SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I recently went on a tour of the Brooklyn Public Library and I heard from the curator that there's a rumor that when the IRT was first being built, there were plans for a subway station (Eastern Parkway line) directly connected to the basement floor of the library itself, but the plans never followed through/construction started briefly but stopped. I can't find anything online about this, is there any truth to this rumor?

There was an exit to the library at the north end of the Eastern Parkway-Brooklyn Museum station that was closed many years ago. If you look at the tiles at that end of the station you can see where the exit was. The exit to the street was removed years ago but I think the mezzanine and maybe a door to the library are still there. I've also heard the rumor but I only remember the old exit to the street but a direct access to the library wouldn't surprise me. To those of us who come from an older generation this stop was more important than the stop called Grand Army Plaza because this stop had access to the Brooklyn Museum and the Grand Army Plaza (main)branch of the Brooklyn Public library. Hope this helps some. Carry on.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the diamond, that is reserved for rush hour express variants only. A diamond (A), wouldn't be following that convention.

The convention is fairly recent. Since you’ll almost never see a diamond other than on the <6> and <7> under the current definitions, it’s an entire class of bullets wasted. In programming parlance, I’d call it an underutilized namespace. I would prefer it be expanded to encompass rush hour variants since currently, one bullet must account for many different routings. The (5), (A), (E), (N), and (W) are obvious examples since they each represent more than one route conflated into one definition.

Subway route designations should not be like fine literature with double meanings and reading between the lines; it needs to be functional.

Could you possibly ask him to take pictures? If he is able that would be great. Tell him that the devoted New York railfans will be grateful!

Unfortunately there isn't anything special to see, it just looks like a storage room with a lot of shelves and stuff (and now that I come to think of it, might have been closed off in the recent renovation)

I mean there isn't that much to begin with. It could probably fit two IRT cars tops...

Edited by Around the Horn

Unfortunately there isn't anything special to see, it just looks like a storage room with a lot of shelves and stuff (and now that I come to think of it, might have been closed off in the recent renovation)

I mean there isn't that much to begin with. It could probably fit two IRT cars tops...

I would still be interested in seeing pictures of it. If it hasn't been closed off could you ask? Thanks. I doubt that this would be the case, but if your dad knows of any plans or documents, that would be great. Thanks for the information.

What's up with the orange (A) ??? I have never heard of that before...

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

In the early 90's they wanted to merge the Uptown portion of the (A) with the 6th Avenue/Brighton portion of the  :Q: and make it a weekday only service.

The weekday  (C) would have ran like it does now (168-Euclid local), between 207-Far Rockaway late nights, and 207-Euclid weekends. The (H) would have been the 8th Avenue express between Penn Station and Lefferts/Far Rockaway (no late night service), with an peak direction <H> to/from Rockaway Park. The late night Lefferts shuttle and the Rockaway Park shuttle would have run the same way it does today.

Edited by paulrivera

In the early 90's they wanted to merge the Uptown portion of the (A) with the 6th Avenue/Brighton portion of the  :Q: and make it a weekday only service.

The weekday  (C) would have ran like it does now (168-Euclid local), between 207-Far Rockaway late nights, and 207-Euclid weekends. The (H) would have been the 8th Avenue express between Penn Station and Lefferts/Far Rockaway (no late night service), with an peak direction <H> to/from Rockaway Park. The late night Lefferts shuttle and the Rockaway Park shuttle would have run the same way it does today.

To add on, that new service would've been called the orange (A) or the orange (Q) via Brighton/6 Av Exp/CPW Local. The (H) would've terminated and started at Penn Station, while the (B) is discontinued.

So I was tooling around on Luminator's website and I found this PDF (http://www.luminatortechnologygroup.com/attachments/article/105/LED-Side-Destination-Sign.pdf) which shows one of their signs displaying " (L) to Montrose Avenue". Is that an actual code on the R143/160 or was that an old code or a one off early on?

Edited by Around the Horn

So I was tooling around on Luminator's website and I found this PDF (http://www.luminatortechnologygroup.com/attachments/article/105/LED-Side-Destination-Sign.pdf) which shows one of their signs displaying " (L) to Montrose Avenue". Is that an actual code on the R143/160 or was that an old code or a one off early on?

Wouldn't be surprised if it exists. I caught a photo years ago of one saying to Jefferson St...gotta look for it

Edited by Turtle

To add on, this was part of larger slate of proposed service cuts, which would've reduced overall service on Central Park West and the Concourse lines. The orange (A) was actually the second version of this particular proposal. The first one called for the (A) to basically become today's (C) line, running as a local between 168 Street and Euclid Av during normal hours.

For your consideration, here are the two maps illustrating the proposed service cuts:

Version 1

Version 2 (orange (A))

If the (W) come back that means all announcement in different lines change, especially the one for B46, M23, Q44 and Q70 SBS.

Yes... All of the announcements will have to be updated to reflect current service. It's no different from when the announcements were updated for the 2010 service cuts or the various select bus service routes that have been added.

So I was tooling around on Luminator's website and I found this PDF (http://www.luminatortechnologygroup.com/attachments/article/105/LED-Side-Destination-Sign.pdf) which shows one of their signs displaying " (L) to Montrose Avenue". Is that an actual code on the R143/160 or was that an old code or a one off early on?

Wouldn't be surprised if it exists. I caught a photo years ago of one saying to Jefferson St...gotta look for it

While it may have been just a test of the sign's capability, much like the tests of the FIND route screen back in 2005, the 143s used to have an automated announcement system similar to the 142s where the train crew could knock off all of the stops beyond a certain point and the signs will update for the new last stop. The announcements would still announce themselves as the original terminus though.

My coindolences to the family of the Mta track worker who was Killed last night.....My prayers to the other worker recovering in the hospital....As both men was accidentally killed by a south bound (G) last night.... :(....Just terrible    

Meant to say as both men was hit not killed.... :(

Idk what happened on the (7) today, because I got to Flushing and there were no trains there then an train come s on track 1 and is only there for less than a minute, and leaves, then on track M and then again on track 2 which was the train I got on.

It went pretty much like this. "This is the las... This is a Manhattan bound <7> express train the... Stand clear the closing doors please."

My coindolences to the family of the Mta track worker who was Killed last night.....My prayers to the other worker recovering in the hospital....As both men was accidentally killed by a south bound (G) last night.... :(....Just terrible    

Meant to say as both men was hit not killed.... :(

I'm in Mountain View this week for business and I got emails this morning saying that all weeknight service changes were canceled. I thought there was a severe weather event in the city but I guess this is the reason.. my condolences to the family of the track worker killed.