SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I've heard that most conductors don't like the R42 trains because of a lack of seat and only one window in the conductor's cab.

Is the lack of seat true for all the other similiar cars, such as the R32s? I've never seen the cabs of one of these things and I'm curious. Also, for those who have sat in them, do they feel cramped and uncomfortable?

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18th Street (1) is useless, not used much at all.

18 St is ranked 184th out of the 421 stations/complexes in the subway; not bursting at the seams, but it's not like tumbleweed is the only thing blowing through the station.

Probably assumed because of the map. I mean I admit years ago I too might've said it was pointless and that if 14th was moved further north to cover 15th and 23rd moved further south to cover 21/22nd, then 18th could be cut out. That said I do agree that Franklin would make the most sense to be cut over 18th as Chambers is just below and Canal is in a 'no man's land'* imo.

The trains were pretty crowded from the Labor Day Parade. It'd be really awesome if next labor day the 5 could run to Flatbush or Utica. If traffic is a concern, keep the 4 express and the 5 local. Or just run extra 2 and 3 trains. Of course, I doubt the MTA would enjoy the $$$ spent doing extra stuff like this for every big parade.

Edited by Mysterious2train

The trains were pretty crowded from the Labor Day Parade. It'd be really awesome if next labor day the 5 could run to Flatbush or Utica. If traffic is a concern, keep the 4 express and the 5 local. Or just run extra 2 and 3 trains. Of course, I doubt the MTA would enjoy the $$$ spent doing extra stuff like this for every big parade.

Speaking of extra trains, does anyone think they might send extra trains on game days when Barclays Center opens?

Speaking of extra trains, does anyone think they might send extra trains on game days when Barclays Center opens?

They do when the Yankees and Mets are in town, so yeah, probably.

They do when the Yankees and Mets are in town, so yeah, probably.

Not probably, they most certainly will be. They want people to use public transit because the area is already congested and furthermore, parking won't be great either, so they're encouraging people to use public transit to get there.... Subway and LIRR in particular.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I hope so, plus with 41 home games that starts at night (for the most part), I would think most people are commuting from work than driving. I am glad the Jets aren't on the west side. Of the 4 sports, I don't think there's anyway you can convince people to take the train over driving to an NFL stadium.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I can see that happening, after all, they paid $4 million for a 20 year lease on the naming rights to Atlantic Avenue.

Yeah and the MTA actually reprinted all of their Fastrack posters JUST so they would now say "Atlantic Ave-Barclays Center" in the descriptions. I hope that was out of that fund.

I hope so, plus with 41 home games that starts at night (for the most part), I would think most people are commuting from work than driving. I am glad the Jets aren't on the west side. Of the 4 sports, I don't think there's anyway you can convince people to take the train over driving to an NFL stadium.

Which is why one Yankees game gets as many MNRR riders as the entire Giants/Jets seasons do.....

I heard a while back that NYCT plans on running extra Q trains after the game, but otherwise the lines are already at capacity and the regular service should be able to handle it. This is why you never hear about Knicks or Rangers specials, since MSG already has two entire trunks (and two more another block away) serving it. The LIRR is also working on bringing back their late night service (not just for game nights, but every night)

Edited by Snowblock

I saw something interesting last night while coming home on the BxM1... As we reached 219th street or so, I noticed a (1) train just sitting on the tracks with all of its lights out except for the front lights which were on nice and bright. No one was on the train and the train was out of service. I know they store some trains underground but I didn't know they did that above ground too... Also I imagine the lights were on so that other trains could see it no??

I saw something interesting last night while coming home on the BxM1... As we reached 219th street or so, I noticed a (1) train just sitting on the tracks with all of its lights out except for the front lights which were on nice and bright. No one was on the train and the train was out of service. I know they store some trains underground but I didn't know they did that above ground too... Also I imagine the lights were on so that other trains could see it no??

On the revenue tracks? That train probably broke down. I'd imagine the tail lights would also be on...