SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of curiosity, are there fire extinguishers on subway cars? I rode NJ Transit a few days ago and noticed that there were fire extinguishers available throughout the train, and wondered if the same is true on NYCT.  

nope, not one on subway cars, only the emergency brake

No, the signs on the (N) have been Sea Beach Express ever since the beginning; as to why it's like that is probably to save slides.

(N) Broadway-Sea Beach Express

(Q) Broadway-Brighton Express

(T) Broadway-West End Express

(R) Broadway-Fourth Avenue Local

Actually Lance clarified in an earlier post, Sorry I'm late to the convo but the trains were numbered before the letters were introduced. The letters represent(ed) the BMT names. Only the (Q) ran express for the whole route from 57th-7th to Brighton Beach, the (N) was express from 57th St-7th to 59th St-4th Avenue while the (T) was a Broadway Express from Astoria to 36th St-4th Avenue rush hours only. After the (N) and (T) diverged from 4th Avenue they ran local to Coney Island for the most part. Only my beloved (NX) ran express to Coney Island and on to Brighton Beach. This was from 1964 or so before the Manhattan Bridge 6th Avenue connection in 1967 while (NX) was a post Chrystie connection route. Hope this helps somewhat. IIRC we were taught in schoolcar that the "express" designation for these particular lines was in reference to the Manhattan portion of the route.This only pertained to the BMT Southern Division and not the Eastern Division trains. Carry on.

To be fair, Nassau Street Express means express between Myrtle and Marcy, now that Nassau was reconfigured from 4 tracks to 2. The "express zone" used to be from Myrtle to Canal, skipping Bowery.

Eh, I guess they can't really call the (M) the Broadway Local and the (J)(Z) the Broadway Express. And calling the (M) the Jamaica Local might make people think it actually goes to Jamaica.

Eh, I guess they can't really call the (M) the Broadway Local and the (J)(Z) the Broadway Express. And calling the (M) the Jamaica Local might make people think it actually goes to Jamaica.

They can't call those lines Broadway lines as it will confuse riders who think the train will be running up Broadway in Manhattan. As for labeling the (M) as the Jamaica Local, that was done in 2010 on the 160s, but as you might guess, some riders thought the trains were running to Jamaica Center, hence the change to Myrtle Ave Local.

Much like the Sea Beach and West End lines, trains that ran express on the #10 and later the  :M: lines were designated as Myrtle Ave Express trains, despite running local on Myrtle Ave proper. It's another BMT holdover.

See a lot of the trunk line street names are what confuse people. I still don't know why the (N) is called Sea Beach Express (before the closure of the platforms happened).

The current Sea Beach line was named as such because it mirrored the original New York and Sea Beach Railroad, which was organized in the late 19th century. The name came about as it was one of the railroad lines that ran to the beaches at Coney Island and more importantly, the Sea Beach Palace there.

The Sea Beach doesn't run along a single street. It would have to be called the 62nd & West 7th Streets Line or something of the sort.

That isn't the issue. The problem is that it's been called the Sea Beach line for so long, changing it now will just add to the confusion, rather than lessen it.

Edited by Lance

In addition to what was mentioned above, I think the reason why the (N) and (D) trains don't say "4 Ave Local/Express" is for a couple more reasons:

1) The 4th Avenue Line has multiple routes that branch off of it and...

2) These branches make up a substantial part of their respective lines' routes in Brooklyn and are more or less these lines' namesakes.

Therefore, if I get on a southbound express train at Atlantic-Barclays, I know it's express on 4 Av, what I need to know is will it take me to the West End Line or the Sea Beach Line. Since I have a limited number of destination signage slots for each code, it's best I be as concise as possible.

