SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

You know, I've been hearing about a lot of trains in terrible condition, or way past their time (S.I's R44s, the R32/R42s). The bodies are all "rusted, worn out", the R44s "jerk on acceleration, have terrible suspension". My thing is, how are these trains' wheels & trucks? Running for 50+ years, I'm surprised they (god forbid), haven't had any derailments or anything of that matter from the mechanisms below the platform (obviously in the years past retirement time). Seeing an old train, the first thing I think about are the wheels, trucks, etc, and question if they are in good condition. I never see y'all talking about that with the trains.

I would point that out as well, but I think that after the 1990s and the TA's new SMS program that involves fixing up the cars, I guess that's enough for an explanation of how old cars are running today.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We all know that there are some emergencies causing the R142 (2) to become a (1) and (3). What we are trying to say is that they are not for regular service on the (1) and (3).

Last week there was a situation where (3) trains were redirected via the (1) to 137th St - City College due to an investigation at Central Park North - 110th St. (2) trains were discharging at 96th St - Bway.

But if I remember, all trains have the toolset to display any set combo of train info. Since the (A)(C) is rerouted via the (F) so much, they probably have that on speed dial.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Last week there was a situation where (3) trains were redirected via the (1) to 137th St - City College due to an investigation at Central Park North - 110th St. (2) trains were discharging at 96th St - Bway.

But if I remember, all trains have the toolset to display any set combo of train info. Since the (A)(C) is rerouted via the (F) so much, they probably have that on speed dial.

Just to clarify, when the (A)(C) operate over the (F), they'll set it to a special version of the existing (A)(C) programs with a "via Delancey Street" sign added. Same for the (F) when it operates via the (A)(C). IIRC the MTA really doesn't like changing letters mid route and would rather have " (C) train via the (F) during the reroute than change to the (F) at West 4th and back to (C) at Jay.

Not trying to make you look like a fool. Just setting the record straight cause that post was a bit ambiguous...

Sent from my iPod touch using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Just to clarify, when the (A)(C) operate over the (F), they'll set it to a special version of the existing (A)(C) programs with a "via Delancey Street" sign added. Same for the (F) when it operates via the (A)(C). IIRC the MTA really doesn't like changing letters mid route and would rather have " (C) train via the (F) during the reroute than change to the (F) at West 4th and back to (C) at Jay.

Not trying to make you look like a fool. Just setting the record straight cause that post was a bit ambiguous...

I didn't word it that way, but I think I meant the same thing. I know that already (much like the (N) operating via the (D) or "West End").

That's why I used the term speed dial. Routes are programmed in entirety. I never once thought they were programmed on a modular basis. That's painstaking.

Something weird happened today.I took the (2) from Sterling to Flatbush.Normal until right before Flatbush.We wait for 2 trains to leave the station but after the 2nd one left we still did not move.I got very worried about potential switch problems.we move about 5 minutes later.I asked the T/O what happened and he claims Flatbush Dispatch didn't know we were waiting to get in.

Something weird happened today.I took the (2) from Sterling to Flatbush.Normal until right before Flatbush.We wait for 2 trains to leave the station but after the 2nd one left we still did not move.I got very worried about potential switch problems.we move about 5 minutes later.I asked the T/O what happened and he claims Flatbush Dispatch didn't know we were waiting to get in.

That's another one.

I was at 42nd St - PABT and an (A) train that was crowded at 2 AM (yes, 2 AM!) was idling at the local track. I noticed headlights at the last car and said (well, mouthed bevause the noisy trash carrier was on the EXP track) to the conductor "Another (A) train on your tail".

She looked bewildered and then proceeded to close the doors and haul out.

Is this a sign that existing signal systems are deteriorating?

BTW do you guys think CBTC is worth it? I was thinking of a system with speed cameras and deer whistles. I'll go into detail if asked. I don't feel like tying volumes as much.

It is Friday.

Huh, the (G) still operates R68As. This is why Joekorner can't always be trusted lol.

They operate unofficially and the number on the line fluctuates from day to day. This is the same reason why he doesn't list the R160 (R) and R143 (J)(Z).

They operate unofficially and the number on the line fluctuates from day to day. This is the same reason why he doesn't list the R160 (R) and R143 (J)(Z).

I kinda figured that. That's why I put the lol at the end of my post. But still kind of surprised me because of it not being listed.

For some reason, the countdown clocks in the downtown platform of 59th Street - Lex Av are showing times for uptown trains and the uptown clocks are showing downtown times. Hopefully someone fixes that soon...

Wouldn't be the first time.

For a while I was hearing uptown announcements on the downtown (A)(C) platform at 168th St - Bway. They mistook trash carriers for service trains & the (A) for a non service train.

Wouldn't be the first time.

For a while I was hearing uptown announcements on the downtown (A)(C) platform at 168th St - Bway. They mistook trash carriers for service trains & the (A) for a non service train.

The next train indicators along most of the B-Division are not sophisticated enough to distinguish between a passenger train and a work train.

For some reason, the countdown clocks in the downtown platform of 59th Street - Lex Av are showing times for uptown trains and the uptown clocks are showing downtown times. Hopefully someone fixes that soon...

Ive seen that happen before at Fulton St on the (4)(5) were a downtown train was announced at the uptown platform and vice versa.

Wait the (7) countdown clocks are working now?

Only between 111th Street and Queensboro Plaza, and they are the B Division type ones. Countdown clocks at all stations on the (7) should be active when CBTC goes online but I'm not sure how the announcements or text will be formatted.

EDIT: In fact, a few days ago, I saw a countdown clock on the (7) that displayed "7 lcl Hudson Yards 1 mins"...

Edited by Tech And Transit

Yea, but the messages dont stay or operate like the B division clocks (well they almost operate similarly.) But the ATS system on the (7) is a weird one, it's like a mix of A Division and B division (more like C division lmao)

Speaking of countdown clocks I wish they'd go back to "the next Manhattan bound express __ train to __ will arrive in __ minutes" The new "There is __ train to __ minutes away" can be confusing at times. 

I remember when they first started the new announcements and I rushed to swipe my pass and bolted up the stairs like a fool thinking the train was arriving. The new system is starting to get familiar, but I prefer the old one.

Anyone know why they changed it?

Speaking of countdown clocks I wish they'd go back to "the next Manhattan bound express __ train to __ will arrive in __ minutes" The new "There is __ train to __ minutes away" can be confusing at times.

I remember when they first started the new announcements and I rushed to swipe my pass and bolted up the stairs like a fool thinking the train was arriving. The new system is starting to get familiar, but I prefer the old one.

They should change it back in the terminals. It doesn't make sence say "there is a downtown (1) train to South Ferry 6 minutes away" at Van Cortlandt Park terminal when the train is already there awaiting departure. They should switch it back to "the train will depart in said minute".

IMO this was one of those scenarios were fixing something that wasn't broken in the first place.

Edited by jon2305

The 7 line is part of what was the IRT. Why isn't its countdown clicks formatted like lines 1-6?