) sign was discontinued on public subway signs because wiki and other sources say it was 1993 or 1994. I thought the Rush Hour Rockaway Park (A) and full time (A) service into Far Rockaway went into effect in early 1993. Why did the MTA decide that (H) would be turned into 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.png?

Because it got demoted to a shuttle. Ergo it gets the shuttle (S) bullet

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-B.svg.png20px-NYCS-bull-trans-D.svg.png20px-NYCS-bull-trans-N.svg.png20px-NYCS-bull-trans-Q.svg.png trains cross the Manhattan Bridge so slowly? Is it due to weakness of the bridge? I did my research on Wikipedia and I read that passing trains caused the structure on the bridge to tilt and sway. The wobble worsened as train cars became longer and heavier. Over years, when one train moved over the bridge one side would be 3 feet lower than the other side, severely damaging the structure.  

Why do the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-B.svg.png20px-NYCS-bull-trans-D.svg.png20px-NYCS-bull-trans-N.svg.png20px-NYCS-bull-trans-Q.svg.png trains cross the Manhattan Bridge so slowly? Is it due to weakness of the bridge? I did my research on Wikipedia and I read that passing trains caused the structure on the bridge to tilt and sway. The wobble worsened as train cars became longer and heavier. Over years, when one train moved over the bridge one side would be 3 feet lower than the other side, severely damaging the structure.  

1 word: Timers!

I thought October 23, 1992 was the day the 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-C.svg.png was cut from Rockaway Park. I was asking what year and day the  (H) sign was discontinued on public subway signs because wiki and other sources say it was 1993 or 1994. I thought the Rush Hour Rockaway Park  (A) and full time  (A) service into Far Rockaway went into effect in early 1993. Why did the MTA decide that  (H) would be turned into 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.png?  

It all happened on the same weekend. The last day of (C) service to Rockaway Park was on 23 October. The (H), re-designated as the (S) Rockaway Park from Broad Channel to Rockaway Park, started running that weekend. The (A) started running to Far Rockaway full-time at the same time. The following Monday, rush hour (A) train service to Rockaway Park to replace the (C), began operating.

As stated above, you've got timers along the route. You've also got the DeKalb Av junction slowing things down.

It all happened on the same weekend. The last day of (C) service to Rockaway Park was on 23 October. The (H), re-designated as the (S) Rockaway Park from Broad Channel to Rockaway Park, started running that weekend. The (A) started running to Far Rockaway full-time at the same time. The following Monday, rush hour (A) train service to Rockaway Park to replace the (C), began operating.

As stated above, you've got timers along the route. You've also got the DeKalb Av junction slowing things down.

Thanks Lance. I appreciated 

So Saturday October 24, 1992 was when  (H) turned into 20px-NYCS-bull-trans-S.svg.png on public signs and was cut back from Euclid Av and Round robbin discontinued? And Monday October 26, 1992 was start of the full  (A) service to Far Rockaway and Rush Hour Rockaway Park  (A) service?

Thanks Lance. I appreciated 

The swaying actually caused severe structural damage. From 1988 to 2004, one side of the tracks was always closed for repairs. I remember growing up with only one side of tracks in operation all the time. Back in the early 2000s, the (Q)<Q> and (W) ran across the bridge while the (B)(D) terminated at 34 St

So I took the PATH train today (along with the rerouted (Q)). Nice and quick and the Oculus at World Trade Center is a thing of beauty!

I was just wondering what font the PATH uses in their advertisements (very pleasing on the eyes) and why both Journal Square via Hoboken and Hoboken only trains were running on a weekend.

​My L coming home from work tonight went BIE between Montrose and Morgan Canarsie bound. I was in the last car, 8212.

after about 20 minutes, the train crawled into Morgan, where after a few more minutes, the train was taken out of service.

waited about another 10 minutes for another train to take us, one went by without stopping.

The swaying actually caused severe structural damage. From 1988 to 2004, one side of the tracks was always closed for repairs. I remember growing up with only one side of tracks in operation all the time. Back in the early 2000s, the (Q)<Q> and (W) ran across the bridge while the (B)(D) terminated at 34 St

The south side was reopened for a short period of time in 1990 but closed again due to a cracked beam

Also in 1995 from April to November, the North Side was closed during the Middays and Weekends leaving both sides closed. 

