SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was on the track that would be the local track I guess going in Southbound towards the city. I saw another (1) train pass it going towards the city which is what got my attention.

There probably would have been more delays, as the next switch onto the center track is at 238th Street:

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/caption.pl?/img/trackmap/pm_west.png

It was probably on the center track itself.

Is there any reason why they do this? Is it more efficient than pulling in as a (2) and leaving as a (2)?

It allows for more flexibility in scheduling the (2) and (5). For example, if a (5) is supposed to depart Flatbush at a particular time, any available train can be used. Although, I don't know if they just literally use whichever train is available, or if the example (5) train that I mentioned would always use the same train from the (2) each time. Edited by TheSubwayStation

Guest MTA Bus

If the R160s didn't overload the 3rd rail stations on the Rockaways, the (A) would probably be using R160s. I still don't get why they could've just ran R160s on the (A) by just sending them to Lefferts Blvd.

I don't know what's what on the Rockaway power problem, but I don't really think the (A) would be using R160s, every line right now that uses them has a pretty good reason for doing so and just not every line can use NTTs. Look at it this way, you'll only have to wait 25-30 years tops before you're guaranteed to see them on it :D

Running different fleets on the different branches of the (A) is an inefficient idea just like running different fleets on the (2) and (5) mentioned above.

Imagine at 207th St, the next two arriving trains are R160s from Lefferts, the (A) from the Rockaways got held up due to a bridge opening or something, and the next Queens-bound train from 207th is going to Far Rockaway.

What do?

The flexibility of sending trains where necessary to meet the schedule is lost.

Edited by Mysterious2train

I don't know what's what on the Rockaway power problem, but I don't really think the (A) would be using R160s, every line right now that uses them has a pretty good reason for doing so and just not every line can use NTTs. Look at it this way, you'll only have to wait 25-30 years tops before you're guaranteed to see them on it :D

Running different fleets on the different branches of the (A) is an inefficient idea just like running different fleets on the (2) and (5) mentioned above.

Imagine at 207th St, the next two arriving trains are R160s from Lefferts, the (A) from the Rockaways got held up due to a bridge opening or something, and the next Queens-bound train from 207th is going to Far Rockaway.

What do?

The flexibility of sending trains where necessary to meet the schedule is lost.

Remind me again, how long does it take to get from one of the A line to the other? An hour? Hour and a half? I'm almost positive that whatever's affecting the Broad Channel Bridge won't take nearly that long, unless there's some kind of mechanical problem over there. And besides, it's not like they can't turn trains at Howard Beach if circumstances warrant.

As for the power problem, I'm pretty sure that was fixed.

Remind me again, how long does it take to get from one of the A line to the other? An hour? Hour and a half? I'm almost positive that whatever's affecting the Broad Channel Bridge won't take nearly that long, unless there's some kind of mechanical problem over there. And besides, it's not like they can't turn trains at Howard Beach if circumstances warrant.

Bridge activities take longer than you may think.

That was just an example. My point is, segregating fleets on the (A) is a bad idea in such circumstances, because delays could have (A)s arriving out of order at 207th. Hypothetically, the delay would only have to be for 10 or so minutes (sick passenger waiting for an ambulance, signal outage, etc.) during most of the day in order for two trains from Lefferts to get behind each other and mess up the schedule.

If the power problem really is fixed, this is all a moot point, but I'm just clarifying.

Bridge activities take longer than you may think.

That was just an example. My point is, segregating fleets on the (A) is a bad idea in such circumstances, because delays could have (A)s arriving out of order at 207th. Hypothetically, the delay would only have to be for 10 or so minutes (sick passenger waiting for an ambulance, signal outage, etc.) during most of the day in order for two trains from Lefferts to get behind each other and mess up the schedule.

If the power problem really is fixed, this is all a moot point, but I'm just clarifying.

Point taken.

I didn't mean display them at the museum, but just retain them for the collection, much in the same way they did with the two R38s and R40s.

Speaking of which, what happened to those things anyway? The R40s and a pair of R32s was on display at the museum for a short while around 2009 (according to nycsubway.org) and afterwards they seemed to just vanish off the face of the earth. I don't think the R38s were ever displayed there.

I didn't mean display them at the museum, but just retain them for the collection, much in the same way they did with the two R38s and R40s.

Speaking of which, what happened to those things anyway? The R40s and a pair of R32s was on display at the museum for a short while around 2009 (according to nycsubway.org) and afterwards they seemed to just vanish off the face of the earth. I don't think the R38s were ever displayed there.

From what I know, 40's and 32's are stored in the tunnels that lead to the station.

Not every train the museum has can fit into the station.

Cars regulary get rotated in there as place holders whenever a set is out on a fan trip or for repairs

Wouldn't it be easier to have the (A) at 207th and the (C) @Pitkin? There would be a lot less deadheading that way.

Speaking of which how do (C) trains deadhead fro 207th? According the track map, it would have to arrive on the (A) track. Do the (C)'s just depart from the (A) patform or do they wrong-rail into 168th?