SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of you guys obvs might not be old enough to remember the 2005 MTA NYCT Strike... It was around the holidays of 05 and it was probably one of the most ridiculous things I've ever witnessed in my own life...

IIRC:

* All public schools were pushed to a 10:30 AM start time

* Manhattan under 96 St along w/ MTA Bridges and Tunnels were subjected to HOV4 restrictions

* I remember a LOT of people took LIRR/MNRR for intercity travel. 

* I believe taxis didn't run meters but ran on some kind of zone system

* I remember this one bit where Fox ran a bunch of free shuttle buses around Manhattan and broadcasted live from inside

Considering the PA and MTA have completely seperate unions for its workers the odds of both unions going on strike at the same time is probably 0

I was just reading about the SEPTA transit strike, and I was wondering:

What happens if all of the MTA and Port Authority workers went on strike.

How bad would traffic be?

How bad? There would be fist fights on the streets, on bridges and in tunnels. There would be betting pools to see if you could get to work without a mark on you. Here's a perfect imagery: the movie Escape from New York!

Why wouldn't it?

Shifting gears, apparently this snuck by us. Or maybe just me...

Also in 2016, the interiors of the rollsigns on R160Bs 9023-9027 were retrofitted with LCD screens, replacing the MTA Arts for Transit cards that are usually located there. This is different from the FIND screens in that the new LCD screens are wider and can display advertisements.

From Wikipedia Edited by Lance

Also, I saw a Manhattan bound (B) train bypassing Kings Highway, however it was empty. Any ideas on where it went?

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

I still never understood why the R160's never got the LED advertisements from the R143's.

Probably because the FIND screen already has ads on it.

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by Tonyboy515

Random Route Idea: How about extending some lines to South Ferry? The 6th Ave Line and the 2 AV Subway seem like good choices. Also we need more stations on the sixth ave line and a 9 AV Subway. Maybe a third avenue Subway too. We need lots of service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Random Route Idea: How about extending some lines to South Ferry? The 6th Ave Line and the 2 AV Subway seem like good choices. Also we need more stations on the sixth ave line and a 9 AV Subway. Maybe a third avenue Subway too. We need lots of service

South Ferry doesn't really need more lines. If you look at a heat map of ridership, the most crowded segments are in Midtown, the Upper East Side, and Queens. The current plans for subway expansion are:

• (Q) extension to 96 St - 2 Ave
  • (Q) extension to Lex Ave - 125 St
  • (T) service from Lex Ave - 125 St to Houston St
  • (T) extension to Hanover Sq

I think that a new 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png service between Houston St / Grand St and Woodside via Roosevelt Island, with provisions for extension to Forest Hills, would do more to alleviate crowding than Phase 4 of SAS. 

At the moment, we don't need a 3 Ave or 9 Ave subway. An (L) extension to 72 St - UWS via 10 Ave is possible in the long term.

South Ferry doesn't really need more lines. If you look at a heat map of ridership, the most crowded segments are in Midtown, the Upper East Side, and Queens. The current plans for subway expansion are:

• (Q) extension to 96 St - 2 Ave
  • (Q) extension to Lex Ave - 125 St
  • (T) service from Lex Ave - 125 St to Houston St
  • (T) extension to Hanover Sq
I think that a new 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png service between Houston St / Grand St and Woodside via Roosevelt Island, with provisions for extension to Forest Hills, would do more to alleviate crowding than Phase 4 of SAS.

At the moment, we don't need a 3 Ave or 9 Ave subway. An (L) extension to 72 St - UWS via 10 Ave is possible in the long term.

I can see where you are going with this. It does seem nice. My idea was that with more lines down the avenues of Manhattan, Midtown would be less congested since all the lines I would have pass through it. Anyway I also thought of having a (6) extension to Cypress Hills in Queens (the J and Z station) via Lexington and Myrtle Avenues. Or the (Z) extended to 168 St (again in Queens) and have it run expréss on Jamaica to give it some individuality.