SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Staten Island could REALLY use a connection to Bay Ridge...

They'll have to settle for S79 SBS and the S53/93. And to a lesser extent, the X17 to Gatling Pl. and 86 St. on weekends. Edited for having not read the above threads lol

will they eventually extend the R to run all times 24-7?

Depends. Probably a wait and see with the Whitehall extension

Edited by 46Dover

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They were extended to Whitehall sometime after 2008 and I assume they have been extended to Bay Ridge due to the late night extension of the (R). Typically during the 11 PM hour, trains leaving Bay Ridge have already started the shuttle service, while there are still trains towards Bay Ridge from Manhattan, along with the ones to Whitehall. Now that the late night (R) also ends at Whitehall, the middle track is no longer available for them.

I think I was on one to Canal around 2013 or so.

The joekorner assignments are updated:

http://thejoekorner.com/carassignments/index.html

Changes:

An R32 is added to the A train and runs in the AM and PM rush.

The N and W are combined in assignments and as a result, both the N and W can have 2 R68s assigned to them at anytime. Both run R160s otherwise.

Q AM requirements are reduced by four trains and PM requirements by three trains.

R has an added AM run.

Were the LED displays originally planned for a purpose other than countdown clocks, or were countdown blocks planned a long time ago? This picture from 1999 shows a very similar display to today's countdown clocks at Franklin Avenue (although the model in the photo was red-only; it has since been replaced with a multicolor one.)

slb1211.jpg

Source: http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/nyc/htm/slb1211.htm

They were extended to Whitehall sometime after 2008 and I assume they have been extended to Bay Ridge due to the late night extension of the (R). Typically during the 11 PM hour, trains leaving Bay Ridge have already started the shuttle service, while there are still trains towards Bay Ridge from Manhattan, along with the ones to Whitehall. Now that the late night (R) also ends at Whitehall, the middle track is no longer available for them.

Those (R) Trains dropouts at Canal Street were AM Rush Hour trains and few early evening trains as well. The early evening ones stopped in 2010 and the AM Rush Hour ones stopped in 2014 or so.

On the NYC Subway map, the rush hour (5) train to/from Nereid Av is there and the (Z). I was wondering how come the (5) to Utica, (E) to 179 St and the (2) to/from New Lots Av isn't there since it occurs during the rush hour

Those services don't run frequently enough for you to actually depend on them. If you put those on there, people will complain that they waited 30 minutes for the one (E) that happened to go to 179th or whatever.

Why are the (F) and (V), (J) and (Z) considered the same lines yet the (A) and (C) are considered separate?

Well, the  (F) &  (V) /  (J)(Z) share cars from each other (R160s, R143s, R46s, R42s and R32s), while the  (C) has separate rolling stock from the (A) (R160s and R32s). Can anybody correct me on this if I'm wrong?

Well, the  (F) &  (V) /  (J)(Z) share cars from each other (R160s, R143s, R46s, R42s and R32s), while the  (C) has separate rolling stock from the (A) (R160s and R32s). Can anybody correct me on this if I'm wrong?

The (A) uses a few R32s. But the (A)(C) are based out of different yards, while the (F)(V) and (J)(Z) are in the same yards. I guess their depots and the fact that the (C) operates longer hours compare to the (V)(Z) could be a reason why the (A)(C) are considered separate.

Edited by J95

Were the LED displays originally planned for a purpose other than countdown clocks, or were countdown blocks planned a long time ago? This picture from 1999 shows a very similar display to today's countdown clocks at Franklin Avenue (although the model in the photo was red-only; it has since been replaced with a multicolor one.)

<pic removed>

Source: http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/nyc/htm/slb1211.htm

They were probably meant for some kind of variable message system, possibly for service alerts or something, that never really materialized until fairly recently.

Why are the (F) and (V), (J) and (Z) considered the same lines yet the (A) and (C) are considered separate?

Since when were the (F) and (V) considered the same? Both services might have run along most of the same routes, but they were never the same. Part of the (F) route was included on the (V) schedule out of convenience.

The (J) and (Z) are considered one route internally because their services are entwined with one another. (Z) skip-stop is directly related to (J) skip-stop. The (A) and (C) are not considered one route because their services have nothing to do with one another besides the fact that the (A) local replaces (C) service during the overnight hours. That also applies to the (F) and (V) lines.

Both the n/b AM and s/b PM rushes on the (D) are much more crowded than the n/b AM or s/b PM on the (N) so how come the (W) is running to Bay Parkway and eventually 86 St on the (N) instead of Bay Parkway on the (D) ?

Those (W) trains go to the yard since there isn't enough space on the lower level of City Hall to hold all those trains.

The (brownM) was hit and miss.  Most of the time it was less than half-full during rush hour, although I do remember one exception when it had more people, but again, very rare.  It was basically the (R) 's mediocre sidekick on 4th Avenue.

Edited by R10 2952