SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

(F) train to Church Avenue at 4:10 PM seen at Broadway–Lafayette Street.

(C) train via Rutgers Street came next at 4:13 PM.

Passed by an (E) to World Trade Center at 2 Avenue on the former northbound express track.

Any idea what happened?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, July 6 2016, when I was waiting to get a  (2)  (3) train, the  (2) was 1 minute away, but then it did not appeared, then the (3) was 3-4 minutes away, then an announcement said, "There is a train approaching the uptown express track, please stand away from the platform edge". Then it was a  (5) train with sign saying Via 7 Ave Exp and since it had new announcements it said, this a Bronx bound 5 local train, the next stop is with the regular lexington avenue voice, then with 7 avenue line said, 110 Street. Also the  (2)  (3) were delayed due to an earlier incident at Fulton street and there were 2 other  (5) trains with 5 minutes away and the other 8 minutes away. But when I arrived 110 Street, there was third  (5) train 17 minutes away. This happened July 6 2016 at around 11:40 am in the IRT Broadway/7th Avenue  (1)  (2)  (3) line

Edited by Jose Angel

AS A MODERATOR REQUESTED, I HAVE RELOCATED THIS POST TO A MORE APPROPRIATE THREAD. NAVIGATING USING TAPATALK IS STILL NOT EASY FOR ME. Thanks for pointing me the right way.

A sick customer held up another (6) train ahead of us for over 15 minutes and they even refused to eject us at the above station, displacing those who intended to Xfer to the (L) or Gramercy Park above.

Sick customers seem to dominate the manifest of preventable delay symptoms, and largely the rider exhibits poor judgment until it compromises their health more severely, which also compromises commutes.

The position of our train made us incapable of being rerouted to the EXP track like the several (6) trains behind us were. I suggested jokingly we dock to the disabled train like a space station to provide egress to distressed customers, and when they heard that they were not able to disembark, some became livid.

Of course, I needed to Xfer to the (N) or (Q), so I left the Astor Place (6) station and walked behind Walgreen's to the entrance of nearby 8th Street - NYU (N)® station [DOWNTOWN & BKLYN]. I made it to Pacific Street by 3:15 PM.

Having an unlimited may be costly, but you can add ingenuity to your commute when you need it most.

Sent from my HTC M8 GPE

???? Mass Transit Honchkrow ????

Sent from my HTC M8 GPE

Lol oops I'm surprised it's still up after 6 years

No that sign is still up there.

Yeah but the (G) & (V) are nowhere near that station. If I remember, the (V) was deligitimized by the 2010 budget cuts to the MTA. "Retired" is too lax a term.

You might be right. The stickers put over these budget cuts are as bad as tending to gashes with a band-aid. Wounds still show, if that's what you mean by "still there."

Sent from my HTC M8 GPE

I remember hearing somewhere that Canal Street on the (J)(brownM)(Z) used to have an eastern entrance with a token booth (presumably on the other side of Centre Street), where the original northbound platform is.  I used to go through that station fairly often, so I reckon it must've closed sometime in the mid-1990s.  Anyone care to shed some light on this?

I remember hearing somewhere that Canal Street on the (J)(brownM)(Z) used to have an eastern entrance with a token booth (presumably on the other side of Centre Street), where the original northbound platform is. I used to go through that station fairly often, so I reckon it must've closed sometime in the mid-1990s. Anyone care to shed some light on this?

I noticed a sealed set of stairs while I was waiting on the BMT portion. It looks shut up, but that lock looks like it can be breached easily.

I was walking toward a poorly lit section of the station's BMT portion and something just felt awful, like deteriorating plaster mixed with septic waste.

If it was something you did in the 90s, it may be left there too. A similar scenario exists at Essex Street's BMT platform. I believe the (J) once looped infinitely as the Broadway-Nasssau Shuttle, according to a 1958 render of a subway map I've modified with switch bearings.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

I remember hearing somewhere that Canal Street on the (J)(brownM)(Z) used to have an eastern entrance with a token booth (presumably on the other side of Centre Street), where the original northbound platform is.  I used to go through that station fairly often, so I reckon it must've closed sometime in the mid-1990s.  Anyone care to shed some light on this?

