SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

They may be using one track from Times to 34 as storage space for the (7).

There's no reason to suspend the <7>, since running trains will keep the tracks clear and it wouldn't make sense to store trains on an above-ground express track.

Then why suspend the <6> and not the <7> ? Both operate above ground.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no reason to suspend the <7>, since running trains will keep the tracks clear and it wouldn't make sense to store trains on an above-ground express track.

There won’t be enough capacity to support good local service if the <7> ran.

The strip maps are being updated on the A Division as of now

The connection of the PATH is shown at Fulton St except the (R)(W) won't be mentioned

Female: "This is Fulton Street."

Male: "Transfer is available to the: (2)(3)(A)(C) and (J) trains. Connection is available to PATH trains"

It's much better than the old plan of terminating the (7) at Grand Central.

Has anyone else noticed that service on the (A) and (C) has gone downhill lately? If the trains aren't crawling through normally fast zones, If not that, it's normally absurd waits to the tune of 15+ minutes.

Weekend service, particularly on the (C) is abysmal... 15-20 minute waits are the norm

Question regarding the Broadway/Astoria Line:

Even though R46 models do not go to Coney Island, is it ever likely to see an R46 (W) train as an AM or PM fill-in (let's say an (R) terminates at Whitehall and then reassigned as a (W) ) ?

No. The (R) and (W) run out of different yards. The (W), however, swaps with the (N) all the time...

So earlier today, I transferred across the platform at 7th Avenue from a (G) local to an (F) express train. It was nice because it meant I didn't have to wait for the (G) to fumigate at Church Avenue, and then wait an additional few minutes for a local (F) train. Maybe a Culver Express will happen in the next decade...

And no, for those interested, I did not get video footage of this super "rare" and "exclusive" cross-platform transfer. I apologize to anybody who is disappointed.

So earlier today, I transferred across the platform at 7th Avenue from a (G) local to an (F) express train. It was nice because it meant I didn't have to wait for the (G) to fumigate at Church Avenue, and then wait an additional few minutes for a local (F) train. Maybe a Culver Express will happen in the next decade...

And no, for those interested, I did not get video footage of this super "rare" and "exclusive" cross-platform transfer. I apologize to anybody who is disappointed.

The (G) is so limited in my opinion. I don't know how it is going to help out the (L) in a few years. If anything people are going to crowd up on the (J) and (M) trains. The (G) barely has any good transfers besides Court Square, Hoyt and Carrol street. If the MTA can find a way to make some type of transfer between the J and M trains and to the Atlantic Terminal I bet the (G)'s ridership would skyrocket. I feel like 10 cars would be a waste for that line and perhaps only 8 cars is enough.

The (G) is so limited in my opinion. I don't know how it is going to help out the (L) in a few years. If anything people are going to crowd up on the (J) and (M) trains. The (G) barely has any good transfers besides Court Square, Hoyt and Carrol street. If the MTA can find a way to make some type of transfer between the J and M trains and to the Atlantic Terminal I bet the (G)'s ridership would skyrocket. I feel like 10 cars would be a waste for that line and perhaps only 8 cars is enough.

Which is exactly why I would add OOS transfers between the (G) at Broadway and Lorimer and Union Avenue on the (J)(M)(Z) AND between Fulton Street on the (G) and Atlantic-Barclays on the 2/3/4/5/B/D/N/Q/R and encourage people as much as possible to use those transfers.

Which is exactly why I would add OOS transfers between the (G) at Broadway and Lorimer and Union Avenue on the (J)(M)(Z) AND between Fulton Street on the (G) and Atlantic-Barclays on the 2/3/4/5/B/D/N/Q/R and encourage people as much as possible to use those transfers.

I don't think people favor OOS connections. I don't think the one at Lexington and 63rd is used like that.

If I was coming from uptown or downtown and needed to head to Queens I rather go to Lexington 53rd for the (E) and then transfer to the (F) at Roosevelt AV unless you of course need Roosevelt Island or Queensbridge. I think you have to be encouraged to use the out of system connections, because hey what if it's cold or its raining and etc.

The (G) was built pretty much as a supplement service and a shuttle. Since everything with NYC is so oriented around Manhattan I wonder who thought it would be a great idea to build a line outside of Manhattan that barely has any connections. That poor line misses a huge crucial connection such as Atlantic Terminal for the (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(D)(N)(Q)(R) and LIRR trains. Also if the Queensboro Plaza station and the Queens Plaza Station were ever connected it would also miss the Broadway lines because it stops short at Court Square.

