SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Ridership at Hudson Yards was actually decent when I was there a couple weeks ago. I expect it to tick up quite a bit when all of those new buildings open up and are occupied.

That's the idea. The station itself is supposed to drive development - just as the original IRT/BMT elevateds did in the outer boroughs.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ridership at Hudson Yards was actually decent when I was there a couple weeks ago. I expect it to tick up quite a bit when all of those new buildings open up and are occupied.

if it goes high enough maybe there might be a 9th/10th/11th/12th avenue line in the future?

There's this one part of the WTC hub where all the heat from the (1) train tunnel just overtakes the immediate area. If you walk from the 3rd floor of Oculus toward 4WTC you'll see what I mean. You can hear the trains going by as well.

In theory (and that's *if* they even plan it this way, which they probably didn't/won't), I think they could re-open at least the uptown (1) Cortlandt Street stop within 18 months-2 years. I think the tunnel is just shallow enough that the uptown platform can link up directly with the upper floors of the mall.

There's this one part of the WTC hub where all the heat from the (1) train tunnel just overtakes the immediate area. If you walk from the 3rd floor of Oculus toward 4WTC you'll see what I mean. You can hear the trains going by as well.

In theory (and that's *if* they even plan it this way, which they probably didn't/won't), I think they could re-open at least the uptown (1) Cortlandt Street stop within 18 months-2 years. I think the tunnel is just shallow enough that the uptown platform can link up directly with the upper floors of the mall.

From the looks of things as you go past, two years is very, very generous.

From the looks of things as you go past, two years is very, very generous.

I was actually thinking about saying "the end of next year", but I wanted to hedge my bet  :D

If they wait until the downtown side is finished, it would probably be about 2 years anyway. But yeah, if I was in charge I'd prioritize the uptown side and have the uptown platform open by the end of next year.

Edited by paulrivera

There will be two exits from the (1) train to the mall. One into the second level of the Oculus (directly above the PATH entrance) and another into the second level of the mall near 4 World Trade.

The IRT was a mess this morning. At every stop starting from the terminal the conductor had to get on the PA and tell people to move out the way if you weren't exiting and that 5's were running local in BK and up the west side.

Later on I saw a train operator out of uniform wearing a green shirt and a vest lol. It probably was a TSS, but he was operating the train though.

I have a question about phase 2 of the Second Ave line. Since a good amount of the tunnels were already dug out completing phase 2 should not take as long as phase 1 right?

I hope by 2020 we could see the (Q) extended up to 125th or at least 116th. Yesterday I thought a ride on the M15SBS from 68th street to 23rd wouldn't be that long and boy was I wrong. Taxi's and some cars still don't respect that fact that the bus lane is there for buses. When the (T) line is complete in the near future it would definitely be a huge relief for traveling over there on the Eastside.

I have a question about phase 2 of the Second Ave line. Since a good amount of the tunnels were already dug out completing phase 2 should not take as long as phase 1 right?

I hope by 2020 we could see the (Q) extended up to 125th or at least 116th. Yesterday I thought a ride on the M15SBS from 68th street to 23rd wouldn't be that long and boy was I wrong. Taxi's and some cars still don't respect that fact that the bus lane is there for buses. When the (T) line is complete in the near future it would definitely be a huge relief for traveling over there on the Eastside.

Definitely not by 2020, but maybe by the middle of the next decade. Even with the existing tunnel sections, a lot of work still needs to be done to extend the line from its "present" terminus at 96th Street to 125th Street.

Definitely not by 2020, but maybe by the middle of the next decade. Even with the existing tunnel sections, a lot of work still needs to be done to extend the line from its "present" terminus at 96th Street to 125th Street.

Also, the FEIS needs to be updated.

Why didn't they make the new South Ferry an elevated terminal?

They don't even think about it because of NIMBYs.