SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Which makes me wonder… since the (B) has to go through all the (Q) stops to Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue before heading to the yard, why are they cleared out at Brighton Beach? It’s not a very customer-friendly protocol, especially when the (B) is the first train to run down the Brighton Line after massive delays. The (B) trains that are turning back to Manhattan, are—of course—not going to make a detour to Coney Island, but the ones that are headed for the yard should stay in service until Coney Island so folks don’t have to wait for the (Q).

The C/R's probably don't stay on trains that lay up at CI Yard. 

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The C/R's probably don't stay on trains that lay up at CI Yard.

Coney Island dosent have enough capacity for a extra line.

However, in terms of reroutes, (B)'s via West End normally go all the way down to Coney ISLAND in order to get to the yard.

Coney Island dosent have enough capacity for a extra line.

However, in terms of reroutes, (B)'s via West End normally go all the way down to Coney ISLAND in order to get to the yard.

You missed the point completely. These (B) trains I want to stay in service are already running to Coney Island to access the yard. Currently, they pass through all of the (Q) platforms with the doors closed, without passengers.

Wait, are you saying that a (5) to Bowling Green or Flatbush Avenue wouldn't list any other transfers besides the (2) (e.g. the (7) at Grand Central)? I'm not understanding what you're saying.

Fresh Pond/Turtle explained it best.

Which makes me wonder… since the (B) has to go through all the (Q) stops to Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue before heading to the yard, why are they cleared out at Brighton Beach? It’s not a very customer-friendly protocol, especially when the (B) is the first train to run down the Brighton Line after massive delays. The (B) trains that are turning back to Manhattan, are—of course—not going to make a detour to Coney Island, but the ones that are headed for the yard should stay in service until Coney Island so folks don’t have to wait for the (Q).

The problem with that is riders generally don't know which trains are running to the yard and which ones are returning to Manhattan. Advertising those Coney Island (B) runs would make customers believe that all (B) trains are running to Coney Island. It'd be even more confusing since the (B) does not operate trains with electronic signage, so riders would not readily know if they're on a Brighton Beach train or one extended to Coney Island.

The problem with that is riders generally don't know which trains are running to the yard and which ones are returning to Manhattan. Advertising those Coney Island (B) runs would make customers believe that all  (B) trains are running to Coney Island. It'd be even more confusing since the (B) does not operate trains with electronic signage, so riders would not readily know if they're on a Brighton Beach train or one extended to Coney Island.

Then if the sign problem were eliminated with new trains, there should be no other impediment. Pretty much every route has its quirks, and I don’t see how extending a line is any different than truncating it or sending it to another branch. It’s quite common. It would be less disappointing to have a train be surprise-extended a few more stops (where it would be going anyway) than to have a train drop out of service in the middle (like the (F) at Kings Highway) and have people wait for the next one; the former is not a disservice like the latter.

Different Branch

• (2)(5) to/from Utica Avenue or New Lots Avenue
  • (5) to/from Gun Hill Road or Nereid Avenue
  • (A) to/from Ozone Park–Lefferts Boulevard or Far Rockaway–Mott Avenue or Rockaway Park–Beach 116 Street
  • (D) to/from 2 Avenue
  • (E) to/from Jamaica–179 Street
  • (N) to/from 96 Street
Truncation
  • (4) to/from Burnside Avenue
  • (6) to/from 3 Avenue–138 Street
  • (F) to/from Kings Highway
  • (7) to/from Mets–Willets Point or 111 Street
  • (J)​/​ (Z) to/from Broadway Junction
  • (W) to/from Canal Street
Extension
  • (W) to/from 86 Street
Is an occasional deviant (B) really that confusing? I disagree. There’s plenty of precedent to be found in how the MTA operates its other routes. Edited by CenSin

If Phase 4 becomes complete in our lifetime, I hope that the Grand Street station gets rebuilt into a 4 track station with 2 island platforms and not be built a bi-level station.

They were planning on that, but changed it as building phase 4 as cut-and-cover would necessitate tearing up Sara D. Roosevelt Park in Chinatown..

The last 5 (B) trains in the evening can also be extended to the Bronx in service instead of dead heading. There are also two midday (B) trips that could also be extended to the Bronx from 145 St. Trains leave 145 St at 9:25, 9:35, 9:45, 9:55, 10:05, 10:15, 10:25, 10:35 going back to Brooklyn. Trains are scheduled to terminate at 145 at 9:20, 9:27, 9:32, 9:39, 9:49, 9:57, 10:05, 10:11, 10:19, 10:29. Two of those trains could also stay in service past 145 since they are not going back to Brooklyn.

Edited by GreatOne2k

Since when did the R32 run on the (A) during the AM rush. Was just waiting at Fulton St and I saw the R32 go on the 10 train marker. If I did not look at the rollsigns as I boarded, I would have never noticed.

That R32 usually has its own interval, but if needed, it'll run at any time. Once it ran overnight.

Any reason I saw an (F) signed to Church Ave in Queens around 7pm?

Sounds like everything is normal. Those (F) trains turn at Church Avenue to prevent delaying (F) trains behind. If you take the (F) during rush hours, you’ll find that many times Coney Island-bound (F) trains are crawling from Avenue P to Avenue X due to Kings Highway-bound (F) trains using the yard leads to turn back to Manhattan. The turning back of Kings Highway-bound (F) trains is very delay-prone. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that they were also turning trains at 2 Avenue just to avoid clearing out trains on through-service tracks at Church Avenue and Kings Highway.

Edited by CenSin

Sounds like everything is normal. Those (F) trains turn at Church Avenue to prevent delaying (F) trains behind. If you take the (F) during rush hours, you’ll find that many times Coney Island-bound (F) trains are crawling from Avenue P to Avenue X due to Kings Highway-bound (F) trains using the yard leads to turn back to Manhattan. The turning back of Kings Highway-bound (F) trains is very delay-prone. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that they were also turning trains at 2 Avenue just to avoid clearing out trains on through-service tracks at Church Avenue and Kings Highway.

Huh. I havent seen any 2nd Ave signed Fs yet. But then again not many signed Church either. Do they actually spin any Kings Hwy Fs on the mainline? I never venture into Brooklyn

Huh. I havent seen any 2nd Ave signed Fs yet. But then again not many signed Church either. Do they actually spin any Kings Hwy Fs on the mainline? I never venture into Brooklyn

They used to turn them back on the middle track at Kings Hwy, but since that rehab has southbound trains using the middle track as a through track, the Kings Hwy trains have to run light to the yard leads by Avenue X to turn around.

Maybe Kings Highway Bound (F) should use Express tracks between Jay St to Church Av and vice versa. Then Coney Island Bound (F) would use Local tracks. (G) Local Tracks Bergen and Church.

Maybe to relieve congestion at Flushing–Main Street, <7> trains should be turned at Mets–Willets Point while (7) trains continue to Flushing–Main Street.

/s