SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On the section between Metropolitan Av and Myrtle-Wyckoff Avs, yes. The main section between 71 Avenue and Broadway Junction will continue to use its 160s. The 32s on the shortened section of the Myrtle Ave line will be maintained at the temporary Fresh Pond facility.

Nowadays, not much. Historically, a lot. The IND lines, primarily the (A) through (G) for the sake of simplicity, were built by the city with public funds for the city's Independent Subway in the 1930s and '40s. The BMT, or Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit Company, was a private entity emerging from the bankruptcy and reorganization of the much older Brooklyn Rapid Transit or BRT. Most of the lines under the BRT/BMT umbrella, now used mainly by the (J) through (W), were built at the end of the 19th century through the early 1930s. Most lines were built using private funding, but some lines, like the Canarsie line west of Broadway Junction, were financed with city funds, much like the IRT subway lines.

For those interested, here's a list of lines using former IND/BMT trackage:

A - 207 Street to Grant Av - IND

A - 80 Street to Lefferts Blvd - BMT

B - Bedford Park to Broadway-Lafayette St - IND

B - DeKalb Av to Brighton Beach - BMT

C - IND

D - 205 Street to Broadway-Lafayette St - IND

D - DeKalb Av to Coney Island - BMT

E - IND

F - 179 Street to Church Av - IND

F - Ditmas Av to Coney Island - BMT

G - IND

J - 121 Street to Broad St - BMT

L - BMT

M - 71 Avenue to Broadway-Lafayette St - IND

M - Metropolitan Av to Essex St - BMT

N - BMT

Q - BMT

R - 71 Avenue to Queens Plaza - IND

R - Lexington Av-59 St to 95 Street - BMT

W - BMT

You may notice I did not include sections built after the IND ceased to exist as a company. That is intentional.

I always thought that the Ditmas to Coney Island section of the :F: was IND

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why the Subway Map isn't updated to show that Red & Tan no longer serves the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal. That service is now operated by Saddle River Trails

Probably the same reason why the neighborhood maps are completely out of date. If it's not operated by the MTA, they rarely get around to updating that kind of information. It usually has to be pointed out to them before any changes are made.

The MTA On-The-Go kiosks on the (L) have been updated to use Live Arrivals from Subway Time.

<pic removed>

The ones on the IRT, however, still use the "scheduled arrivals".

Well, it's progress. I do find it amusing that the most important and relevant information is relegated to a small portion of the very of the monitor while the rest is used for advertising and PSAs like the See Something, Say Something campaign. Speaking of which, why does everyone in that picture look like they have that Michael Jackson disease?  :D

I always thought that the Ditmas to Coney Island section of the :F: was IND

Nope. The section between Ditmas Av and Coney Island was originally BMT, built in 1919 and 1920 as part of the Dual Contracts. When the Culver ramp, connecting the Church Av IND and Ditmas Av BMT stations was built in 1954, the entire line was rechained as part of the IND since the (D) would be the primary service on the line as opposed to the BMT #5, which was the previous service.

Also, another note about the On-The-Go Kiosks is that they also use Google Chrome / Chromium to display webpages, just like the new countdown clocks. The proof is that on a kiosk a few days ago, I saw the popup "Would you like to translate this page?" that Chrome gives when you read a webpage that is in a foreign language. I did not have time to take a photo or to press it, but it was there.

On a (D) train with WTC marked as it's southern terminal. Currently going over the manhattan bridge so that obviously isn't the case. Does this service pattern regularly happen or was this probably just a mistake?

The (D) has been running on the 8th avenue line during weekend G.O.s to the (E) WTC terminal station. I guess the train crews forgot to change the sign back.

The MTA On-The-Go kiosks on the (L) have been updated to use Live Arrivals from Subway Time.

The ones on the IRT, however, still use the "scheduled arrivals".

I was at Grand Central on Sunday and the downtown platform had the kiosk synced with the countdown clock. It looked like the layout with the scheduled times, but it was in fact real time.

Who is the best person to write to about the R train? I mean I get the fact that it's a long line, but waiting while five N trains pass by is inexcusable.

The same problem happens to all the lines, save the (S)s. Some lines will have it worse than others—especially the (2), (C), (F), and (R). I’ve had my fair share of grief over the (B), (D), and (N)’s performance. It’s really hard to quantify though, until the MTA releases train station arrival data which can be compared to the official schedule.

Edited by CenSin

Been noticing that whoever controls Queens Plaza going towards Jamaica and Forest hills has been using the hold lights a lot more lately. Any reason?

Buttons are fun—especially the ones you find on the elevators. The ensuing rage from everyone riding with you is also savory especially when they are delayed on their way up to the 100th floor.

Edited by CenSin

Who is the best person to write to about the R train? I mean I get the fact that it's a long line, but waiting while five N trains pass by is inexcusable.

I agree....The R should have been had more service added to it....It should run like the M in my opinion....They also should add more R160's to the R on wkdays.Broadway get crush loads..And please spare me the jamaica yard dont have enough cars to do that cause they do...The R should be a 10 car line...