Edited by Daniel The Cool

The closure was also due to deferred maintenance and years of unbalanced weight distribution causing a slight lean.

Why didn't the 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png run local along 6 Av with the (F) when it was in service? Before 2001, was ridership along local stops on 6 Av was balanced?

The northbound 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png would've had to merge with the (F) instead of directly connecting to the 63rd Street Tunnel, and the southbound 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png would've had to merge with the (F) at Rockerfeller Center and then the (B)(D) at Broadway/Lafayette instead of directly merging with the (B)(D).

Here's the track map of the Rockerfeller Center area.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

The northbound 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png would've had to merge with the (F) instead of directly connecting to the 63rd Street Tunnel, and the southbound 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png would've had to merge with the (F) at Rockerfeller Center and then the (B)(D) at Broadway/Lafayette instead of directly merging with the (B)(D).

Here's the track map of the Rockerfeller Center area.

What was complicated about that? The 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png could of switched to/from local tracks at West 4 St.  (F) get to 63 St line where the 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png could of got to if it went local. Going to Brooklyn (Southbound) after 47-50 Sts, the  (F) (M) passes beneath the (B)(D) to crossover. 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png did diverge with the (B)(D) at 47-50 (Southbound) but it was on the far right outer track.  

What was complicated about that? The 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png could of switched to/from local tracks at West 4 St. (F) get to 63 St line where the 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png could of got to if it went local. Going to Brooklyn (Southbound) after 47-50 Sts, the (F)(M) passes beneath the (B)(D) to crossover. 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png did diverge with the (B)(D) at 47-50 (Southbound) but it was on the far right outer track.

No need to switch a train in front of another, only for it to switch back 2 stops later

What was complicated about that? The 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png could of switched to/from local tracks at West 4 St.  (F) get to 63 St line where the 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png could of got to if it went local. Going to Brooklyn (Southbound) after 47-50 Sts, the  (F)  (M) passes beneath the (B)(D) to crossover. 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png did diverge with the (B)(D) at 47-50 (Southbound) but it was on the far right outer track.  

The (F) was running on 53rd Street at the time. So the (F) had no interaction with the other 6th Avenue lines in terms of switching. There was no point in introducing an extra switching move just to get a handful of passengers directly to a local stop, when the (F) ran frequently anyway.

Aside from that, if a 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png had to wait for an (F) to pass in front, it would likely delay an express behind it. And vice versa Brooklyn-bound, with it delaying an (F) while waiting for an express to pass.

Aside from that, there's not much of a point in making it the Brighton Express and 6th Avenue Local, while the (D) is the 6th Avenue Express and Brighton Local.

No need to switch a train in front of another, only for it to switch back 2 stops later

I know what you mean but what i was saying was that the MTA could of allowed the 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png to run local with the (F) to prevent traffic jam on express tracks where it shared with (B)(D). I was wondering if (F) was doing okay when it ran solo on local stops.

I know what you mean but what i was saying was that the MTA could of allowed the 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png to run local with the (F) to prevent traffic jam on express tracks where it shared with (B)(D). I was wondering if (F) was doing okay when it ran solo on local stops.

You'd be causing a worse traffic jam by switching it over to the (F) line. That's the point. The switching moves are what cause most of the traffic.

Think about it, when you approach 59th Street/Columbus Circle heading northbound, and you have the (B)(D) merging with the (A)(C), the train traffic is at that particular point. Once they merge, you generally have a straight run all the way up. The same thing with those lines: Once they merge at DeKalb, there's nothing to worry about until they reach Rockerfeller Center (which isn't as bad because it's a divergence point, and the (B)(D) run up the same line anyway)

By moving the 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png over, you'd introduce a merge with the (F), which could result in (B)(D) trains backing up behind it.

My turn:

25px-E_Train_%281967-1979%29.svg.png

I see just add the img and /img between the [] to their respective ends and modify the px number and you are good.

It looks like anywhere between 20 and 25px is good.

Edited by ShadeJay