SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Trust me, there hasn't been any data dumping so far in the last 4 years. The only thing that was modified was the (V) to Canarsie Program, and what changed in that is that now that route can only be selected coming from Essex St or Chambers. 

And there has also been the addition of the (E) to 168th St program as well.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trust me, there hasn't been any data dumping so far in the last 4 years. The only thing that was modified was the (V) to Canarsie Program, and what changed in that is that now that route can only be selected coming from Essex St or Chambers.

And there has also been the addition of the (E) to 168th St program as well.

There is no (E).to 168 program. You said that a few months ago and it ended up being false.

Trust me

:lol:

A rule of thumb that I find helpful is that when somebody refers to oneself as trustworthy, you should not trust them. Trust is built on a track record of honesty and correct outcomes.

I’m not suggesting any accusations though since I know very little about things other than the track map, but you could do yourself a favor by omitting “trust me.” The mere inclusion of those words smells of intellectual dishonesty (examples: you weren’t sure; you didn’t pursue the truth and passed off what you imagined; or you gave something based purely off of personal beliefs rather than objective facts).

I apply this rule to websites as well, especially those with the words authority, honest, or trustworthy in their names. A website with a good reputation does not need to announce it in their names. There are exceptions though.

Edited by CenSin

There is no (E).to 168 program. You said that a few months ago and it ended up being false.

It still wasn't installed in the update yet. Now, if my T/O freind is telling the truth, they received or will recieve the (E) to 168th program in the next month or so. It is on the TA computers.

A rule of thumb that I find helpful is that when somebody refers to oneself as trustworthy, you should not trust them. Trust is built on a track record of honesty and correct outcomes.

I’m not suggesting any accusations though since I know very little about things other than the track map, but you could do yourself a favor by omitting “trust me.” The mere inclusion of those words smells of intellectual dishonesty (examples: you weren’t sure; you didn’t pursue the truth and passed off what you imagined; or you gave something based purely off of personal beliefs rather than objective facts).

I apply this rule to websites as well, especially those with the words authority, honest, or trustworthy in their names. A website with a good reputation does not need to announce it in their names. There are exceptions though.

Of course, the easiest way to make people believe you're telling the truth is to actually provide proof of your claims. Then again, what do I know?

To quote a popular television show,

Any man who must say "I am the King" is no true King.

I never said it can't be created...

Right:

Just like there can be an (E) to Far Rockaway or Rockaway Park program for instance, or for example an (E) 8th Avenue Express to either of those locations (most people today would not remember the (E) at one time actually was an 8th Avenue Express to the Rockaways). 

Just a note: 11/7/16: All (Q) trains north from Stillwell Av, the last stop is 57 St-7 Av (regular terminal before the service cuts of 2010). 11/4/16 at 11:01PM is the last (Q) from Astoria. 

It'll head back to Ditmars on occasion (G/O). 

Edited by CH3348

what is the likelihood of another service being brought onto the fourth ave and west end locals terminating at bay parkway (like the brown (M) )?

I figure the brown (M) won't be brought back since it's useful for the JMZ to have a direct link to midtown, but the (D) and (R) (and (N) ) get awfully crowded in both the AM and PM rush.

I was thinking that in a pinch, the MTA could run rush hour extensions of the (W) to Bay Parkway and 95 St.

Edited by YungMarxian

what is the likelihood of another service being brought onto the fourth ave and west end locals terminating at bay parkway (like the brown (M) )?

I figure the brown (M) won't be brought back since it's useful for the JMZ to have a direct link to midtown, but the (D) and (R) (and (N) ) get awfully crowded in both the AM and PM rush.

I was thinking that in a pinch, the MTA could run rush hour extensions of the (W) to Bay Parkway and 95 St.

This has been said before, and the reason why is because we don't have enough cars to supplement that extra service. The only (W)'s that go out to Brooklyn are the put ins and dropouts at 86th St/Gravesend on Sea Beach.

This has been said before, and the reason why is because we don't have enough cars to supplement that extra service. The only (W)'s that go out to Brooklyn are the put ins and dropouts at 86th St/Gravesend on Sea Beach.

Ahh. I wonder if any of the 32s, 32As, 42s, or 44s (and 46s if they get replaced by the R179 and R211 orders) will be retained for supplemental services that some of these lines so desperately need during rush hour.

Ahh. I wonder if any of the 32s, 32As, 42s, or 44s (and 46s if they get replaced by the R179 and R211 orders) will be retained for supplemental services that some of these lines so desperately need during rush hour.

All those will be replaced by the r179 and r211 orders. All r42s and the worst of the r32s will be replaced by the r179s. the r211s will finish off the r32 and replace the r46s.

Just did some research.

"Some remaining R32s are planned to be replaced by the R179s as well, but the rest are planned to be retained due to delays in the delivery of the R179s and potential need of extra rolling stock to provide additional service."

Source: http://www.mta.info/news-c-subway/2015/12/11/detailed-study-system%E2%80%99s-longest-subway-line-identifies-opportunities

A really long while back I saw an OOS IRT train roll thru the s/b 4 Av express track at Pacific. It was later in the evening but still daytime service. Any clue how or why it got there?

Wherever it originated from, it found its way to Jerome/Mosholu yard. From there, it goes to Concourse yard (the yards are connected), then follows the (D) down to Coney Island.

are the r160's planned to stay on the C train until the R179's come in? Then will the R160's return to the J/Z?

For now, the 8600 and 9900 4-car sets are staying put at 207

and about the R179s: Possibly, too early to predict tho

Edited by CH3348

Which makes me wonder… since the (B) has to go through all the (Q) stops to Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue before heading to the yard, why are they cleared out at Brighton Beach? It’s not a very customer-friendly protocol, especially when the (B) is the first train to run down the Brighton Line after massive delays. The (B) trains that are turning back to Manhattan, are—of course—not going to make a detour to Coney Island, but the ones that are headed for the yard should stay in service until Coney Island so folks don’t have to wait for the (Q).

A slight correction: the conductor/operator can also manually choose the time of day/day of the week when selecting a route. That's why you'll sometimes hear late night transfers on a rush hour train despite the clocks showing the correct time. Also, some routes do not have any transfers depending on time of day. For instance, pulling up the (5) from Dyre Av to anywhere besides E 180 Street will yield no transfers except to the (2) at E 180 Street. Whoever handled the coding figured such would be a waste since the (5) doesn't usually run beyond the shuttle service during the overnight hours.

Wait, are you saying that a (5) to Bowling Green or Flatbush Avenue wouldn't list any other transfers besides the (2) (e.g. the (7) at Grand Central)? I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Which makes me wonder… since the (B) has to go through all the (Q) stops to Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue before heading to the yard, why are they cleared out at Brighton Beach? It’s not a very customer-friendly protocol, especially when the (B) is the first train to run down the Brighton Line after massive delays. The (B) trains that are turning back to Manhattan, are—of course—not going to make a detour to Coney Island, but the ones that are headed for the yard should stay in service until Coney Island so folks don’t have to wait for the (Q).

Agreed.

Wait, are you saying that a (5) to Bowling Green or Flatbush Avenue wouldn't list any other transfers besides the (2) (e.g. the (7) at Grand Central)? I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Correct.

For example, when the (5) goes to Brooklyn late nights to replace the (2) (obviously during G.Os), the last time you would hear the transfer announcement is at E. 180 St since that's where it normally ends. The other announcements were never programmed in since it usually doesn't go that far.

Another example, the old Nassau (M). When they extended it to Broad St before the shuttle kicked in, the last transfer point listed was Myrtle Av.