That side closed around 2004 or so to passengers but it is still used as needed.  In later years, there was no entrance to it, the only way you could access it would have been from the entrance to the Nassau line (on Centre Street between Walker & Canal) was to go downstairs, midway on the steps you used to get to the trains coming off/going to the Manhattan Bridge) and crossed and went back upstairs (or if you were coming from any other line, using the steps the lead from the Manny B platforms at their easternmost end to reach the Nassau line).  Before they began work on reconstructing the station that way, there actually used to be a walkway you could use to get to the WillyB-bound Nassau line trains since the "express" tracks in the old setup were actually terminal tracks at Canal. 

No, I am well aware of the stub tracks and the eastern platform, having taken trains to and from there myself back in the day- this was back when select (J) and (brownM) trains would terminate at Canal Street in the middle, before they pulled up the inner track on the southbound side.  But when I was using the station, there was only that cramped entrance on the west side of Centre Street.  What I'm trying to find out more about is the closed entrance that was presumably on the east side of Centre Street- where it was, when it closed, and so on.  Actually, I did some digging yesterday and found this:
https://cdn.viewing.nyc/assets/4f6e4c45-d728-4c8c-802b-6d59a268d204/image-6-s-91084991c2c11bbc3f02b1faafe8a0be.jpg
https://cdn.viewing.nyc/assets/4f6e4c45-d728-4c8c-802b-6d59a268d204/image-7-s-32435f22a5267a8ce7a6f95f77224cc8.jpg
https://cdn.viewing.nyc/assets/4f6e4c45-d728-4c8c-802b-6d59a268d204/image-8-s-e796f4a81449498960e4a76bb4e459f5.jpg

So I guess there was a second entrance. Even back in the late '90s, I found it odd that there was only one entrance to the Nassau Street Line and only an underpass to the eastern platform. I always had suspicions that there must have been another street-level egress at one point. Anybody remember using Canal Street and going by a brick-patterned booth pre-1999?

Edited by R10 2952

No, I am well aware of the stub tracks and the eastern platform, having taken trains to and from there myself back in the day- this was back when select (J) and (brownM) trains would terminate at Canal Street in the middle, before they pulled up the inner track on the southbound side.  But when I was using the station, there was only that cramped entrance on the west side of Centre Street.  What I'm trying to find out more about is the closed entrance that was presumably on the east side of Centre Street- where it was, when it closed, and so on.  Actually, I did some digging yesterday and found this:

https://cdn.viewing.nyc/assets/4f6e4c45-d728-4c8c-802b-6d59a268d204/image-6-s-91084991c2c11bbc3f02b1faafe8a0be.jpg

https://cdn.viewing.nyc/assets/4f6e4c45-d728-4c8c-802b-6d59a268d204/image-7-s-32435f22a5267a8ce7a6f95f77224cc8.jpg

https://cdn.viewing.nyc/assets/4f6e4c45-d728-4c8c-802b-6d59a268d204/image-8-s-e796f4a81449498960e4a76bb4e459f5.jpg

So I guess there was a second entrance. Even back in the late '90s, I found it odd that there was only one entrance to the Nassau Street Line and only an underpass to the eastern platform. I always had suspicions that there must have been another street-level egress at one point. Anybody remember using Canal Street and going by a brick-patterned booth pre-1999?

That probably was gone by 1995 or so then.  I remember being in that station when at that point you still had the walkover at the south end of the station between what were then the south and northbound platforms and you only had the booth on the southbound side.

Wait! They actually fixed the cannabilized set? I thought it was done to be honest

You're thinking of 8277-80...the R143 set lol.

8377-80 (R160) along with 8313-16 was at Coney Island for the longest doing CBTC testing. That's the train one would see often at Church Av (F) on the express tracks