SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The retro bullets have been uploaded for the time being. They are located at the very end (or bottom) of the emoticon list. There are different variations to the formatting used to insert these bullets. That is as follows:

For the numbered and single lettered routes that exist today (E, J, whatever): Wrap colons around the route. For example:

; 

becomes :1: ; :J:

For the most recent iteration of double lettered and diamond routes: Wrap parenthesis [diamonds] around the route. For example:

; 

becomes (CC) ; <C>

For earlier iterations of routes, wrap those in colons as well. For example, to get the green CC bullet:

becomes :CC:

The retro bullets will disappear and reappear over the next couple of minutes, as I totally forgot to save them in .PNG format.

All re-uploaded!!

Basically, every route from 1967 to '79 must be wrapped in colons. Routes from 1979 to the present must be wrapped in parenthesis or angled brackets to display correctly. I included what should be every route from the '67 color explosion to the present. Enjoy.

Also, thanks for adding them to the system Seven.

One final thing: please do not abuse the smiley privilege with posts filled with nothing but route bullets. Thank you.

Edited by Lance

(QB)  (EE)  :Q::8::RR:  (JJ)

(CC):CC:  <C>  <CC>

Just testing.

I predict generous use of these bullets in the near future.

:M: to 96 Street. (M) to Forest Hills–71 Avenue. (brownM) to Broad Street. <M> to Bay Parkway.

It’s conceivable that in some far off future, there will be more routes than letters and numbers, and the MTA will be forced to distinguish them by shape (circle versus diamond) and/or by a second letter. Similar routes might share a letter and become distinguished by shape: (A)(C) ⟶ <A> (A). The freed-up letters would go to newly minted routes like 168 Street–Washington Heights to Voorhies Avenue–Sheepshead Bay via 8 Avenue/Worth Street/Utica Avenue.

Edited by CenSin

The I, K, O, P, U, V, X, and Y are still free (not counting H). But could you imagine the outrage if they had to use numbers on the B Division? I could see either 10 and up, or 20 and up being used.

Edited by GojiMet86

The I, K, O, P, U, V, X, and Y are still free (not counting H).

Assuming an eventual two routes per line built (since double-tracked construction will be the norm, and any line built would be justified by high ridership, which in turn would mean 15 T.P.H.), 4 more lines could be built and they’d still have enough letters to go around. I assume I and O will never be used, but H is still up in the air.

But could you imagine the outrage if they had to use numbers on the B Division?

0 outrage predicted, except from hardcore subway fans.

I wonder if there were multiple complaints made to the (MTA) about weekend Lex service that they have restored weekend (5) service from 20 minute headways back to the as-originally assigned 12 minute headways...

Whenever there was insufficient (5) service the (4) would have these insane gaps in service since it would practically be running by itself on the weekends (we all know the tourists dont really take the (6) ...)

The I, K, O, P, U, V, X, and Y are still free (not counting H). But could you imagine the outrage if they had to use numbers on the B Division? I could see either 10 and up, or 20 and up being used.

They used numbers on the B div before..

http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?2603

Seeing numbers on the B Div again would be nostalgia. 

Thank you very much, Seven! This update has really brightened my week!

I can only think of adding the following bullets to cover all post-1979/1985-reform lines:

(B)(D)(S)(S)

〈A〉〈B〉〈M〉〈R〉

I also can't tell whether the (S) is supposed to be black, grey, or something purposely and cleverly in between.

I predict generous use of these bullets in the near future.

:M: to 96 Street. (M) to Forest Hills–71 Avenue. (brownM) to Broad Street. <M> to Bay Parkway.

It’s conceivable that in some far off future, there will be more routes than letters and numbers, and the MTA will be forced to distinguish them by shape (circle versus diamond) and/or by a second letter. Similar routes might share a letter and become distinguished by shape: (A)(C) ⟶ <A> (A). The freed-up letters would go to newly minted routes like 168 Street–Washington Heights to Voorhies Avenue–Sheepshead Bay via 8 Avenue/Worth Street/Utica Avenue.

They could always go back to double-letters for full local routes like the (C), (L) and (R).

I wonder if there were multiple complaints made to the (MTA) about weekend Lex service that they have restored weekend (5) service from 20 minute headways back to the as-originally assigned 12 minute headways...

Whenever there was insufficient (5) service the (4) would have these insane gaps in service since it would practically be running by itself on the weekends (we all know the tourists dont really take the (6) ...)

Who knows. The lack of any construction work on the Lexington Ave and White Plains Rd lines should allow trains to run normally.

Thank you very much, Seven! This update has really brightened my week!

