SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This GO's been going on like 48 of the last 52 weeks and 3.5 of the last 4 years. Basically if there's any work involving the Pelham line between 10 and 3, you'll see this service pattern in place.

This service pattern is low hanging fruit that can probably be made permanent if the (MTA) has another budget crisis.

This mess has gone on for so long I believe that sentence of yours. MTA is looking for way to make the <6> rush hour only without providing 4 minute midday headways for the Pelham local stops.

How is it even possible for the digital signs to play the same characters as the interior? Also, what does the 001 mean?

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I think 001 is the route code for the (5) to Dyre that the T/O's punch in to the R142 computers. Now for some odd reason, this sign was saying "THE NEXT STOP IS" "WALL ST" "00:00" "001DYRE".

They were planning on that, but changed it as building phase 4 as cut-and-cover would necessitate tearing up Sara D. Roosevelt Park in Chinatown..

The park can be rebuilt. I doubt that was the main issue.

Pehaps by the time they get to Phase 4 that attitude can change, especially if they can build a temporary park to replace it while the main park is used as a staging ground to do the necessary work to make Grand Street a four-track, two-platform line (that probably in retrospect should have that work done when the line was originally built in the 1960s). 

Pehaps by the time they get to Phase 4 that attitude can change, especially if they can build a temporary park to replace it while the main park is used as a staging ground to do the necessary work to make Grand Street a four-track, two-platform line (that probably in retrospect should have that work done when the line was originally built in the 1960s). 

Some of those tracks are going to be under buildings. They could also avoid digging under buildings be shifting the whole thing over towards the park; build an additional 2 tracks next to the uptown platform and another side platform under the park. It would resemble 34 Street–Penn Station ((A)(C)(E)). They could also do a variety of other configurations which have their own advantages and drawbacks.

But the one thing that is a necessity for cross-platform transfers without taking the 6 Avenue express out of service during construction is to build under buildings and under the western edge of the park.

Whoop there it is! Thanks. Was an interesting read.

Another question... why are there so many sealed cross-unders/overs in the system?

Edited by YungMarxian

Whoop there it is! Thanks. Was an interesting read.

Another question... why are there so many sealed cross-unders/overs in the system?

Crime, maintenance costs, homeless people, need for more storage space, etc.

If the MTA had no reason to keep it open, closing it was desirable. I’ll bet all that space that took away at Jay Street–MetroTech (IND mezzanine) is now for storage/employees.

I believe this was a topic of discussion by many members, but it's not really needed.

Difference in opinion, but there are technical hurdles to building it anyway. The transfer won’t be as important once 2 Avenue is fully built and extended into the Bronx with Queens service using the line as well. The 2 Avenue Line would be faster than the (6) and provide better transfers to the (B), (D), and (F) that the (4) and (5) doesn’t have in Manhattan.

It doesn't happen often. There were problems on the 53rd Street line.

These problems may have propagated to the (F) as well since I waited 15 minutes for one at Broadway–Lafayette Street. I peered down the tunnel and there was an (M) train at 2 Avenue on the southbound express track doing its (V) thing and turning back towards Queens. Separately, there was an incident at Grand Street that backed up 6 Avenue express trains too. About 5 or 6 (B) and (D) trains came in succession before the (F).

These problems may have propagated to the (F) as well since I waited 15 minutes for one at Broadway–Lafayette Street. I peered down the tunnel and there was an (M) train at 2 Avenue on the southbound express track doing its (V) thing and turning back towards Queens. Separately, there was an incident at Grand Street that backed up 6 Avenue express trains too. About 5 or 6 (B) and (D) trains came in succession before the (F).

What time was this? I saw the (M) train at B'way and caught a thankfully not delayed (D) train home.

Just saw an (M) resigned to terminate at 2 Av (this happened at B'Way Lafayette). Is this often or was it probably a quick fix to turn around an (M) ?

It doesn't happen often. There were problems on the 53rd Street line.

What time was this? I saw the (M) train at B'way and caught a thankfully not delayed (D) train home.

Combination of a sick passenger on a D at Grand St and a maintenance issue in the 53rd St tube.

The signs along the (R) in Brooklyn were updated last night to show that late night service is extended to Whitehall St. No word on if the signs in  Manhattan telling people to "take (N) to 36 St for (R) " have been updated yet. None of the service songs have been updated for the (N) express or the (W).

I have pics up on the Facebook groups if you are interested.

Edited by Around the Horn