SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Yup. Conductors will put either the 145 St via Cranberry or the 168 St via Delancey option up.

When I rode the (C) Saturday to get to SummerStage in Central Park, the conductor had the 168 St program and was manually making announcements. I wonder if it is possible to manually announce 145 St "over" the automated announcements without disabling them?

Also I wonder how hard it is to code new automated announcements in the FIND system. You'd think they would have made a 145 Street via Delancey program before the G/O started. (I guess this could be a use for the new WiFi)

It's not possible as both the automated announcements and the conductor's announcements all come from the same PA system. Making a manual announcement automatically interrupts any pre-programmed automated announcements.

I don't think it's that hard to code new routes into the computers. It's likely just a matter of getting around to it. Of course, I know very little about computer coding, so I could be wrong. However, with over a decade of experience, these people should be familiar with the system. As to why such a necessary route option is not available, that's a matter of how creative these coders are and what options they deem are necessary. Also remember that, until fairly recently, the (C) didn't use 160s on a regular basis.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the new (2)(5) strip maps can detect if one is rerouted on the other line and shows a program for it (yet no (5) program to city hall) Also, the "this is" and "the next stop is" announcements are announced by their respective line that they should be operating on instead of switching announcers when a reroute occurs.

Can anyone confirm that there was an (N) train that went via 6th Avenue this morning? I only ask because there was this service change..

AY5WfyP.png

And all of the roll signs of the rear 4 cars of the R68/A (that I saw at West 4th) were all set to the (N) (bullets, destination). Also, a (B) and a (D) train came shortly afterwards. Didn't see the first cars or get a picture, unfortunately. 

Not sure if anyone noticed, but the new (2)(5) strip maps can detect if one is rerouted on the other line and shows a program for it (yet no (5) program to city hall) Also, the "this is" and "the next stop is" announcements are announced by their respective line that they should be operating on instead of switching announcers when a reroute occurs.

Pardon my ignorance, but why do these two lines share a strip map? Low on IRT-compatible cars?

Pardon my ignorance, but why do these two lines share a strip map? Low on IRT-compatible cars?

No, it's because they both share the Flatbush Avenue terminal, and it offers more operational flexibility if the dispatcher can send any train from that station out as either a (2) or a (5).

The 2 and 5 also share the same segment in the Bronx and to ease confusion, example A 5 train with 2 train maps, people thought it's a 2 with the stops that's shown. It also helps in case of detours as in the 2 via the 5 line etc. 

Edited by CH3348

Can anyone confirm that there was an (N) train that went via 6th Avenue this morning? I only ask because there was this service change..

And all of the roll signs of the rear 4 cars of the R68/A (that I saw at West 4th) were all set to the (N) (bullets, destination). Also, a (B) and a (D) train came shortly afterwards. Didn't see the first cars or get a picture, unfortunately. 

Yup. An R68A N went to 21st-Queensbridge.

Not that this an excuse, but I don't believe there is a (C) - Euclid Av to 145 Street via Delancey St option in the 160s. Even then, (s)he could've used the 168 Street via Delancey option and reset the system at W 4 Street. They could've also used the usual "will not stop" setting for the normal Cranberry stations. Either way, there is no reason why this conductor neglected to make any kind of announcement regarding the service change.

Yet unlike the R160's, the R142's have an equivalent of the "will not stop" setting included for terminal stations as well. Sure, on the numbered trains you'll run into a train that's displaying "6 TO WESTCHESTER SQ" announce itself as a "Pelham Bay Park bound" train but at least the displays will be correct. Edited by paulrivera

Yet unlike the R160's, the R142's have an equivalent of the "will not stop" setting included for terminal stations as well. Sure, on the numbered trains you'll run into a train that's displaying "6 TO WESTCHESTER SQ" announce itself as a "Pelham Bay Park bound" train but at least the displays will be correct.

That's right. The R160's should've received that feature, because I've seen it on the R143's R142's and R142A's. (I.E L to EAST 105 ST)

But still, the conductor should've chose the 168 St via Rutgers option and then manually knock off 168th, and 155th, or he could've just put the information system into lockdown (a mode that I like to call deletion temp) that shows only the route bullet and where it's headed. 

Yet unlike the R160's, the R142's have an equivalent of the "will not stop" setting included for terminal stations as well. Sure, on the numbered trains you'll run into a train that's displaying "6 TO WESTCHESTER SQ" announce itself as a "Pelham Bay Park bound" train but at least the displays will be correct.

So does it show Westchester Sq on the exterior signs or does it say Pelham Bay Park?

So does it show Westchester Sq on the exterior signs or does it say Pelham Bay Park?

It would show Westchester Sq on the exterior and interior signs but the announcements would say "Pelham Bay Park bound." When Parkchester was closed for rehab, the Parkchester (6) trains (which only ran rush hours at that time, the midday trips terminated at 3rd Avenue) would have "To St. Lawrence Av" on the signs but had "Parkchester bound" announcements after the Parkchester stop is knocked off.

