SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Another thing, the (W) program now lists its self as "VIA ASTORIA" like the (Q) used to do pre-2010. That's strange. I never got the chance to hear the announcements of it in Queens, but my guess is that it would go like "This is an Astoria-Ditmars Blvd bound  (W) train via the (N) line."

Could the MTA be more redundant? The only way to get to Astoria is via Astoria. And it so happens that is via the (N) “line” too since all trains to/from Astoria must do so using the 60 Street Tunnel and Broadway. If the (W) train is Astoria-bound, it doesn’t need to mention “via Astoria” or “via the (N).”

Edited by CenSin

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realized that. The (G) has to be the only line that never really got the chance to use R160's, because its program is so out of date.

Another thing, the (W) program now lists its self as "VIA ASTORIA" like the (Q) used to do pre-2010. That's strange. I never got the chance to hear the announcements of it in Queens, but my guess is that it would go like "This is an Astoria-Ditmars Blvd bound  (W) train via the (N) line." One more thing, the (W) now lists itself as "VIA SEA BEACH LCL" when it's started from Kings Highway. I don't know why it was changed, but my guess is that they did it before the Sea Beac rehab happened

Do you have proof that they changed it?

Another thing, the (W) program now lists its self as "VIA ASTORIA" like the (Q) used to do pre-2010. That's strange. I never got the chance to hear the announcements of it in Queens, but my guess is that it would go like "This is an Astoria-Ditmars Blvd bound  (W) train via the (N) line." One more thing, the (W) now lists itself as "VIA SEA BEACH LCL" when it's started from Kings Highway. I don't know why it was changed, but my guess is that they did it before the Sea Beac rehab happened

Where'd you find this out? That's just bizarre...

Where'd you find this out? That's just bizarre...

Well when the whole "conquestor" thing was happening, I was coming from Jamaica when I noticed a R160 (W) train at Parsons Blvd (Code Break of course). I got off and read the exterior signs and that's when I noticed.

Well when the whole "conquestor" thing was happening, I was coming from Jamaica when I noticed a R160 (W) train at Parsons Blvd (Code Break of course). I got off and read the exterior signs and that's when I noticed.

Picture? I'm sorry I really don't believe you in this one because it doesn't make sense at all and why post it now if the "conquestor" thing was last year and 2014?

Edited by Daniel The Cool

Picture? I'm sorry I really don't believe you in this one because it doesn't make sense at all and why post it now if the "conquestor" thing was last year and 2014?

That actually sounds plausible. Until recently, we haven't had a big discussion on the forums about R160 signage, and now that the topic has come up, he mentioned it.

EDIT: He also said: "I never got the chance to hear the announcements of it in Queens"

Edited by Around the Horn

I didn't think you guys would actually be interested, and btw, not everyone is going to have a chance at taking a picture of something. I, being the idiot I already am, forgot my charger that day and my phone died right as I was at the turnstile at 179th. Keep your eye out for the layups at Parsons, maybe a T/O on here or somewhere else will leave it signed up as a (W).

That actually sounds plausible. Until recently, we haven't had a big discussion on the forums about R160 signage, and now that the topic has come up, he mentioned it.

EDIT: He also said: "I never got the chance to hear the announcements of it in Queens"

Maybe but don't get your hopes up too much. The last I saw before the budget cuts the (W) had Broadway Lcl and Astoria Lcl, not via Astoria.

I recently saw a R160 on layup at Astoria Blvd, which was signed up as a (W) to Canal Street. The sign says:

(W) Astoria LCL

(W) Broadway LCL

(W) Canal St

I think the (W) codes were updated with every AAS update, since there was always the possibility of the line returning.

Anyone know if there is a (M) to Forest Hills-71 program from Canarsie?

Yes, there is:

(M)|FOREST HILLS-71

(M)|CANARSIE LCL

(M)|6 AV LCL/53 ST

If I'm not mistaken, the (M) has a lot of reroute options in the automated announcement system, including destinations for Broadway Junction (via Jamaica), Canarsie, Jamaica Center (both levels) and 179 Street.

