SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's travels:

Waited for the (A) this afternoon at 14 St, and (as usual lol) the train came late and crowded. Waited too long for it to show up, so I bit the bullet and crammed my way in. Surprisingly, I was able to get a seat (A window one at that) at 42 St. There was the usual people holding the doors the trip up, with the conductor repeatedly announcing that there was a train directly behind us.

Fast forward to 145 St. After leaving the station, we switched to the local track. Didn't hear the announcement as I had my music on blast, but I felt the train switch. We stopped at 155 and 163 Sts. As we're pulling into 168 St, the train behind us pulls into the station at the same time on the express track.

We both sitting in the station and I noticed from my seat that the express train had the line-up to leave the station first. I bailed to that train since I had to go to 207 St, and the train was almost completely empty.

Many (F) trains were on the Manhattan Bridge today. There were also many (D) trains on the Culver line and a couple of (R) trains made it in service to Coney Island via West End.

There was flooding at Columbus Circle that same day and (B)(D) service was adversely affected.

I couldn't take the (D) to Bedford Park Blvd reliably so I took the (F) and Xferred at 63rd Street to an uptown (4). Five more stops, yes, but ten less minutes because the (4] was instructed to skip four stops to terminate at Burnside Ave.

Sweet.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

Today's travels:

Waited for the (A) this afternoon at 14 St, and (as usual lol) the train came late and crowded. Waited too long for it to show up, so I bit the bullet and crammed my way in. Surprisingly, I was able to get a seat (A window one at that) at 42 St. There was the usual people holding the doors the trip up, with the conductor repeatedly announcing that there was a train directly behind us.

Fast forward to 145 St. After leaving the station, we switched to the local track. Didn't hear the announcement as I had my music on blast, but I felt the train switch. We stopped at 155 and 163 Sts. As we're pulling into 168 St, the train behind us pulls into the station at the same time on the express track.

We both sitting in the station and I noticed from my seat that the express train had the line-up to leave the station first. I bailed to that train since I had to go to 207 St, and the train was almost completely empty.

It would’ve been a good idea to switch to the local track at 34 Street–Penn Station to ditch some people, and then at 42 Street–Port Authority Bus Terminal announce that the train was running local and there was an express train arriving across the platform shortly. Technically, it would also be true; the (A) would stop at 51 Street before switching back to the express track at 59 Street–Columbus Circle (after announcing the fact, of course). Why should people on a train ahead ever have to defer to a train behind it?

Since we were talking about stalker trains not too long ago:

I get on the first Manhattan bound (Z) which was an R160 (8317-8320/8501-8504), ride it to Broadway Junction to get the (L). I take that to Halsey St, exit and head northbound on George St until Myrtle Av and eat breakfast at my favorite diner. Eventually, I do the inverse of my commute and just happened to miss the (J) and the next one that shows up is the exact same R160 I caught on the way to the diner.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

It would’ve been a good idea to switch to the local track at 34 Street–Penn Station to ditch some people, and then at 42 Street–Port Authority Bus Terminal announce that the train was running local and there was an express train arriving across the platform shortly. Technically, it would also be true; the (A) would stop at 51 Street before switching back to the express track at 59 Street–Columbus Circle (after announcing the fact, of course). Why should people on a train ahead ever have to defer to a train behind it?

You cannot switch to the local tracks at 34th Street and the switch from the local to the express tracks is north of 59th Street

NYCT can learn from London Underground, the announcements are more informative,  for example instead of "This train is being held by the train's dispatcher" on the Underground I believe I heard "This train is being held for service regulation" 

"This train is being held for signal clearance"

or in Chicago:

"Your attention please: We are being delayed, waiting for signals ahead. We expect to be moving shortly."

"Your attention please. We are being delayed because crews are working on the track ahead. We expect to be moving shortly."

"Your attention please. We are being delayed because of a medical emergency. Assistance has been requested and we hope to be moving shortly."

"Your attention please. We are being delayed because of an equipment problem on a train. Work is under way to correct the problem. We hope to be moving shortly."

"This train is being held for signal clearance"

or in Chicago:

"Your attention please: We are being delayed, waiting for signals ahead. We expect to be moving shortly."

"Your attention please. We are being delayed because crews are working on the track ahead. We expect to be moving shortly."

"Your attention please. We are being delayed because of a medical emergency. Assistance has been requested and we hope to be moving shortly."

"Your attention please. We are being delayed because of an equipment problem on a train. Work is under way to correct the problem. We hope to be moving shortly."

One more for the workers dropping off or getting on at the yards (especially in Coney Island): “Ladies and gentlemen, this train is being held momentarily to let employees get on/off the train.”

No it can't. The switch you're talking about is long disabled. The last time they used it was back in 2012 and it was only because of Hurricane Sandy. Prior to that its been disabled since the late 1990s.

I guess Pete is really not interested in keeping his track maps updated. So that diagram seems to be just as wrong as the Nassau Street one.

No it can't. The switch you're talking about is long disabled. The last time they used it was back in 2012 and it was only because of Hurricane Sandy. Prior to that its been disabled since the late 1990s.

Interesting.

I guess Pete is really not interested in keeping his track maps updated. So that diagram seems to be just as wrong as the Nassau Street one.

Based on the questions he asks every year prior to the release of his track book, he may not be aware of every switch or track layout change that occurs.

He has focused on his book, Tracks of the New York City Subway.

http://nyctrackbook.com

The track maps in his most recent version of the book still includes this switch.

It's not really disabled. 30th St interlocking can still be used if need be. Just like Lafayette, York, etc.

NYCT can learn from London Underground, the announcements are more informative,  for example instead of "This train is being held by the train's dispatcher" on the Underground I believe I heard "This train is being held for service regulation" 

:lol: "Service regulation"? What on earth does that mean?

"Held by dispatch" is very clear to me, thank you very much. 

:lol: "Service regulation"? What on earth does that mean?

"Held by dispatch" is very clear to me, thank you very much. 

To regulate the time of arrival/departure at stations like how homeostasis regulates your body temperature so that it isn’t too cold or too hot.