SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the R160's, the original AAS program for the (N) would have (I forgot who announces it, but it's the same person who does the (N)(Q)(R) and (W) announcments.) Sometime last year, they changed the Manhattan Bound announcments on the (N) to that person who announces the (A) and (C).

I hate having women train operators. They're so cautious and tend to brake earlier than men train operators. You don't get a good amount of speed from 18 Av to Av I (maybe twenty-five to thirty mph), what are you doing breaking thirty feet before the station?

Women, cautious?

One too many times have I seen women leave their pit cell during uneasy times.

Not long ago a female conductor was slugged as the (J) pulled into Essex Street one Thursday afternoon.

???? Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow ????

THE Hudson Valley's essential Fare-blazer ????

Why is the (N) signed as Sea Beach Express when there's only one set of rails that are used anyway? And if they were to use the center rail for revenue service (aside from current use with the station rehab), the current (N) 's route would be the local variant of sea beach.

My guess is it's the MTA's way of implying the (N) runs express on 4 Av (why not just say Astoria Local, Broadway Local, 4 Av Express, Sea Beach Local on the LED display though? Is it too wordy?).

Ive seen 4 Ave express or local when it runs via West end IIRC. But when the W returns, why not have the N say

To Astoria

Sea Beach/4 Av Exp

Broadway Express

Astoria Local

To Coney Island

Astoria Local

BWay/4 Av Exp

Sea Beach Lcl

With different late night and weekend variations

On the R160's, the original AAS program for the (N) would have (I forgot who announces it, but it's the same person who does the (N)(Q)(R) and (W) announcments.) Sometime last year, they changed the Manhattan Bound announcments on the (N) to that person who announces the (A) and (C).

Those have been like that for a while, at least for a few years.

That is true, but that was one of the reasons I came up with the idea of have the Z become its own line, running 24/7 between 95th Street and Chambers Street (terminating at Chambers on the uptown "local" track and starting on the downtown "local" track) while the J is mostly truncated to Chambers, terminating and beginning on the "express" tracks there (in this case, it would be set up where the train beginning its route is always waiting for the terminating train to come in before pulling out, with the Z only switching tracks at Chambers once the J to Archer leaves.  The exception to the J being truncated to Chambers would be this:

As this Z would have a max of 8 TPH, during rush hours, four J trains per hour would be extended to Broad Street and terminate there (keeping the J at its current 12 TPH max).  

Doing such eliminates the need for the R shuttle late nights since Z riders can switch to the N anywhere between 59th and Court Street if they are specifically looking for the 1 at Whitehall and otherwise can switch to the A at EITHER Jay-Metrotech OR Fulton Street and the 2 at Fulton Street during those times.  

I was going to ask what happened to the skip-stop service, but I see you answered that question in a later post. I'll respond to that in a moment. However, that does not answer another question I have. Why does the (J) have to terminate at Chambers St if this so-called (Z) runs to Brooklyn? When the (M) ran down to Coney Island and later Bay Parkway, it did not affect the usual (J) service at all. Why insert the unnecessary inconvenience?

Yeah, that is the one issue with this.  I previously came up with the idea that the J during the skip-stop period could be marked (J1) or (J2) with J1 being what the J currently serves on skip-stop and (J2) being what the Z serves then, with 2 TPH of each during rush hours making up the four J trains per hour (when the J is running 12 TPH)  extended to/from Broad Street.

Why are you trying to make things more confusing than they need to be? When Archer Ave opened in '88, the B-stop version of the (J) skip-stop was re-designated as the (Z). Do you know why? It was done to reduce confusion on which train would make certain stops and skip others. If there was any need to relabel every Jamaica train as a (J), it would've been done sometime in the intervening 28 years. Since it hasn't, obviously riders want that over your idea. Your "J1/J2" designation does nothing but restore that unnecessary confusion. 

Why is the N signed as Sea Beach Express when there's only one set of rails that are used anyway? And if they were to use the center rail for revenue service (aside from current use with the station rehab), the current N 's route would be the local variant of sea beach.

