SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

IDK if this was mentioned of not but I don't think the R32 (A) runs anymore..

Went to look for it twice these past couple of weeks but saw only 46s on the (A). I assume the 46 that derailed on the (F) was repaired and returned to service so there's no need for 32's to run on the (A) at the moment.

They switched the R32 (A) interval to a later time as of January.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a (2) via Lex going downtown this morning. Was it just my train, or does the train not announce itself as a BK bound (2) train >via the Lexington Ave line< ? It only announced itself as a (2) express

The recent updates to the automated announcements (the ones that remove local and express from two-track sections of the lines) now use the standard <borough>-bound recordings instead of the "via 7th Avenue"/"via Lexington Ave" ones as they did previously except at Atlantic Av and 149 Street I believe. Oddly enough, the Brooklyn-bound (2) via Lexington Ave always used the standard announcement for some reason or another.

I'M OUT WHERE IS THIS CONCERT!?!?!

First off, calm down. It's not that serious. Secondly...

Tomorrow there's a concert in Central Park (Global Citizen Festival) possibly they will run some specials after the concert ends like they always do. 

Reading is fundamental.

Is anyone familiar with the hypothetical connections between IND Crosstown and the Franklin (S) and IND Crosstown and BMT Astoria? Would either of these connections have enough ridership to justify constructing necessary infrastructure to run services?

There have been a few not so serious proposals to connect the Franklin Ave shuttle to the Crosstown via the Bedford-Nostrand Avs station, but nothing serious has ever come from them. As for linking the Astoria and Crosstown lines together, I haven't seen anything with that kind of proposal. Not since the original proposal to build the Crosstown line as an elevated back in the 1910s that is.

Answering your question, while such connections would be a bit beneficial to riders travelling between Queens and Brooklyn, the overall usefulness would not be able to offset the exorbitant costs of building said connections. On the southern end, at the very least, new tunneling would have to be done under Franklin Ave to connect to the Crosstown line, which would likely involve building a new underground station at Franklin Av-Fulton St. For the Astoria-Crosstown connection, new tunnels and a portal would have to be built in the already packed Queensboro Plaza area to get from the Astoria line to the Crosstown line. It might look like a straight shot from 39 Avenue, but one has to consider the Queens Blvd tracks already there along with other utilities. And that doesn't take into consideration that the Queensboro Plaza would be skipped under this idea. If the plan was to include that station as a transfer point, it would involve more construction and possibly reclamation of several buildings in the area.

First off, calm down. It's not that serious. Secondly...

Reading is fundamental.

Plus the specials aren't exactly "rare" nowadays. They've been appearing every other weekend.

Also the (C) hasn't seen an R68 since at least a year. Highly doubt that one will automatically appear this weekend.

Plus the specials aren't exactly "rare" nowadays. They've been appearing every other weekend.

Also the (C) hasn't seen an R68 since at least a year. Highly doubt that one will automatically appear this weekend.

If anything, you'll see 207 pull out some spare R160's and put them on the (A) and (B) as shuttles to 2nd Avenue again.

What I am really annoyed about is the Brighton line. It's like either the (Q) became express or the (B) became local in either direction for the past year. These G.O.s keep happening in the middle of the week. When I wait at Kings Hwy station for a local (Q) to Manhattan at around 2:30 PM, I have to wait till at least 3:00 PM for the next local train (however the posters do say till 3:00 PM). Also, there are situations where there is a train on the local track, (B) or (Q), running every 3-5 minutes. Seriously, how long is this going to be happening?

Also, I tend to notice that some of the (Q)'s that do go express actually announce it with the normal announcements, instead of the operator announcing the train going express, and that others display the "Will Not Stop" on the FIND display.

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by Tonyboy515

What I am really annoyed about is the Brighton line. It's like either the (Q) became express or the (B) became local in either direction for the past year. These G.O.s keep happening in the middle of the week. When I wait at Kings Hwy station for a local (Q) to Manhattan at around 2:30 PM, I have to wait till at least 3:00 PM for the next local train (however the posters do say till 3:00 PM). Also, there are situations where there is a train on the local track, (B) or (Q), running every 3-5 minutes. Seriously, how long is this going to be happening?

