SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow! There's just one thing that really bugs me... The (MTA) never mentioned anything about the (W) to/from 86th street on their announcements. I guess it's because there are few (W) trains there.

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Darn it! Union beat me to it!

Anyway here are the times for the (W) trains from 86 Street: 6:25, 6:43 and 6:51. They get to 59 Street at 6:41, 6:59 and 7:07.

The one (W) train to 86 Street in the evening, stops at 34th Street-Herald Sq at 8:41, 14th Street-Union Sq at 8:45, Cortlandt Street-WTC at 8:54 and Whitehall St at 8:58.

Does anybody know what the point of the "walk thru train" sign reading on the R46's meant?

Occasionally the trains would be used as a platform bridge to get from one platform to another without having to climb up and down stairs to get there.

He same reason they have "Long Island RR" and "Metro North RR" codes...unknown reasons

Actually, there is a reason. They'd be used in the hypothetical situation where NYCT would operate subway shuttles for Metro-North/LIRR service, likely on the (D) and (E) lines respectively. The addition of those codes probably stem from the Amtrak strike that nearly happened a few decades ago, which would've cut off LIRR access to Penn Station.

Strange that a four-track line like Fulton only saw rush-hour express service for so many years; talk about underutilization.  A three-track line I could understand, but four is a different story...

Something something politics. It's obvious that Transit didn't feel that Fulton St riders deserved express service beyond rush hours.

Odd question;

If the R211's are to replace the remaining R44's and R46's in the subway system, then does that mean that all the following lines will receive new techs?

IND Rockaway Shuttle S

SIRR

8 Av A

6 Av F

Broadway R

More than likely. The Staten Island Railway will definitely get new trains as they need special components to run out there. The others will likely get them as NTTs are a prerequisite for CBTC operation, which is planned to be installed on Queens Blvd and 8th Avenue. The Rockaway Park shuttle uses whatever the (A) uses, so there's your answer for that.

In what scenario would the M be split into the M and V again?

None. As others jokingly mentioned, the person in charge would have to be a moron to try to convert one beneficial route into two inefficient, dead-ending ones.

Is it true that all lines with colored S bullets, namely the :75px-NYCS-bull-trans-S6_svg:, were always intended to be temporary due to some construction issue (the rebuilding of a bridge or renovation of a tunnel, for instance)? Only the black/grey S lines seem to stick around indefinitely. Interestingly, the MTA decided to use the old H designation instead of the during the Sandy recovery period.

Yes, with the exception of the so-called 8th Avenue one. The Broadway shuttle was only created for the suspension of normal service between 57 Street and the 63rd Street line. The 6th Avenue shuttle ran during the Manhattan Bridge north tracks closure, from 57 Street to Grand St during the '86-'88 closure and from 21 St-Queensbridge to Broadway-Lafayette St in 2001. The 8th Avenue shuttle was a map-only designation of the Rockaway Park shuttle. It stemmed from the 1992 service changes, which moved the full-time terminal of the (A) line from Lefferts Blvd to Far Rockaway and ceased operation of the (H) round-robin shuttle. No, I have no idea why that special designation lasted as long as it did. Perhaps because the Rockaway Park shuttle is an off-shoot of the (A)?

Does anyone know why the downtown E at 50 Street, says " transfer is available to the downtown C train", but the uptown E at 50 Street doesn't specify a direction, and instead says " transfer is available to the C train" ?

There's no crossover at 50 Street. On a downtown train, you can't transfer to the uptown (C) or (E) train at 50 Street. On the flip-side, uptown riders have another chance to change trains for Central Park West/Queens service, hence the normal announcement for uptown trains.

Personally, I don't feel that "transfer to the <direction> train" should be there in the first place. It's yet another unnecessary announcement. Currently, these one-directional announcements are at 50 Street as you pointed out, and Briarwood. At either of these stations, you can't make a cross-platform transfer, so this is useless for riders.

Wow! There's just one thing that really bugs me... The MTA never mentioned anything about the W to/from 86th street on their announcements. I guess it's because there are few W trains there.

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

These are limited runs. If these were published in the service restoration press release, riders would assume all (W) trains are running to Gravesend. The idea is to advertise the normal service, not every short-turn or extended run.

Why doesn't the (A) have a second bullet to distinguish between the Far Rockaway and Lefferts Boulevard termini? This is a bit annoying for people like me who often use the former as a (JFK) service; I see an (A) barreling down the tracks but am unsure of its destination until it slows down. Short of restoring the (K) or <C>, I would just make an <A> to signify Far Rockaway, with the (A) indicating Lefferts Boulevard specifically. This would mirror the traditional use of <5> to represent Wakefield – 241st Street and (5) to represent Eastchester – Dyre Avenue (another distinction I wish the (MTA) would revive).