Now, going the other way to Manhattan, I think they kept the same designations so as not to confuse people. I usually know that a Sea Beach Local will run local on the 4 Avenue line, because that is where (by normal daily service definition) I have my local/express options.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Edited by SmallParkShuttle

Its just a tweet, but apparently while unveiling the new automatic tolling plan at all MTA bridges and tunnels, Cuomo dropped a bombshell that the State is about to announce funding for Gateway and possibly the 2nd Avenue Subway.

(Once again, this is just one tweet and I haven't seen video of him saying this or any mention of it on his website)

That isn't the issue. The problem is that it's been called the Sea Beach line for so long, changing it now will just add to the confusion, rather than lessen it.

I grew up in Brooklyn many years ago and I've had a bus/train pass for half of my life. Been riding trains alone since I was 10 years old. I've seen the changes over the years in both divisions but there is an easy way to distinguish any train, especially in the outer boroughs. Brighton, Sea Beach, Fourth Avenue, Dyre, Fulton, Broadway-Brooklyn,Jamaica, whatever. Each one of those names determine a train's routing to it's destination. Think about the BMT and IRT history. Go to subway.org and look at the historical maps. The BMT was a numbered division while the IRT used names for it's routes. It seems that today's riders, or fans, are fixated on letters or numbers. Those letters or numbers may have been used for most of your lives but to a person like me, a history buff and former employee, they don't mean much. You know and a few other posters know what I mean. Think (D) Concourse-Culver, (2) Dyre-New Lots, or (3) Lenox-Flatbush, or (M) Myrtle-Chambers for example. The letters or numbers may change, the routings may change to some degree, but the trunk stays the same where I come from. That rush hour (A) Fulton Express to Far Rockaway was, for a time, the (E) Fulton Express to Far Rockaway. The letter changed but it was still the Fulton Express to Far Rockaway, Far Rock being the most important part of the signage. IIRC the (F) was called the 6th Avenue Express when it ran from Queens to Manhattan 34th St or 2nd Avenue but it never ran express on 6th Avenue. It ran express on Queens Blvd. Hope I haven't screwed up my explanation. Carry on.

The headway they advertise is between 207 St and Rockaway Blvd. For points south, it's double what it is. For every Lefferts train, there's a Far Rockaway train. So if they advertising 6 minutes during the rush, it's 12 minutes south of Rockaway Blvd for each branch.

Overnights, it's still 20 mins for both branches as a shuttle takes over the Lefferts end and all regular trains go to Far Rockaway.

so say they decided to extend the (C) train using current levels to eliminate the 2 branch logic(example using the cta keeping the blue line between forest park and ohare elimnating it off the douglas branch giving it to the pink line)  and just have the (A) go to far rock how could the headways work outside of Rockaway blvd 

Edited by BreeddekalbL

so say they decided to extend the (C) train using current levels to eliminate the 2 branch logic(example using the cta keeping the blue line between forest park and ohare elimnating it off the douglas branch giving it to the pink line)  and just have the (A) go to far rock how could the headways work outside of Rockaway blvd 

IIRC, They'd keep the same headways and turn alternate (A) trains at JFK/Howard Beach

I wonder if the strip maps on the 142As on the (6) line are going to replaced since the W is going to be added

They probably will just remove the old sticker that they put back in 2010 to cover the (W). The (4) is a different story tho because they received new strip maps sometime this year, so they need to add a (W) sticker.

Instead of the IND taking over the Culver Line, would it have made sense to keep the Culver Line in the BMT, and send the IND from Church Ave or Fort Hamilton Parkway stations to Flatbush Ave (somehow, via Church Ave, Parkside, whatever) and down toward Ave U, or across Linden Blvd/Church Ave and down Utica?

Instead of the IND taking over the Culver Line, would it have made sense to keep the Culver Line in the BMT, and send the IND from Church Ave or Fort Hamilton Parkway stations to Flatbush Ave (somehow, via Church Ave, Parkside, whatever) and down toward Ave U, or across Linden Blvd/Church Ave and down Utica?

They wanted to relieve congestion at DeKalb Avenue Junction.