SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

The R32's are about 75% of the (J) and (Z) line and there's always a set or more R32's running 24/7. If they took 6-7 sets of R32's and placed them on the (M) this wouldn't be an issue. The R160's on the (C) are going back to ENY unless that changes (I rather it be 50/50) diversity on both the (C) and (J) lines

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The R32's are about 75% of the (J) and (Z) line and there's always a set or more R32's running 24/7. If they took 6-7 sets of R32's and placed them on the (M) this wouldn't be an issue. The R160's on the (C) are going back to ENY unless that changes (I rather it be 50/50) diversity on both the (C) and (J) lines

I don't see them spending money to pay crews overtime to move 32's to the (M) solely for keeping them off the (J) at night. As for 207th's R160's supposedly returning to ENY, I'm assuming this if after the R179's come in?

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm a little confused about something. Tuesday night, I was walking across the Manhattan Bridge. An OOS train was going across, Manhattan-bound, on the north track. This train had the LED green ring on the roll sign lit up, but I couldn't make anything else out in the low light. This couldn't possibly be an R62A, right? Did any B-Division cars get those lights? What the heck did I see?

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm a little confused about something. Tuesday night, I was walking across the Manhattan Bridge. An OOS train was going across, Manhattan-bound, on the north track. This train had the LED green ring on the roll sign lit up, but I couldn't make anything else out in the low light. This couldn't possibly be an R62A, right? Did any B-Division cars get those lights? What the heck did I see?

Most likely R62A from the (7) going to 207 St/Pelham yard for (6) service.

Probably answered before, but as there are still R143's on the J, why don't they give them back to the L and then some of the L's R160s to the J?

Doesn't make sense to have four fleets on one line surely?

Yes, not sure why, and yes on occasion they do.

The R143s dont need to be on the  (L) all time. They are similar to the CBTC R160s. Putting R143s on the  (J) provide more felxibity and its easier not to have restrictions on the fleet. If the  (L) uses up most of the CBTC R160s and the  (J)  (Z) need a train and R143s are available. They will put them on  (J)  (Z) .

They're checking to see what may have caused the train to go BIE. It could've been something as innocuous as a malfunctioning signal or switch. On the flip-side, it could be a person on the tracks. Either way, would you prefer them to either ignore a broken signal/switch track and potentially endanger the train they're operating or ones behind it or in the case of the latter, simply proceed and possibly run someone over?

They're checking to see what may have caused the train to go BIE. It could've been something as innocuous as a malfunctioning signal or switch. On the flip-side, it could be a person on the tracks. Either way, would you prefer them to either ignore a broken signal/switch track and potentially endanger the train they're operating or ones behind it or in the case of the latter, simply proceed and possibly run someone over?

I'll add debris on roadbed, broken rail and derailment to your list. As you correctly pointed out the T/O must find out the cause of the emergency brake application before he/she can proceed. There are locations in the IRT where it can take 15-20 minutes to complete that investigation because of clearance, roadbed conditions, or nearby train traffic. It can be time-consuming but "better safe than sorry". Carry on.

Yes th only BIE that I've been through was a "Debris on Roadbed".About 20 min like most of them.It would be nice if there was some quicker way to do it.But it's not that advanced yet.

I think the NTTs tell you on the TOD which car the brakes tripped (I could be wrong here), but you still have to manually find out what caused it.

Theoretically, they could come online as soon as they're plugged in and connected to the signal system. Of course, until the train tracking system is up and running for the B-Division, which isn't set to happen for a couple of years or so, they will chime the generic next train announcements/information currently heard along 8th Avenue and Queens Blvd.

Edited by Lance