SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you made them, they would each need to get their own MetroCard to ride simultaneously.

Good point. That would get expensive. If you could splice my EasyPay card to multiple plastics, that would be cool.

Every MetroCard ever issued has a unique ID, a base type & a physical expiration date.

I went over types in an earlier post. For example, PATH turnstiles only take type 22.

???? Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow ????

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer ????

Any further word on the electronic displays that appeared on the R68s?

I'm interested in hearing about that too. Those cars still have some gusto left. A refurbishment would do them good.

When the (D) was bisected three weeks ago, a conductor I talked with lamented the limited appeal of the rollers. "Wish we could be gone with them already", says one conductor at 34th St.

" nobody listens to us anyway", says another at Pacific Street.

Someone posted a preview earlier. Can strip maps be retrofitted as well, maybe with OLED for a nicer aesthetic touch?

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow

They say reading is fundamental, why don't people do it on the weekends when the 4 train does not go to Brooklyn?

Because people are idiots. [emoji39]

Some users on this forum either give commuters too much credit or kudos, or they're stuck with the smarter crowd. I want to meet that crowd.

Because people are lazy and don't care enough to read a poster that, if they looked at for at least a second, would save them some time on their commute.

That's great. You agree.

Had a 10 minute wait for the s/b (6) at 68 St today. Skipped 33 St, 28 St, and 23 St. I'm assuming that was to fix the spacing since the next train was to come two minutes after. Just curious if anyone knows the origin of the delays.

Also there was plenty of work equipment on the Brighton Line today. Definitely on both express tracks and I couldn't tell but it looked like equipment on the n/b local as well? Not sure though. Anyone know what these are for?

ALSO, I've been seeing a lot more work cars in the 9 Av station and railyard. Once more, anyone know why?

Ty!!

Oh! One last question (for now). How many express services could the fourth avenue hold? I have a hunch it's at capacity with the D and N but since it's just a large stretch of express, maybe a third service could fit in?

EDIT: Oh geez, more. How exactly does skip-stop service work? And how come they can't just make the (J) a fully local service and the (Z) peak direction express?

Edited by YungMarxian

They have the (2) train running on 8 minute headways today. Sure it's not running to the Bronx and it's still considered a service cut when you factor in the (3) not running (combined 6 minute headway), but they don't normally adjust headways for the better for weekend G.O.'s.

They want Lexington and 7 Av corridors to have at least 15 tph per hour on weekends minimum. Since the  (3) isnt running, they beefed  (2) service so 7 Av has 15tph. 

EDIT: Oh geez, more. How exactly does skip-stop service work? And how come they can't just make the (J) a fully local service and the (Z) peak direction express?

From Mytrle Av up to JFK during the 5PM hr. or the other way around around 7-8AM, the J skips one stop to another as the other train make the stops the J bypassed (the Z). It doesn't bypass transferring points (Bway Jnction, Alabama Av, Creacent St and Woodhaven Blvd)

And train conjestion is the answer.

Edited by CH3348

From Mytrle Av up to JFK during the 5PM hr. or the other way around around 7-8AM, the J skips one stop to another as the other train make the stops the J bypassed (the Z). It doesn't bypass transferring points (Bway Jnction, Alabama Av, Creacent St and Woodhaven Blvd)

And train conjestion is the answer.

I'm not sure why but I can't fathom how skip-stop doesn't cause delays but it must work if they keep it Lol

How so does (Z) Express and (J) Local create congestion?

There's only two tracks from Broadway Junction to Jamaica Center, one track going in each direction (I'm only talking about this portion since that's where most of the skip-stop service happens). Having some trains run express and some trains run local on that one track during rush hours is not a good idea. You'll have some (if not all) express trains stalled because of local trains stopping at each station.

There's only two tracks from Broadway Junction to Jamaica Center, one track going in each direction (I'm only talking about this portion since that's where most of the skip-stop service happens). Having some trains run express and some trains run local on that one track during rush hours is not a good idea. You'll have some (if not all) express trains stalled because of local trains stopping at each station.

There is a middle track but only used from Marcy Av to Mytrle Av at a specific time. The middle track is only for lay-up (around 111 st) and for trains in-service from ENY yard

Edited by CH3348

I'm not sure why but I can't fathom how skip-stop doesn't cause delays but it must work if they keep it Lol

Trains are spaced apart enough where they won't run into each other. 5 minutes between each train, 10 minutes between each individual (J) or (Z).

ohhhh nah I meant why not run them all local where it's double tracked and the (J) Local // (Z) Express when it's triple tracked. But I guess skip-stop is faster.

So, can the J/Z ever be separated or does that totally throw off the skip-stop schedule?

ohhhh nah I meant why not run them all local where it's double tracked and the (J) Local // (Z) Express when it's triple tracked. But I guess skip-stop is faster.

So, can the J/Z ever be separated or does that totally throw off the skip-stop schedule?

It would throw off the whole line. The (J) and (Z) were not built like the (7) where there is a dedicate express track for most of the route in Queens. Perhaps having express tracks and more express stations such as the one at Broadway Junction and Myrtle Ave the line could allow the (J) to have its own full time express service. Skip Stop simply just skips a few stations while stopping at others.

It would throw off the whole line. The (J) and (Z) were not built like the (7) where there is a dedicate express track for most of the route in Queens. Perhaps having express tracks and more express stations such as the one at Broadway Junction and Myrtle Ave the line could allow the (J) to have its own full time express service. Skip Stop simply just skips a few stations while stopping at others.

And I guess when you get down to it, constructing another dedicated rail and some platforms would be near impossible. How long would it take to run the (J) entirely from Sutphin to lower manhattan?

And I guess when you get down to it, constructing another dedicated rail and some platforms would be near impossible. How long would it take to run the (J) entirely from Sutphin to lower manhattan?

The (J)/(Z) takes the same amount of time as the (E) to get to the Chambers Street/Fulton Street (FiDi) area. Were an express track to be built, the geometric efficiency of the route would make the (Z) (express) faster than the (E) to get to FiDi.

The (J)/(Z) takes the same amount of time as the (E) to get to the Chambers Street/Fulton Street (FiDi) area. Were an express track to be built, the geometric efficiency of the route would make the (Z) (express) faster than the (E) to get to FiDi.

How long do you suppose an entirely local (J)/(Z) train would take to get from sutphin to chambers?