Is there some type of unlisted trip on the (W) that comes from Brooklyn in the middle of the afternoon? I've seen it twice at DeKalb Avenue at around the same time within the past week, but the schedule doesn't show anything about one.

Edited by TrainFanInfinity

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?46954

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?46955

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?39297

These R4s were apparently converted to haul new R44s around. However, at least one end of one of these cars appears to have a standard railroad coupler, and even more surprisingly, these cars appear on their own on the LIRR on more than one occasion. Several questions come to mind, such as how in the world the FRA let structurally unmodified subway cars onto the national rail network, and how the prewar traction motors didn't fry on the 750V DC like the R44s' did during their speed tests. Does anyone have more information about this?

These R4s were apparently converted to haul new R44s around. However, at least one end of one of these cars appears to have a standard railroad coupler, and even more surprisingly, these cars appear on their own on the LIRR on more than one occasion. Several questions come to mind, such as how in the world the FRA let structurally unmodified subway cars onto the national rail network, and how the prewar traction motors didn't fry on the 750V DC like the R44s' did during their speed tests. Does anyone have more information about this?

These cars I believe had modifications with the coupling and air breaking to FRA's standards. I believe they also might have been used for other moves besides the R44's the LIRR iaround this time where still  feeding 600v they needed to upgrade for the new M1s they were upgrading around this time. Remember 600V on the subway is nomal NTT cars can run on peaks up to 780-800v non-sustained and as low as 480V.   

Edited by RailRunRob

Just noticed that the last photo seems it wasn't a power car it's different this was probably configured as crash car between the diesel and the rollingstock just incase anything got banged up. The R44 wasn't the only rapid transit car to be tested on the LIRR the PATH PA1/PA2 cars did as well. But I remember hearing R1-9 being used in push-pull operations by some old timers. All motors both bogies and single car configuration. R36's and a few R62/As are the the only remaining cars with that setup.

The (G) was built pretty much as a supplement service and a shuttle. Since everything with NYC is so oriented around Manhattan I wonder who thought it would be a great idea to build a line outside of Manhattan that barely has any connections. That poor line misses a huge crucial connection such as Atlantic Terminal for the (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(D)(N)(Q)(R) and LIRR trains. Also if the Queensboro Plaza station and the Queens Plaza Station were ever connected it would also miss the Broadway lines because it stops short at Court Square.

I agree wholeheartedly. To fully harness its potential, I feel we need transfer passages to the (J)(M)(Z) at Broadway and the (B)(C)(D)(N)(Q)(R)(2)(3)(4)(5) & LIRR at Fulton Street, plus replacing the R68As with 5 60' car open-gangway trainsets (maybe assign it some of the R211T option order?).

I wonder if an extention of the (G) along Northern Blvd to Jackson Heights and Corona would also be a good investment...

These cars I believe had modifications with the coupling and air breaking to FRA's standards. I believe they also might have been used for other moves besides the R44's the LIRR iaround this time where still  feeding 600v they needed to upgrade for the new M1s they were upgrading around this time. Remember 600V on the subway is nomal NTT cars can run on peaks up to 780-800v non-sustained and as low as 480V.

Just noticed that the last photo seems it wasn't a power car it's different this was probably configured as crash car between the diesel and the rollingstock just incase anything got banged up. The R44 wasn't the only rapid transit car to be tested on the LIRR the PATH PA1/PA2 cars did as well. But I remember hearing R1-9 being used in push-pull operations by some old timers. All motors both bogies and single car configuration. R36's and a few R62/As are the the only remaining cars with that setup.

Interesting. So these cars were basically work motors for both NYCTA and LIRR. They could never get away with something like that today.

A somewhat related question: how were the R44s delivered via the LIRR? Where was (is?) the connection to the subway system?

Interesting. So these cars were basically work motors for both NYCTA and LIRR. They could never get away with something like that today.

A somewhat related question: how were the R44s delivered via the LIRR? Where was (is?) the connection to the subway system?

Nope, Most cars are coupled in sets now. FRA rules are a lot stricter and then there's that power incompatibility issue as well with the LIRR upgrading their power system..  Connections would have been at Linden or 36th street as was said above.

Edited by RailRunRob