My guess is it's the MTA's way of implying the N runs express on 4 Av (why not just say Astoria Local, Broadway Local, 4 Av Express, Sea Beach Local on the LED display though? Is it too wordy?).

It's a holdover from years past. Despite running express only on 4th Avenue in Brooklyn, the #3 express,  :B: and (D) were always called the West End express. The #4 and (N) were the same way when running along the Sea Beach line. Most riders know that the trains are not running express on the actual Sea Beach or West End line, so I don't see the electronic signs changing any time soon. However, I feel that when the (D) finally receives new tech trains, whenever they decide to replace the 68s probably, they'll have to make some kind of change to the signs to reduce confusion. Perhaps the West End Through Express or something.

Anybody know why the Manhattan Bound N announcments were changed?

On the R160's, the original AAS program for the N would have (I forgot who announces it, but it's the same person who does the N Q R and W announcments.) Sometime last year, they changed the Manhattan Bound announcments on the N to that person who announces the A and C.

Those announcements were changed sometime in either 2007 or 2008. Maybe someone in car equipment didn't like how Cowdery sounded on that announcement. I don't know.

Yet one of the remaining sets still have the old N announcments for some odd reason.

Another thing, why do the rush hour N to 96th St programs still say "via 2nd Avenue line" instead of "via the Q line" or just "This is a 96th St bound N local train."

Another thing, why do the rush hour N to 96th St programs still say "via 2nd Avenue line" instead of "via the Q line" or just "This is a 96th St bound N local train."

I have no idea, considering this is the first time I have heard of it.

Speaking of which, how many routes have programs to 96 St?

I have no idea, considering this is the first time I have heard of it.

Speaking of which, how many routes have programs to 96 St?

I would think at least the (Q)(N)(R) and (F), since they have easy access to the 2nd Avenue Line. The (M) might get 96th Street programs...

I remember whenever they'd shut down (L) service into Manhattan, they'd run the (M) shuttle up to 57th Street on the (F). When the SAS opens, maybe they can extend them a bit farther up?

I wonder what the (MTA) is doing to the cross over tracks on the tracks north of 96th Street. Right now there's a 10MPH slow speed order for the (2) & (3) in both directions (Brooklyn-bound approaching & uptown-bound departing).

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Disregard this, I've figured it out myself. They are doing track replacement. 

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated

random question what is the headway with A trains divided between far rock and lefferts?

The headway they advertise is between 207 St and Rockaway Blvd. For points south, it's double what it is. For every Lefferts train, there's a Far Rockaway train. So if they advertising 6 minutes during the rush, it's 12 minutes south of Rockaway Blvd for each branch.

Overnights, it's still 20 mins for both branches as a shuttle takes over the Lefferts end and all regular trains go to Far Rockaway.

Just a random thought about the subway map: do you think they will release a November 2016 edition showing the (W) and (Q) to 57th and then a December 2016 edition showing the (Q) to 96th, or just one December 2016 edition? And if they do make a November 2016 edition, do you think they would show somehow, that 2nd Avenue is under construction (such as a faded line or a dashed line)?

Just a random thought about the subway map: do you think they will release a November 2016 edition showing the (W) and (Q) to 57th and then a December 2016 edition showing the (Q) to 96th, or just one December 2016 edition? And if they do make a November 2016 edition, do you think they would show somehow, that 2nd Avenue is under construction (such as a faded line or a dashed line)?

I feel that there will be a late 2016 map that will show that the (Q) extension will open by December 2016.

I could see them going either way. With the reported delays possibly holding back the opening of the line, they may release a map update that only shows the truncation of the (Q) and the restoration of the (W) local service. However, they could include the extension to 96 Street as a dashed line with the caption "opening soon", just in case they miss the December deadline.

I could see them going either way. With the reported delays possibly holding back the opening of the line, they may release a map update that only shows the truncation of the (Q) and the restoration of the (W) local service. However, they could include the extension to 96 Street as a dashed line with the caption "opening soon", just in case they miss the December deadline.

I would not advise that...New Yorkers have a reading problem...