I can only think of adding the following bullets to cover all post-1979/1985-reform lines:

(B)(D)(S)(S)

〈A〉〈B〉〈M〉〈R〉

I also can't tell whether the (S) is supposed to be black, grey, or something purposely and cleverly in between.

The normal shuttle is colored dark slate gray, while the Canarsie line is colored light slate gray. The bullet may be slightly darker here than it is in reality, but that's not really a pressing issue.

As for the remaining diamond bullets, they will be added in another update.

The normal shuttle is colored dark slate gray, while the Canarsie line is colored light slate gray. The bullet may be slightly darker here than it is in reality, but that's not really a pressing issue.

I suppose it's not worth distinguishing the dark and light grey bullets on this site?

I look forward to the new update!

The sizes are currently inconsistent, and should probably be worked on as well:

zn9euKS.png

Ideally, these bullets would be SVG (since support for it is nearly universal now with the death of Internet Explorer 6, 7, 8, and soon 9 and 10). The CSS style for the diamond bullets could be…

max-height: 1em;

…so that it matches the size of the text it is inlined with. Circular bullets should be smaller, so that their weight is visually similar to the diamonds. The (4)<4>(5)<5> are good as they are right now.

Formulas for sizes (width and height) based on scaling factor S:

Diamond: S√2

Circle: 2√(S÷π)

For example, a circle that has a height of 1.12837917 (S=1) would have a corresponding diamond with the height of 1.41421356. The area of the circle would be equal to the area of the diamond giving them both equal weight.

Or if you wanted to, you could start out with a diamond and create a slightly smaller circle based on this formula:

Circle: ∜8÷√π×S0.94885000×S

In CSS, the circle bullets would be:

max-height: 0.94885em;

The way the <7> looks compared to the (7) is downright anorexic currently.

EDIT: If not using SVG, pixel-aligned designs should have the circle be 1 pixel less on each side compared to the diamond. A 20-pixel high diamond would have a corresponding 18-pixel high circle. It doesn’t obey the formulas above, but makes for crisper graphics on displays with large pixels. (Font designers have to deal with this crap all the time.) On an Apple Retina display, the math starts working out a little better as we have higher pixel density to work with, and we can obey the formula again. A 39-pixel high diamond would have a corresponding 37-pixel high circle. An 80-pixel high diamond would have a corresponding 76-pixel high circle (for the day when 8K displays become commonplace). The overriding rule is, however, to always shrink by the same number of pixels on each side. size_of_diamondsize_of_circle should be divisible by 2.

Edited by CenSin

Bad C/R on the (C) I just had. Won't name car numbers or anything but not a good job. Made no announcements from Jay St through West 4th St. despite the leaving the FIND on the 8th Ave program. York St. was announced as High St., etc., and then when he shut the FIND off, it booted back up to 23rd St. on the IND while we pulled into 2nd Avenue. Still no announcements or clarification. People had no idea where the train was going or what stop they were at. I heard one person at West 4th say "what? We were just at 23rd St!" Not great information. 

Bad C/R on the (C) I just had. Won't name car numbers or anything but not a good job. Made no announcements from Jay St through West 4th St. despite the leaving the FIND on the 8th Ave program. York St. was announced as High St., etc., and then when he shut the FIND off, it booted back up to 23rd St. on the IND while we pulled into 2nd Avenue. Still no announcements or clarification. People had no idea where the train was going or what stop they were at. I heard one person at West 4th say "what? We were just at 23rd St!" Not great information. 

Not that this an excuse, but I don't believe there is a (C) - Euclid Av to 145 Street via Delancey St option in the 160s. Even then, (s)he could've used the 168 Street via Delancey option and reset the system at W 4 Street. They could've also used the usual "will not stop" setting for the normal Cranberry stations. Either way, there is no reason why this conductor neglected to make any kind of announcement regarding the service change.

Not that this an excuse, but I don't believe there is a (C) - Euclid Av to 145 Street via Delancey St option in the 160s. Even then, (s)he could've used the 168 Street via Delancey option and reset the system at W 4 Street. They could've also used the usual "will not stop" setting for the normal Cranberry stations. Either way, there is no reason why this conductor neglected to make any kind of announcement regarding the service change.

Yup. Conductors will put either the 145 St via Cranberry or the 168 St via Delancey option up.

When I rode the (C) Saturday to get to SummerStage in Central Park, the conductor had the 168 St program and was manually making announcements. I wonder if it is possible to manually announce 145 St "over" the automated announcements without disabling them?

Also I wonder how hard it is to code new automated announcements in the FIND system. You'd think they would have made a 145 Street via Delancey program before the G/O started. (I guess this could be a use for the new WiFi)