SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

I have suggested loop lines before like that, which probably would be best.

The 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-K-NSE_svg.png in this scenario could be just that, a loop line that runs via the tunnel to Manhattan and the Bridge back, stopping at Jay-Metrotech, Court, Broad, Fulton and Chambers going northbound only before returning to Brooklyn via the Manny B going southbound.  This eliminates any grade crossings (aside from a merger with the (N) and (Q) over the Bridge and the (R) at DeKalb going southbound in Brooklyn.

That said, I noted why you would not likely have a chokepoint with a 75px-NYCS-bull-trans-K-NSE_svg.png relaying at Chambers, given that relay would only take place after a (J) left Chambers going north and timed to be completed before the next (J) came in southward.

As I would do that, it would only connect the Brooklyn-bound track from the Nassau Line to the Manny B.  The Manhattan-bound track would NOT have such a connection. 

Moved this over to the Proposals/Ideas Thread.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Humans will inhabit Pluto before the NYPD will EVER give approval for a tunnel running under them. Hell they've banned cars from Park Row since 9/11

@Skipper: Aside from a few weekend shutdowns of the 63rd Street connection, no, there are no service suspensions resulting from construction of the SAS. The only time the MTA actually suspends full time service for construction is when the project is of utmost importance (see: Manhattan Bridge renovations and Montague Street tunnel) 

Inevitably we're going to see more weekend shutdowns when they build the SAS connections at 2 Av (F), 3 Av (L), and especially Grand St (B)(D). Makes me wonder how they're gonna build the transfer at 125 St (4)(5)(6) when that's such a busy station that's tight on space to boot...

Inevitably we're going to see more weekend shutdowns when they build the SAS connections at 2 Av (F), 3 Av (L), and especially Grand St (B)(D). Makes me wonder how they're gonna build the transfer at 125 St (4)(5)(6) when that's such a busy station that's tight on space to boot...

Probably the same way they did Fulton St.

So I just passed through Cortlandt Street on the (1) in both directions. It's pretty much a finished shell except for parts of the floor at the south end. And it already has the tactile edge strips and rubbing boards installed.

What does a shell not include? Just the service booths, vending machines, turnstiles, maps, and signage? I guess that takes a couple years to do...

I noticed the other day that the Fulton St line has Transit Wireless Wifi now. I'm not sure how far "south" it goes, maybe to Grant Ave but I know it works at Utica Ave and stations "north".

Broadway Junction and Euclid Av for a fact has it activated. Not sure about the intermediate stations

How does the MTA choose which stations to give wifi? I noticed on Lex that 23, 28, 33 all have it yet 14 Union (arguably busier) doesn't.

I'm sure there's way more to it though.

Transit Wireless does the WiFi not the MTA.

Speaking of which, 36 St and Atlantic-Barclays have been activated.

I find it interesting that if you go onto Google Maps and type in Lexington Ave 63rd street it will already show that the (N) and (Q) stop there in addition the the (F) that already stops there. For the (Q), Google even has the times that the (Q) is suppose to stop there even though this information isn't on the MTA website.

I find it interesting that if you go onto Google Maps and type in Lexington Ave 63rd street it will already show that the (N) and (Q) stop there in addition the the (F) that already stops there. For the (Q), Google even has the times that the (Q) is suppose to stop there even though this information isn't on the MTA website.

Well technically the (Q) is already scheduled to go to 86 Street, but is operating on a supplemental schedule until SAS opens

Well technically the (Q) is already scheduled to go to 86 Street, but is operating on a supplemental schedule until SAS opens

It's cool that they started tearing down that wooden divider at Lexington Ave. I hope they give the floor a nice cleaning to remove all that dust and what not from the floor.

I hope the line is completely ready when the (Q) goes that at the end of December. I also hope phase 2 doesn't take 10 years to build considering that half the tunnel is there anyway. I hope we can get up to 125th in 2021/2022.

@ShadeJay: Figures. The (Q) should really have the 68s while the (N) and (W) run 160s. There are too many instances where a (W) has run with (N) signage and vice-versa as of late. Keeping the 68s on the (Q) would eliminate this problem as there's only one terminal for the line.

@NewFlyer230: All apps updated for the 11/06 service changes that use the MTA metadata show the (N) and (Q) runs to Lexington Av-63 St.

As for the December opening, I'm not holding my breath. Until I start seeing the press releases on the opening date, I will not believe they'll be able to stick to the so-called New Year's Eve opening date.

Regarding the planned extension to Harlem, while I'd like to see the line open without another decade-long wait, I don't see that happening. Even with the already built portions dug out, there's still a lot of boring that needs to be done to reach 125th Street, with the most difficult portion being the area around the Lexington Ave line and the Park Ave railroad viaduct. Then there's the issue of actually building the stations and all that entails with the project. We're more likely to see the (Q) extended to Harlem sometime by the mid-2020s at the earliest and that's only if the project starts soon.