Initially, they also did that with (4) trains terminating at Burnside too, by knocking off all the stops after Burnside up to and including Woodlawn. Now they have (4) to Burnside via express after 167 and via local programs so the workaround is no longer needed.

Ridership has been growing on the (1) and (4) these past few years. These two lines need to have express service reimplemented or at least tried!

Ridership on the (1) ever since the (9) was discontinued has grown 56%.

Ridership on the (4) has grown 71%.

The pilot express service done on the (4) was completely done wrong. That's one thing.

So I propose new service patterns on the (1) and (4) as follows:

(1) 242 St - Van Cortlandt Pk to South Ferry via Broadway local all times.

<1> or (9) 242 St - Van Cortlandt Pk to South Ferry via Broadway Express via Broadway Express in the peak direction only, rush hours. The stops are as follows:

242nd St-Van Cortlandt Pk (1)

231st St Bx9 SBS (1)

Marble Hill-225th St MNRR (1)

Dyckman St (1)

168th St-Washington Hts (1)(A)(C)

137th St-City Coll (1)

116th St-Columbia University (1) M60 SBS

96th St (1)(2)(3)

<4> Woodlawn - Utica Avenue (or Bowling Green) via Peak Direction Express rush hours only.

Woodlawn (4)

Moshulu Pkwy (4)

Bedford Park Blvd (4) (some Woodlawn bound <4>'s end here)

Burnside Ave

161st St-Yankee Stadium (4)(B)(D)

149th St - Grand Concourse (2)(5)

125th St (4)(5)(6) M60 SBS MNRR

1) Are there any updates regarding the reconstruction progress of the new South Ferry (1) station?

2) Does anyone know when the (7) portal north of 34th street will open? It seems rather overdue...

The reconstruction project is moving along steadily. Reopening of the island platform is still scheduled for sometime next year. As for the secondary entrance, which I assume you're talking about, it should open later this year.

@Javier: Congratulations, you just created the Jerome express pilot program. The only difference is that you added 161 Street to the list of stops for the (4) express. On that note, I assume your intention is to run both of these express routes on the local tracks. Otherwise, several of these stops would not be possible adding new switches along both upper Broadway and Jerome Ave.

The reconstruction project is moving along steadily. Reopening of the island platform is still scheduled for sometime next year. As for the secondary entrance, which I assume you're talking about, it should open later this year.

@Javier: Congratulations, you just created the Jerome express pilot program. The only difference is that you added 161 Street to the list of stops for the (4) express. On that note, I assume your intention is to run both of these express routes on the local tracks. Otherwise, several of these stops would not be possible adding new switches along both upper Broadway and Jerome Ave.

Exactly in the latter case.  You would need to convert 161 into an express station for this to work (something that should be looked at anyway by moving the station north to be closer to where the new stadium is, during which, you could convert it to an express station that I would with provisions for a new connection from the Lenox (3) line down the road).  You likely also would need to make Woodlawn a three-track, two-island platform station for it to work, something I don't see happening unless the (4) line were to be extended past Woodlawn in the future to perhaps Yonkers.  

That will likely never happen. There is little incentive for either Jerome Ave express service (the line isn't set up for express service like Pelham and White Plains Rd are) or an extension into Westchester County. And what's this about the station not being close enough to Yankee Stadium? The ballpark is literally downstairs from the platform. What else do you want, direct access to the luxury boxes?

I've been trying to search for that ultimate fantasy map someone posted a long time ago.  It was basically a line through every other square mile of the five boroughs, including something crazy from the West Side to Staten Island.  It's the only fantasy map I will take seriously.

That will likely never happen. There is little incentive for either Jerome Ave express service (the line isn't set up for express service like Pelham and White Plains Rd are) or an extension into Westchester County. And what's this about the station not being close enough to Yankee Stadium? The ballpark is literally downstairs from the platform. What else do you want, direct access to the luxury boxes?

I was simply pointing out what would have to be done to even think of the doing the proposal Javier suggested for the (4).

I've been trying to search for that ultimate fantasy map someone posted a long time ago.  It was basically a line through every other square mile of the five boroughs, including something crazy from the West Side to Staten Island.  It's the only fantasy map I will take seriously.

I vaguely recall that map.

I was simply pointing out what would have to be done to even think of the doing the proposal Javier suggested for the (4).

And I was simply explaining why none of what you suggested would likely happen.

(1) 242 St - Van Cortlandt Pk to South Ferry via Broadway local all times.

<1> or (9) 242 St - Van Cortlandt Pk to South Ferry via Broadway Express via Broadway Express in the peak direction only, rush hours. The stops are as follows:

242nd St-Van Cortlandt Pk (1)

231st St Bx9 SBS (1)

Marble Hill-225th St MNRR (1)

Dyckman St (1)

168th St-Washington Hts (1)(A)(C)

137th St-City Coll (1)

116th St-Columbia University (1) M60 SBS

96th St (1)(2)(3)

That makes no sense at all and you're going to throw off passengers. 

And on top of that they would have to share tracks between 157th Street and Dyckman so I hope you realized that would caused congestion and delays.