There is nothing better than watching the train conductor grill two people who insisted the (E) train always goes to Jamaica Center, after being told point blank by me, two other passengers, the automated announcements and the FIND display that it is terminating at Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike.

I agree....The R should have been had more service added to it....It should run like the M in my opinion....They also should add more R160's to the R on wkdays.Broadway get crush loads..And please spare me the jamaica yard dont have enough cars to do that cause they do...The R should be a 10 car line...

How do you know they do have enough? Do you even know how many R160's are taken up by the (E) and (F)? What about spare factors? Or cars OOS for repairs? These are things you have to take into consideration.

As for you statement about crowding on Broadway, the (W) returning will help out with that.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

There is nothing better than watching the train conductor grill two people who insisted the (E) train always goes to Jamaica Center, after being told point blank by me, two other passengers, the automated announcements and the FIND display that it is terminating at Kew Gardens-Union Turnpike.

All southbound (F) trains go to Coney Island.

All northbound (N) trains run to Astoria.

Train service is normal around the clock.

/s

How do you know they do have enough? Do you even know how many R160's are taken up by the (E) and (F)? What about spare factors? Or cars OOS for repairs? These are things you have to take into consideration.

As for you statement about crowding on Broadway, the (W)'s return will help out with that.

Please with that...Let the R46's be the spares...Jamaica has over 700 R160's Enough for the E and F Entirely you do the math....6-7 sets of R160s on the R on wkdays will not create a car shortage...Im a regular R user and 3 dollars a fare in 2016 I want new cars im not saying the R should be entirely R160s but considering the  R is from a yard that can spare them... I'll understand better if the R shared a yard with several routes like it did when the V was here...Thats like to me still using a house phone when you have cell phones...lol

Please with that...Let the R46's be the spares...Jamaica has over 700 R160's Enough for the E and F Entirely you do the math....6-7 sets of R160s on the R on wkdays will not create a car shortage...Im a regular R user and 3 dollars a fare in 2016 I want new cars im not saying the R should be entirely R160s but considering the  R is from a yard that can spare them... I'll understand better if the R shared a yard with several routes like it did when the V was here...Thats like to me still using a house phone when you have cell phones...lol

As much as I would love to see more R160's on the (R), there aren't enough to go to all three lines. The (E) essentially requires R160's on all trains and if there were enough, the (F) would be 100% R160 too, but they hold their nose and run 5 trains or so of R46's a day. Weekends are an entirely different story, and thats when the (R) gets its R160s.

As much as I would love to see more R160's on the (R), there aren't enough to go to all three lines. The (E) essentially requires R160's on all trains and if there were enough, the (F) would be 100% R160 too, but they hold their nose and run 5 trains or so of R46's a day. Weekends are an entirely different story, and thats when the (R) gets its R160s.

lol...I understand the point that you and s78 are making....I was kidding about the cell phone and house phone thang....I just thought with 700 160s and 3 lines that most R service could see  them more on wkdays...But i guess not...

lol...I understand the point that you and s78 are making....I was kidding about the cell phone and house phone thang....I just thought with 700 160s and 3 lines that most R service could see  them more on wkdays...But i guess not...

The (E) and (F) use 660 R160's, so not much left over.

Currently, there are 760 of the R160s maintained at the Jamaica Yard according to the Car and Yard assignment sheet. As Around the Horn mentioned, 660 of those cars are allotted for (E) and (F) service on weekdays. Unless we're using that new math, that leaves 100 cars available for (R) service. That does not include a required spare factor, which keeps some cars out of service for necessary maintenance. Please inform me where we're finding the extra R160s to run on the (R) without taking some from the (E) and/or (F).

They always go to Jamaica Center, do they?

Maybe something could have happened that caused that (E) to terminate at Kew Gardens.

Well, three (E)s are scheduled to terminate at Kew Gardens in the morning rush hour. Do any of you check my location?

http://boerumhillscott.com/transit/TripDetails.php?trip=B20160612WKD_050850_E..N70R&dataset=nyc_subway

http://boerumhillscott.com/transit/TripDetails.php?trip=B20160612WKD_054200_E..N70R&dataset=nyc_subway

http://boerumhillscott.com/transit/TripDetails.php?trip=B20160612WKD_055300_E..N70R&dataset=nyc_subway

How about those (E)s that go to 179th Street?

http://boerumhillscott.com/transit/TripDetails.php?trip=B20160612WKD_102800_E..N55R&dataset=nyc_subway

http://boerumhillscott.com/transit/TripDetails.php?trip=B20160612WKD_104850_E..N55R&dataset=nyc_subway

http://boerumhillscott.com/transit/TripDetails.php?trip=B20160612WKD_112000_E..N55R&dataset=nyc_subway

http://boerumhillscott.com/transit/TripDetails.php?trip=B20160612WKD_116050_E..N55R&dataset=nyc_subway

Edited by Union Tpke