SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

S/b (D) backed up out the wazoo today. MTA twitter only mentions an issue all the way up at 170 St. Can't believe something that far north has such an impact on the south brooklyn region. 2 (D) 's were fully packed (one ran exp. to Bay Parkway) and I could only get on the 3rd one which was fairly full but not a sardine can.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ShadeJay: Figures. The (Q) should really have the 68s while the (N) and (W) run 160s. There are too many instances where a (W) has run with (N) signage and vice-versa as of late. Keeping the 68s on the (Q) would eliminate this problem as there's only one terminal for the line.

@NewFlyer230: All apps updated for the 11/06 service changes that use the MTA metadata show the (N) and (Q) runs to Lexington Av-63 St.

As for the December opening, I'm not holding my breath. Until I start seeing the press releases on the opening date, I will not believe they'll be able to stick to the so-called New Year's Eve opening date.

Regarding the planned extension to Harlem, while I'd like to see the line open without another decade-long wait, I don't see that happening. Even with the already built portions dug out, there's still a lot of boring that needs to be done to reach 125th Street, with the most difficult portion being the area around the Lexington Ave line and the Park Ave railroad viaduct. Then there's the issue of actually building the stations and all that entails with the project. We're more likely to see the (Q) extended to Harlem sometime by the mid-2020s at the earliest and that's only if the project starts soon.

Its easier to put R68/As on the  (N)  (W) than on the  (Q) since the  (N) line runs right next to the C.I shop in which the spares are stored. If you notice the (B)    (Q)  (D) putins are often stored at Stillwell yard since its easier to do a deadhead from there to and from C.I. There are some  (B)  (Q) putins that come from the C.I Yard though. Most of the  (N) putins are stored at the C.I yard along with the 3  (W) putins. Thats why even before the  (W) came back there were much more daily occurences of R68/As on the  (N) than the  (Q).

@ShadeJay: Figures. The (Q) should really have the 68s while the (N) and (W) run 160s. There are too many instances where a (W) has run with (N) signage and vice-versa as of late. Keeping the 68s on the (Q) would eliminate this problem as there's only one terminal for the line.

@NewFlyer230: All apps updated for the 11/06 service changes that use the MTA metadata show the (N) and (Q) runs to Lexington Av-63 St.

As for the December opening, I'm not holding my breath. Until I start seeing the press releases on the opening date, I will not believe they'll be able to stick to the so-called New Year's Eve opening date.

Regarding the planned extension to Harlem, while I'd like to see the line open without another decade-long wait, I don't see that happening. Even with the already built portions dug out, there's still a lot of boring that needs to be done to reach 125th Street, with the most difficult portion being the area around the Lexington Ave line and the Park Ave railroad viaduct. Then there's the issue of actually building the stations and all that entails with the project. We're more likely to see the (Q) extended to Harlem sometime by the mid-2020s at the earliest and that's only if the project starts soon.

Wouldn't it make sense if possible to do a one-stop extension of the (Q) to 106th or 110th Street if the necessary work can be completed fast enough, then complete the rest of Phase 2?

Also, I would have provisions in place to take the line all the way across 125th to Broadway so an SAS there can connect with ALL of the other lines that run across 125 and possibly by then a new Metro-North Station at 125/12th Avenue. 

Why? Having a one stop extension while the rest of the line is still under construction would likely result in a lot of work and service disruptions. In terms of work disruptions, there needs to be a separation between the work areas and the active, passenger service subway. There also needs to be significant room for trains to terminate and relay away from your proposed 106 Street station. Otherwise, you run the risk of creating a situation not unlike the one at Flatbush Av and Jamaica Center where terminal placement and track layout prevent the full utilization of the line. They'd also have to create a temporary terminus at 106 Street to facilitate such an extension. While it may seem like a good idea on paper, the potential for delays in the overall project would prohibit this quite easily.

As for a line across 125th Street, I feel we should focus on getting the Second Ave line into The Bronx before worrying about that.

8867 and company now have the interior screens installed.

Also is it normal to see a New Lots Avenue bound (4) train, in the PM rush?

There are two scheduled PM Rush trips

4:19 PM from Woodlawn, arrives New Lots 5:39 PM

4:33 PM from Woodlawn, arrives New Lots 5:54 PM

Its easier to put R68/As on the (N)(W) than on the (Q) since the (N) line runs right next to the C.I shop in which the spares are stored. If you notice the (B)(Q)(D) putins are often stored at Stillwell yard since its easier to do a deadhead from there to and from C.I. There are some (B)(Q) putins that come from the C.I Yard though. Most of the (N) putins are stored at the C.I yard along with the 3 (W) putins. Thats why even before the (W) came back there were much more daily occurences of R68/As on the (N) than the (Q).

That's irrelevant because and its not like CIY majority of the fleet is R68s and its not like CIY only maintains the (B)(N)(W) which is what you're making sound like.

And yes the (N)(W) swap trains at Astoria constantly.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

I can't wait for the first phase of the 2nd Avenue Subway to open. :)

(Well that is, if it's on time :mellow:)

I can't wait for the second phase to open up as well but I know we have at least another 10 for that lol. The (6) is horrible so hopefully the (Q) manages to take a good chunk of riders off the (6). The (6) is really crowded and always delayed so the (Q) on 2nd Ave is welcomed, even those (N) rush hour trips are good too. Edited by NewFlyer 230

How do you guys think of 3 separate services of the 7 train? Like one train operates fully local, one operates express then switches to local at 74th and one is exp to jct blvd skipping woodside. I guess it would go something like local, express then semi-exp. I just see all these people at 74th street all the time and it's sad becuz the local is always held back by a express b4 it reaches queensboro plz and the delays snowball

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

How do you guys think of 3 separate services of the 7 train? Like one train operates fully local, one operates express then switches to local at 74th and one is exp to jct blvd skipping woodside. I guess it would go something like local, express then semi-exp. I just see all these people at 74th street all the time and it's sad becuz the local is always held back by a express b4 it reaches queensboro plz and the delays snowball

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

im pretty sure there would be no way to distinguish between the local, semi fast and express services.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The (7) needs to be revised so that most stations are seeing something better than half the peak service. 

A question I would like to ask is given the successful increase in service on weekends for the (2) which other lines would you recommend for weekend service increases? I think most lines could use one but of course the MTA is going to be picky and choosy about which ones to boost so getting an idea of which ones should go second would be nice.

The (7) needs to be revised so that most stations are seeing something better than half the peak service.

A question I would like to ask is given the successful increase in service on weekends for the (2) which other lines would you recommend for weekend service increases? I think most lines could use one but of course the MTA is going to be picky and choosy about which ones to boost so getting an idea of which ones should go second would be nice.

I agree. The (R) is unreliable as hell during off hours and weekends, they need more service. Indeed, an (RJ) restoration would do as a (K) running from Jamaica Center or at least Chambers St to Bay Ridge

An RJ won't help. You want more unreliable service on the J?

I took the (J) to Broad Street yesterday. My group missed the first one, but the second one came in soon after. The thing was, after Fulton Street, the train was held in the tunnel to clear out the (J) up ahead. I predict lots more trouble if Broad Street were both a terminal and through station since it has only 2 tracks.

I agree. The (R) is unreliable as hell during off hours and weekends, they need more service. Indeed, an (RJ) restoration would do as a (K) running from Jamaica Center or at least Chambers St to Bay Ridge

After 9/11, the (J) went from Jamaica Center to Bay Ridge 95th St as the longest local line in the system. Try and guess how many people liked it.