SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a comprehensive list of how many TPH each line runs during each time period? It'd be good to have when making proposals for the proposal thread.

The MTA has GTFS feeds with the schedule. Aside from calculating TPH based on that, no.

Edited by bobtehpanda

If it ain't that the <6> or <7> then you won't see one.

So I can expect the <6> and <7> to have their bullets prominently displayed at the entrances of the stations that they serve? I only ever remember seeing (6) and (7) displayed, respectively.

Edited by Skipper

So I can expect the <6> and <7> to have their bullets prominently displayed at the entrances of the stations that they serve? I only ever remember seeing (6) and (7) displayed, respectively.

Not necessarily at the station entrances, but on the trains themselves. I remember that they used to have the <5> displaying in Brooklyn many years ago, but that has since changed.

Not necessarily at the station entrances, but on the trains themselves.

So if my quixotic fantasy of reviving the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png were realized (and Bay Ridge taken seriously), the lower Fourth Avenue stations would simply display (R) and not (R)75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png on the station entrances? I'm unsure whether color factors in, but this is perhaps a unique scenario.

So if my quixotic fantasy of reviving the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png were realized (and Bay Ridge taken seriously), the lower Fourth Avenue stations would simply display (R) and not (R)75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png on the station entrances? I'm unsure whether color factors in, but this is perhaps a unique scenario.

The (R) is a completely different route than the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png. It would be displayed. Edited by CenSin

What is the protocol for displaying diamond bullets at (MTA) stations?

They are typically only shown along the express section of the line (where the diamond service operates differently from the circle service)

In Manhattan, only the (6) and (7) are shown. The sign on the platform explaining which services stop at each track will mention the <6> and <7>

First things first, if the Nassau R was revived, it would be in a brown circle not a diamond.(The (Z) is a good example of this in practice) The diamond is only used now a days to denote a rush period express along a typically local line.

The (R) is a completely different route than the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png. It would be displayed.

As CenSin notes, the brown R is an entirely different service. The sign would most likely list them as R R with the full time Broadway variant listed first.

First things first, if the Nassau R was revived, it would be in a brown circle not a diamond.(The (Z) is a good example of this in practice) The diamond is only used now a days to denote a rush period express along a typically local line.

I don't think that the (MTA) would consider having two Rs differing only in color. Wasn't the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png indeed a rush period express along a local line?

Having an 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png would just confuse riders. If such a service would be implemented, it would be given a separate designation.

Did it confuse riders while it was running? What designations would be possible? A brown V or K?

I definitely like having the Brown 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png come back, but as noted, I would do it as a 24/7 (Z) line that would run between Bay Ridge and Chambers Street with the (J) truncated full-time to Chambers Street (save for a handful of rush-hour (J) trains that would go to Broad), set up so an arriving (J) or (Z) at Chambers (excluding any (J) trains to Broad) always has it's north-south counterpart right across the platform waiting for the train arriving (as (J) trains could come in on the "express" tracks" at Chambers and (Z) trains would be on the "local" tracks).  This also eliminates the late-night (R) shuttle since this new (Z) line would be running at all times, with those who need Whitehall late nights being able to make a same-platform transer for the (N) at Jay-Metrotech or Court.  

You could also if you want to keep the (J) and (Z) as is having the Bay Ridge make the old 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png route a "Brown (V) " for this purpose. 

Edited to add:  How do you make the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png symbol (and some of the other old ones) come up again?  I had to use copy and paste to do that here. 

Edited by Wallyhorse

Why do you keep pitching this? It hasn't made sense before and it still doesn't make sense now. Why does the (J) need to terminate at Chambers St? Why does this new service need to be called the (Z)? Especially when the (Z) designation has been synonymous with Jamaica skip-stop service for nearly 30 years. You always take a relatively simple concept, in this case, the need for additional 4th Avenue service to Nassau St, and turn it into some convoluted mess that requires several other unnecessary service alterations.

To answer your question, there is no diamond (R) smiley at the moment. No, I don't know why.

Why do you keep pitching this? It hasn't made sense before and it still doesn't make sense now. Why does the (J) need to terminate at Chambers St? Why does this new service need to be called the (Z)? Especially when the (Z) designation has been synonymous with Jamaica skip-stop service for nearly 30 years. You always take a relatively simple concept, in this case, the need for additional 4th Avenue service to Nassau St, and turn it into some convoluted mess that requires several other unnecessary service alterations.

To answer your question, there is no diamond (R) smiley at the moment. No, I don't know why.

It's the same reason why he wants the (C) run via the (J) to Broadway Junction.

It's the same reason why he wants the (C) run via the (J) to Broadway Junction.

I sincerely doubt that. It seems like you are making a statement with which you think a lot of people will agree with, despite the statement being non-factual.

I definitely like having the Brown 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png come back, but as noted, I would do it as a 24/7 (Z) line that would run between Bay Ridge and Chambers Street with the (J) truncated full-time to Chambers Street (save for a handful of rush-hour (J) trains that would go to Broad), set up so an arriving (J) or (Z) at Chambers (excluding any (J) trains to Broad) always has it's north-south counterpart right across the platform waiting for the train arriving (as (J) trains could come in on the "express" tracks" at Chambers and (Z) trains would be on the "local" tracks).  This also eliminates the late-night (R) shuttle since this new (Z) line would be running at all times, with those who need Whitehall late nights being able to make a same-platform transer for the (N) at Jay-Metrotech or Court.  

You could also if you want to keep the (J) and (Z) as is having the Bay Ridge make the old 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png route a "Brown (V) " for this purpose. 

Edited to add:  How do you make the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png symbol (and some of the other old ones) come up again?  I had to use copy and paste to do that here. 

I made the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png the same way I made the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-V-SAS_svg.png (I downloaded the .svg vector files from the website below and merely combined other bullets to make new ones, preserving the precise dimensions and colors). For some reason, the Nassau bullets on this site are darker than Wikimedia's.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_York_City_Subway_bullets

I think disturbing the (J) would be a hard sell, but bringing the (Z) to Bay Ridge only during rush periods (the only time during which it is ever active anyway) would be a good alternative to a revived 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png service (also only active during rush periods anyway). Either way, the BMT Nassau Street Line must make better use of the Montague Tunnel! If Bay Ridge is as underserved as I've experienced for years, then that's the perfect use of it. The reason I am campaigning for the 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-Rd-NSE_svg.png instead of the (Z) is simply that it runs alongside the (R) for most of its length, but I'm not opposed to extending the (Z) instead.

Why does the (J) need to terminate at Chambers St? Why does this new service need to be called the (Z)? Especially when the (Z) designation has been synonymous with Jamaica skip-stop service for nearly 30 years. You always take a relatively simple concept, in this case, the need for additional 4th Avenue service to Nassau St, and turn it into some convoluted mess that requires several other unnecessary service alterations.

The (Z) can remain as a skip-stop service and simply serve Bay Ridge during that time. How would you solve the need for additional Fourth Avenue service to Nassau Street? The (R) just isn't cutting it, and extending the (W) to Bay Ridge wouldn't help that much.