Also, I tend to notice that some of the (Q)'s that do go express actually announce it with the normal announcements, instead of the operator announcing the train going express, and that others display the "Will Not Stop" on the FIND display.

Always.

The Brighton Line will be hammered a bit more often once the 2 Avenue stations are up and running. Wear and tear on the tracks pretty much guarantees track work.

Always.

The Brighton Line will be hammered a bit more often once the 2 Avenue stations are up and running. Wear and tear on the tracks pretty much guarantees track work.

It is really annoying...

I don't get the situation with the R179 and the (Q)... Who the hell knows what is going to happen?

It is really annoying...

I don't get the situation with the R179 and the (Q)... Who the hell knows what is going to happen?

The (Q) is not getting R179s. The (Q) is going to be covered by lowering spare factors.

There is still a slim chance that the MTA will put the pilot set of R179's on the first (Q) up Second Avenue (considering that they put the newest production R188 on the first (7) train from Hudson Yards).

That set is said to go on the (A) first but not exactly guaranteed. It's just preliminary testing assignment, nothing said in stone....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

On the B Division, what is the difference between IND and BMT?

Not much, just most notably the lettering ((A) - (G) = IND, (J) - (Z) = BMT, (T) is planned to be built for the IND) plus the Jamaica, Nassau, and Canarsie lines are only able to fit 8 cars, something only the BMT can do. The BMT south (lines to Bay Ridge and Coney Island) and the Broadway/Astoria lines were expanded to fit IND cars. Edited by ShadeJay

That set is said to go on the (A) first but not exactly guaranteed. It's just preliminary testing assignment, nothing said in stone....

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I'm thinking that it will be on the (A) most of the time and just for that day, they would put in on the (Q) but we'll see.

so next year R32'S will definitely run on the M train during the myrtle viduct reconstruction?

On the section between Metropolitan Av and Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs, yes. The main section between 71 Avenue and Broadway Junction will continue to use its 160s. The 32s on the shortened section of the Myrtle Ave line will be maintained at the temporary Fresh Pond facility.

On the B Division, what is the difference between IND and BMT?

Nowadays, not much. Historically, a lot. The IND lines, primarily the  (A) through  (G) for the sake of simplicity, were built by the city with public funds for the city's Independent Subway in the 1930s and '40s. The BMT, or Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit Company, was a private entity emerging from the bankruptcy and reorganization of the much older Brooklyn Rapid Transit or BRT. Most of the lines under the BRT/BMT umbrella, now used mainly by the  (J) through  (W), were built at the end of the 19th century through the early 1930s. Most lines were built using private funding, but some lines, like the Canarsie line west of Broadway Junction, were financed with city funds, much like the IRT subway lines.

For those interested, here's a list of lines using former IND/BMT trackage:

A - 207 Street to Grant Av - IND

A - 80 Street to Lefferts Blvd - BMT

B - Bedford Park to Broadway-Lafayette St - IND

B - DeKalb Av to Brighton Beach - BMT

C - IND

D - 205 Street to Broadway-Lafayette St - IND

D - DeKalb Av to Coney Island - BMT

E - IND

F - 179 Street to Church Av - IND

F - Ditmas Av to Coney Island - BMT

G - IND

J - 121 Street to Broad St - BMT

L - BMT

M - 71 Avenue to Broadway-Lafayette St - IND

M - Metropolitan Av to Essex St - BMT

N - BMT

Q - BMT

R - 71 Avenue to Queens Plaza - IND

R - Lexington Av-59 St to 95 Street - BMT

W - BMT

You may notice I did not include sections built after the IND ceased to exist as a company. That is intentional.

Edited by Lance
BMT Sections for the B, D lines start at DeKalb Av, not Atlantic Av.