SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I know what you mean but what i was saying was that the MTA could of allowed the 20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png to run local with the (F) to prevent traffic jam on express tracks where it shared with (B)(D). I was wondering if (F) was doing okay when it ran solo on local stops.

Rule of thumb: The MTA wants to prevent trains from switching in front of each other to the furthest extent possible. Look at the areas in the system where trains need to switch in front of each other. The junction at DeKalb and the (2)(3)(4)(5) junction at Franklin are choke points which limit capacity on every line involved. It would cause more of a jam for (Q) and (F) trains to wait for each other compared to just having three lines run express. In addition, we are given these wonderful tools from nature known as our legs. 14th is a short walk from W4 and 23 is a short walk from 34, so there isn't much of a point in the first place :P

Edited by YankeesPwnMets

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rule of thumb: The MTA wants to prevent trains from switching in front of each other to the furthest extent possible. Look at the areas in the system where trains need to switch in front of each other. The junction at DeKalb and the (2)(3)(4)(5) junction at Franklin are choke points which limit capacity on every line involved. It would cause more of a jam for (Q) and (F) trains to wait for each other compared to just having three lines run express. In addition, we are given these wonderful tools from nature known as our legs. 14th is a short walk from W4 and 23 is a short walk from 34, so there isn't much of a point in the first place :P

Also, there is additional capacity on the express tracks. I wish that there was a way for it to go to use. Perhaps a line from SAS down the express tracks. However, there wouldn't be a place to terminate it on the south end.

Question, pre 2001, what exactly were the routes that served all Coney Island Bound Lines in Brooklyn?

I know that the (B) used to be the full time West End line.

The (D) used to be the full time Brighton Line.

The (W)? Used to be the Sea Beach Line.

I don't know what served Culver. (Other then the Culver Shuttle)

Was 4th Avenue served by the (N) or the (Q)?

And when was the (Q) introduced? Was it introduced after the opening of the 63 connecter?

You know, a simple Wikipedia or Google search would quite easily yield faster results for these types of queries than asking the question here. If you did such a search, you'd know the (W) did not exist as a route before July 2001. Also, the (Q) was around well before the 63rd Street-Queens Blvd connection. It just got rerouted to 6th Avenue because of Manhattan Bridge work.

Question, pre 2001, what exactly were the routes that served all Coney Island Bound Lines in Brooklyn?

I know that the (B) used to be the full time West End line.

The (D) used to be the full time Brighton Line.

The (W)? Used to be the Sea Beach Line.

I don't know what served Culver. (Other then the Culver Shuttle)

Was 4th Avenue served by the (N) or the (Q)?

And when was the (Q) introduced? Was it introduced after the opening of the 63 connecter?

Using a map from October 1992, and adjusting for (B)(C) north terminal swap:

(B)

Grand Concourse Local, 6th Avenue Express, 4th Avenue Express, West End Local

Rush hours, Bedford Park Blvd - Coney Island

Middays, 145 St - Coney Island

Evenings and Weekends, 21 St Queensbridge - Coney Island

Late nights, 36 St (Brooklyn) - Coney Island shuttle

(D)

Grand Concourse Local/Express, 6th Avenue Express, Brighton Local

All times, 205 St Norwood - Coney Island

Rush hours, express in the Bronx

(F)

Queens Boulevard Express, 6th Avenue Local, Culver Local

All times except late nights, 179 St - Coney Island

Late nights, 21 St Queensbridge - Coney Island

(brownM)

Myrtle Avenue Local, Nassau Local, 4th Avenue Express, West End Express

Rush hours, Metropolitan Av - Bay Parkway

Middays, Metropolitan Av - 9 Av

All other times, Metropolitan Av - Myrtle Av shuttle

(N)

Astoria Local, Broadway Local via Montague, 4th Avenue Local, Sea Beach Local

All times, Ditmars Blvd - Coney Island

Orange (Q)

6th Avenue Local, Brighton Express

Rush hours and Middays, 21 St Queensbridge - Brighton Beach

All other times, no service

Side note, and orange (Q) icon should be added. It gets used fairly often.

Edited by onthe1train

1) Why is the〈Q〉bullet missing from the emoticon bank, yet the <4> and <5> are available?

2) Why is the(Q)bullet missing from the emoticon bank, yet the :75px-NYCS-bull-trans-S6_svg: and (brownM) are available?

Both of these Q trains were present during the twenty-first century, and I thus believe that it would only be fair to provide them along with the other defunct variants.

Question, are there any R142's that still have their old (2) / (5) strip map?

Most of the (5) fleet.

As of now, all of the (2) train cars have the updated map. There are still a few (5) train cars with its regular maps (some of the cars from the (5) have the updated map)

Most of the (5) fleet.

There's actually something I've noticed about the (5) fleet with the new maps. On the late night shuttles, all stops from Dyre Av to Morris Park would light up, but East 180th wouldn't, instead Bronx Park East would light up. I haven't been on the shuttle in quite a while so I don't exactly know if that's still the case. 

Anyway, I'm surprised the MTA included the late night (N) service on those maps as well. 

1) Why is the〈Q〉bullet missing from the emoticon bank, yet the <4> and <5> are available?

2) Why is the(Q)bullet missing from the emoticon bank, yet the :75px-NYCS-bull-trans-S6_svg: and (brownM) are available?

Both of these Q trains were present during the twenty-first century, and I thus believe that it would only be fair to provide them along with the other defunct variants.

I remember seeing an orange (Q) somewhere.

I remember seeing an orange (Q) somewhere.

Perhaps it was once offered and later rescinded, since I somehow doubt that this site even existed while the (Q) was in service (or the <Q> for that matter).

...and how about a PATH logo?

Edited by ParkeNYU

20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png

6th Avenue Local, Brighton Express

Rush hours and Middays, 21 St Queensbridge - Brighton Beach

All other times, no service

Incorrect. The  20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png was the Brighton Express and 6th Avenue Express (I used to live on it, but also, a few posts up, we were discussing why that was so)

Before 1989, the  20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png terminated at 57th & 6th (with the (B) replacing it evenings and weekends)

Since I've opened Pandora's box of bullets, I also just realised that in addition to the need for:

75px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Qd.svg.png

...there is also:

75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Bd.svg.png75px-B_Train_-_Yellow_%281986-1988%29.sv75px-B_Train_-_Yellow_diamond_%281986-1975px-D_Train_%281986-1988%29.svg.png

...assuming that we are using the May 1985 single-character-bullet reforms as our line in the sand for this community.

(and I want to re-emphasise:)

200px-PATH.svg.png

Perhaps it was once offered and later rescinded, since I somehow doubt that this site even existed while the (Q) was in service (or the <Q> for that matter).

...and how about a PATH logo?

There was quite the selection of subway bullets to use over the years (I've been on this site for 8 years now), and over time they were removed.

Just gotta live with it.

Incorrect. The  20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png was the Brighton Express and 6th Avenue Express (I used to live on it, but also, a few posts up, we were discussing why that was so)

Before 1989, the  20px-Q_Train_%281988-2001%29.svg.png terminated at 57th & 6th (with the (B) replacing it evenings and weekends)

You're correct. My mistake!