To respond to the question of whether the (W) via the (N) recording exists or at least did so at some point, yes it does/did. One of MrRailFan's videos on YouTube has such a recording. At some point following the discontinuation of (W) service, the destination recording was changed to "via the (N) line" for all the relevant announcements. No, I don't know why it was changed; it could've been a test of the software, or it could've simply been a coder error with that particular announcement used on the wrong end of the line. Instead of being used at Coney Island through Court St, where it would make more sense, it was coded for the northern end of the line. Of course, this is all speculation. It's not surprising the announcements have since been changed to the "correct" versions.

@MTA Bus, hmm. The last time I saw it it was signed up as a (W) to Astoria, maybe that's why, I don't know.

@Lance, I knew I heard that announcment somewhere. Your right. It was either a coding error or they left it like that in case of an emergency (like if another hurricane happened and destroyed the switch in Astoria or something) they could bring it back temporarily.

To add on to the (M) craziness, the reason why those reroutes exist is because when they merged the (M) and the (V) programs, that opened up a can of worms in terms of reroutes. Oddly enough, the (V) no longer says "This is a Middle Village bound (V) train via the (M) line." It now says "This is a Metropolitan Av bound (V) local train." Which proves my point.

Exactly. They wouldn't have rerouted an in service (L) to Nassau just like that.

Now regarding the (G) programs, it's odd that's the only line other then the (V) that hasn't been updated since 2010. The crazy reroutes (that I like to call it, i.e the D to Far Rockaway) have all the updated transfers and what not. The (V) on the other hand does still have the updated transfers from 2015 and so forth, but the TV screen still lists it as the 6 Av Local and Queens Blvd Local. It's also odd that in Queens you see the (M) transfer as well on Queens Blvd lol.

Going back to this Transfers are done separately via clock so they are alwasy up to date. That's why at at night you get different Xfer announcements, it's not a special night program, its just the transfers that are available during night @ specific station. 

I know. I asked one of my T/O freinds if he could do me a favor and set his train to a (V) when he goes on a deadhead from Forest Hills to Parsons, and he said he would so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

But, me knowing the programs on the 160, the announcments are probably going to include the (M) along QBL.

Wasn't the 2010 service change plan to eliminate the (M) and put the (V) in its place at first?

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I believe that was going to be in 2008 and then got pushed back to 2010, when they decided to keep the (M) designation.

did they delete the V train program?

No its still there.

I believe that was going to be in 2008 and then got pushed back to 2010, when they decided to keep the (M) designation.

No its still there.

The (M) and (V) merge wasn't thought of in 2008. The original cuts was supposed to be eliminating the (W) and (Z) . The Brown (M) was originally supposed to have Weekend service extended to Chambers Street beginning in Late 2009 but that ended up getting canceled

The (M) and (V) merge wasn't thought of in 2008. The original cuts was supposed to be eliminating the (W) and (Z) . The Brown (M) was originally supposed to have Weekend service extended to Chambers Street beginning in Late 2009 but that ended up getting canceled

Ah okay, thanks for correcting me.

But there was a point when they considered cutting the (M) and extending the (V) , right?

Going back to this Transfers are done separately via clock so they are alwasy up to date. That's why at at night you get different Xfer announcements, it's not a special night program, its just the transfers that are available during night @ specific station. 

A slight correction: the conductor/operator can also manually choose the time of day/day of the week when selecting a route. That's why you'll sometimes hear late night transfers on a rush hour train despite the clocks showing the correct time. Also, some routes do not have any transfers depending on time of day. For instance, pulling up the (5) from Dyre Av to anywhere besides E 180 Street will yield no transfers except to the (2) at E 180 Street. Whoever handled the coding figured such would be a waste since the (5) doesn't usually run beyond the shuttle service during the overnight hours.

Wasn't the 2010 service change plan to eliminate the (M) and put the (V) in its place at first?

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Yes. Riders along the (M) line fought for the retention over the conversion to (V) service. The designation for the (M) has been around officially since 1967 while the (V) was introduced in 2001. These people felt there was more history behind the (M) designation.

did they delete the V train program?

Neither the (V) nor (W) route options were deleted from the automated announcement system. Unlike the 142s with their limited computer space, the 160s were not starving for space and did not need a data dump. At least I hope they have more storage space, what with them being five years younger than the 142s.