SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

What is the flashing light on the R62A? It was by one of the doors on the #7 train

IIRC, flaking means or was reset via the circut breaker. Solid yellow light definitely means dead motor(s). All the current non-NTT cars have that yellow light.

Good News and bad news.

Good news is that they fixed the Rector St program for the (2).

Bad news is that it sounds like a spliced mess. The first part comes from the Lex announcments, the second is 7th Avenue announcing Rector St, and then followed by the usual "2 train."

That's what it always was. Somehow it got corrupted along the way when the cars was updated with the new combined stripmaps.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was pretty packed today, so R160s were a good choice. Rush hours the R46s are unbearable.

That's odd for a weekend. I've ridden the (R) countless times during the rush and it's one of the only few lines I can get standing room. Then again, your train could have been extremely late. Edited by S78 via Hylan

I think the (F) should give the (R) more R160's just so that the R46's would be out in the open once they hit the Culver line in Brooklyn. The only problem is that boarding times is a little different on a 75ft train. I'm surprised the R46's are not having A/C problems since the two lines that they run on are mostly underground (A), and completely underground (R).

That's odd for a weekend. I've ridden the (R) countless times during the rush and it's one of the only few lines I can get standing room. Then again, your train could have been extremely late.

There were a lot of tourists on the train in Manhattan. If I were to break it down:

-The train already had a seated load with a few standees when I got on at Bay Ridge Avenue and remained that way until Atlantic-Barclays.

-From Atlantic to Whitehall, there were a good amount of passengers but still seats open.

-From Whitehall to Cortlandt, all the seats were taken with a good amount of standees

-From Cortlandt to Times Square, the train was packed to the gills, with even more standees , then when the train left Whitehall.

The trip on the way home was less crowded, but still pretty busy from 14 Street to Cortlandt Street and then the ridership dropped off.

As for the R46s in rush hour, they really just can't handle crowds,particularly in the evening rush and on the section in Lower Manhattan.

EDIT: I also want to add that the (R) took to Manhattan was scheduled to arrive at Bay Ridge Av at 11:40 AM and did in fact arrive at 11:40, so the train wasn't late

Edited by Around the Horn

The southbound countdown clocks at Times Square and Herald Square on the Broadway Line are displaying the "Aw Snap, something went wrong" error message. So we now know that they are apparently using the Chrome/Chromium browser to display what is probably simple HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. The old LED countdown clocks at 28 Street still display only the date and time.

Is there something going on with the R46s?

The (R) was wall to wall R160s today; during my two trips I saw 10 R160s and only 2 R46s.

That's because the (R) has been extended to Jamaica - 179th Street. I believe they have more access to R160s used by (F) cars since Queens bound (F) trains are rerouted via the (M), meaning they have less headway so they can spare those cars for the (R) more.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

There were a lot of tourists on the train in Manhattan. If I were to break it down:

-The train already had a seated load with a few standees when I got on at Bay Ridge Avenue and remained that way until Atlantic-Barclays.

-From Atlantic to Whitehall, there were a good amount of passengers but still seats open.

-From Whitehall to Cortlandt, all the seats were taken with a good amount of standees

-From Cortlandt to Times Square, the train was packed to the gills, with even more standees , then when the train left Whitehall.

The trip on the way home was less crowded, but still pretty busy from 14 Street to Cortlandt Street and then the ridership dropped off.

As for the R46s in rush hour, they really just can't handle crowds,particularly in the evening rush and on the section in Lower Manhattan.

EDIT: I also want to add that the (R) took to Manhattan was scheduled to arrive at Bay Ridge Av at 11:40 AM and did in fact arrive at 11:40, so the train wasn't late

I agree 100 percent....Like i said before where in 2016 and the R shares a yard with just 2 other lines with over 700 R160s...at 3$ fare ill rather see an r160 pull in on the R than a r46 that ran on that line forever....for a line that runs thru 3 boros should have R160 on it because to me it is busy enough...im not saying that it should be a all r160 line but most of the R cars should be r160s considering jamaica has just the E F....

Eventually if all goes planned well in accordance to the R211 order and delivery, in which the (R) could become a primary candidate, this conversation would become irrelevant.

Again this is speculation and lets hope that the RIGHT builder is chosen for the R211s timeframe.

Yea and that bottlenecked (R) service to the point where it was a gigantic mess.

See here's the thing, when Plan 3 is in place and you suspended all elevated service, that's the point when the subway starts to become a real hot mess.

For example, back in Blizzard2016, when the (L) was suspended between some stop I can't remember and Rockaway Parkway, they had to store the R143's on the express tracks on CPW (which was a awesome photo op by the way.) This caused (C) service to be suspended since the (A) had to be running local and three services on the local track is going to severely delay service on CPW.

Same thing with the (7), since Hunters Point was its last stop, that severely delayed service along the (7) from 34th St to Hunters Point since only two tracks were being used.

Remember, every line was built and is modified to this day to make sure that service doesn't delay (except for QBL thats a horror show) bottleneck. It's to maintain TPH and service.

The whole CPW can't using three lines on one track is irrelevant because they had G.Os where either all trains run on the local track in one direction or express in one direction.

And btw the (C) ran that Saturday morning during the Blizzard but they suspended it that afternoon. That Sunday it was suspended all day.

I agree 100 percent....Like i said before where in 2016 and the R shares a yard with just 2 other lines with over 700 R160s...at 3$ fare ill rather see an r160 pull in on the R than a r46 that ran on that line forever....for a line that runs thru 3 boros should have R160 on it because to me it is busy enough...im not saying that it should be a all r160 line but most of the R cars should be r160s considering jamaica has just the E F....

You know your stuff. It really is good to know I'm not as extreme a transit junky as you and the others. You guys make me seem normal.

Then again, so does the whole city.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

There was an (F) on the Manhattan Bridge today

I was taking an (F) to Rockefeller Center to transfer to either to the Uptown (B) or (D). There were delays getting there, and my train pulled in on the Southbound express track, but because of the layout of the station it is in the local track position. An (M) pulled in on the local track. My (F) train apparently continued express.

Is it normal to see Church Avenue bound (F) trains in the PM rush?

They also need to add more Countdown clocks on the Broadway line( or add a screen facing the other side). One screen on a platform isn't gonna cut it.

No, they are just for the construction on the Culver Line.

Many (F) trains were on the Manhattan Bridge today. There were also many (D) trains on the Culver line and a couple of (R) trains made it in service to Coney Island via West End.

Yeah. I found out about the messy morning commute after I posted that.

The southbound countdown clocks at Times Square and Herald Square on the Broadway Line are displaying the "Aw Snap, something went wrong" error message. So we now know that they are apparently using the Chrome/Chromium browser to display what is probably simple HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. The old LED countdown clocks at 28 Street still display only the date and time.

They are up and running again as of this afternoon.