Why doesn't the (A) have a second bullet to distinguish between the Far Rockaway and Lefferts Boulevard termini? This is a bit annoying for people like me who often use the former as a (JFK) service; I see an (A) barreling down the tracks but am unsure of its destination until it slows down. Short of restoring the (K) or <C>, I would just make an <A> to signify Far Rockaway, with the (A) indicating Lefferts Boulevard specifically. This would mirror the traditional use of <5> to represent Wakefield – 241st Street and (5) to represent Eastchester – Dyre Avenue (another distinction I wish the (MTA) would revive).

We've had this discussion many times on the forums already. Basically they all end with the consensus that you wouldn't see the MTA do this because of the rollsign stock on the line. (A) trains frequently interline between the two branches (i.e. Do a trip to/from Far Rockaway, and then at 207, become a train to Lefferts) and with minimal downtime at 207, the rollsigns on the front and rear probably would be incorrect at some point, causing more confusion than before. You wouldn't see a change until at least the R211s are on the line and the R46s are off.

As for the diamond, that is reserved for rush hour express variants only. A diamond (A), wouldn't be following that convention.

Edited by Around the Horn

That would be like saying to have the (E) have an express diamond for when it goes to Jamaica-179th.

If people would check the roll sign they would know where the train is headed.

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:08 PM

Speaking of the 1991 service cuts proposal, this week's rollsign is directly related to this idea.

15034784312_fda1ef3936_o.png

Dated: circa 1992

Printed by: Teleweld

Used on/Intended for: R110B/R131 car class

The R131, otherwise known as the R110Bs were the last cars built to use sign curtains. These curtains in particular, with the exception of small handful for a pilot program on a few R62 sets, are the only ones that included destinations for some routes. Also of note is the inclusion of the orange A. This particular bullet was on the curtain because of a modification to the MTA's 1991 service cuts plan. Instead of sending the Q to 207 St, which drew complaints from riders bemoaning the loss of their legendary A service to Upper Manhattan, the new plan called for sending the A trains down 6th Avenue to Brighton Beach instead. You may also note the Canarsie K, which would've been used as part of a Canarsie skip-stop service.

You may remember last week, I said I wasn't ready to post this sign yet. It wasn't so much because the sign itself wasn't ready, but rather because I wanted to finish a couple of other goodies related to this sign. Though in retrospect, I'm glad I waited to post this curtain because I didn't like how it looked before. For the past few weeks, I've been combing the net looking for information about how service would've run with the '91 cuts plan. Eric B's site was a nice starting point, but details were lacking. After doing some digging, I came across an old SubTalk post from many moons ago, which helped shed some light on this subject. With the service patterns known for all of the affected lines, I was finally able to make the map to illustrate this service. I've posted them in the downloads section of this site, but until they're verified, they'll also be hosted on MediaFire.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/files/file/117-1991-service-capacity-plan-version-1-q-to-207-st/ - Version 1 (Q to 207 St)

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/files/file/118-1991-service-capacity-plan-version-2-a-via-6th-avenue/ - Version 2 (orange A)

Enjoy.

This is what they tested on the R110Bs

r110b_0013.JPG11376625_1072963896061475_322462441_n.jp

newyork3.jpg

See Lance's great work here:

15034784312_fda1ef3936_o.png

I sure hope that Lance will be able to do more at some point.

What's the story behind the grey (K) ?

Also the system used to move the rolls is similar to this roll sign for the WMATA 1k's : http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=163872

If you are a fan of roll signs, check out that thread sometime, lots of cool pictures in that thread!

Edited by Around the Horn

I recently went on a tour of the Brooklyn Public Library and I heard from the curator that there's a rumor that when the IRT was first being built, there were plans for a subway station (Eastern Parkway line) directly connected to the basement floor of the library itself, but the plans never followed through/construction started briefly but stopped. I can't find anything online about this, is there any truth to this rumor?

I recently went on a tour of the Brooklyn Public Library and I heard from the curator that there's a rumor that when the IRT was first being built, there were plans for a subway station (Eastern Parkway line) directly connected to the basement floor of the library itself, but the plans never followed through/construction started briefly but stopped. I can't find anything online about this, is there any truth to this rumor?

I heard something about it from subchat. http://www.subchat.com/readflat.asp?Id=317553There might be some truth to this.

My dad works for the BPL and has worked in Central before. The station shell definitely exists and is used as a storage room for the library.

My dad works for the BPL and has worked in Central before. The station shell definitely exists and is used as a storage room for the library.

Could you possibly ask him to take pictures? If he is able that would be great. Tell him that the devoted New York railfans will be grateful!