SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

They've tested both the 68s and the 160s on the extension. If you'll recall, there was a story a few months ago about the tunnels being slightly too tight for the turning radius of the 68s, which has long since been fixed by now. Given how often the 68s have popped up on the (Q), it would be extremely negligent had the MTA not ensured all trains could operate on the extension up 2nd Avenue.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SAS extension map (perhaps to be offered elsewhere) features a printed modern Vignelli map instead of the usual system map. I'm not sure if this will be used elsewhere, but it's definitely the first printed Vignelli (Weekender) map I've seen used. The SAS bullets use the original Vignelli colors, so it makes sense about the return. The station maps at the new stations are the usual format, however (with the extension, of course).

Edited by MHV9218

The SAS extension map (perhaps to be offered elsewhere) features a printed modern Vignelli map instead of the usual system map. I'm not sure if this will be used elsewhere, but it's definitely the first printed Vignelli (Weekender) map I've seen used. The SAS bullets use the original Vignelli colors, so it makes sense about the return. The station maps at the new stations are the usual format, however (with the extension, of course).

Where did you see it?

I second that request. I actually prefer that version because it depicts service better with minimal text bunching. The current version tries too hard to honor geographic contours despite saying he opposite on the map's fins print.

I found a picture. See in the SAS discussion.

Just saw 3 R142As on the (6) back to back at Union Square today around 5PM

Also, I was wondering: on the last stops (Woodlawn, Wakefield-241 St, Van Cortlandt Park-242 St, and Pelham Bay Park), were the platforms from left to right ever used?

the R142A's are such oddballs now compared to the massive amounts of R62A sets dominating the (6) I would send the extra R142A sets to Livonia for (3) service and send over 6 R62 sets to Westchester.

The problem is that if anybody out of Flushing wanted to access a local stop, they would have to make an extra transfer (and if that local stop was 103rd Street or 111th Street, they would have to transfer and backtrack, unless they just took the Q48).

I think the main reason they still have a decent number of local trains starting at Flushing (instead of 111th) is that they want some people taking the local to the QBL at 74th Street. Remember that the peak load point is just before QBP, so if all those riders just decided to stay on the express instead of switching to the local at Junction Blvd and then transferring again at 74th, you wouldn't have enough space for the riders at Woodside to fit on the express. True, the local trains might be marginally emptier since they started at 111th, but I don't think it would be enough (since overall, you would have more people traveling west of Woodside than you presently do)

There are also trains that start at Mets.

Truth of the matter is the people from Flushing that actually want to go to 74th will go there even if their only option is express. Sure they won't be happy, but with how unreliable service has become, something needs to be done. There haven been plenty of mornings where a (7) local will leave Flushing, and the following <7> does. It pass it until 33rd st. But the reason behind that is that at 33rd st the express has priority. (So in actually you save about a minute.) Also at Flushing a local departure is never missed. It's gotten to a point where they either delay, refactor, skip, or miss and express departure all together for the sake for local service.

Local service would have more of an effect than express service. The MTA can't control which train passengers want to get on. Also, most riders transfer at the exp stops along the line to wait for an express <7>. The local trains in the morning are actually quite empty, sometimes even pull into queensboro plz with no standees becuz so many people end up transferring at the exp stops.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

So when is the TA going to get around to fixing the Montague clearance problem?

What's the clearance peihoejvbbbbb at montage st?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem*

Local service would have more of an effect than express service. The MTA can't control which train passengers want to get on. Also, most riders transfer at the exp stops along the line to wait for an express <7>. The local trains in the morning are actually quite empty, sometimes even pull into queensboro plz with no standees becuz so many people end up transferring at the exp stops.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

The local is not empty in the morning. The peak loading point for Manhattan locals is east of 74 street where people transfer to the QBL. It builds up riders until 33 street where the students get off. That is probably why it seems empty in the morning.

When the Montague tubes were rebuilt following Hurricane Sandy, electrical conduits and other equipment was moved up from track level to the sides of the ceilings. R32/R42 cars (as well as museum trains) will not clear this new equipment, and are therefore banned from (N)(Q)(R)(W) service and I believe (B)(D) service as well.

Operational flexibility is always a good thing; allowing a mistake like the Montague rebuild error to persist is simply lazy and irresponsible.

Again, does anyone know what the TA's plans are regarding the clearance issue?  I'd appreciate information on this.

When the Montague tubes were rebuilt following Hurricane Sandy, electrical conduits and other equipment was moved up from track level to the sides of the ceilings. R32/R42 cars (as well as museum trains) will not clear this new equipment, and are therefore banned from (N)(Q)(R)(W) service and I believe (B)(D) service as well.

It's important to draw the distinction between "banned from the tube" and "banned from the (N)(Q)(R)(W)(B) and (D) lines". They are only banned from the trackage in the tube, they are not technically banned from running on the (N)(Q)(R)(W)(B) and (D) lines entirely. 

How long do we seriously expect the R32/42s to stick around that this will be a problem worth fixing? If they're getting retired by R179s and R211s in the near future then we might as well sit on our hands.

R32 and likely the R42s will not be retired by the R179s. The R211s are also not going to be arriving within the immediate timeframe either.

It's important to draw the distinction between "banned from the tube" and "banned from the (N)(Q)(R)(W)(B) and (D) lines". They are only banned from the trackage in the tube, they are not technically banned from running on the (N)(Q)(R)(W)(B) and (D) lines entirely. 

R32 and likely the R42s will not be retired by the R179s. The R211s are also not going to be arriving within the immediate timeframe either.

In addition, it's inconvenient to not be able to run the museum cars through the tunnel.

I'm just throwing an idea out here because I'm just curious to hear your opinions about it. This proposal was basically in favor of making the (R) quicker in Queens.

So I just wonder the following:

(F) and (M) service remains the same.

The (E) runs to Jamaica 179th as a local. The entire route would be local. Late nights service terminates at Forest Hills.

The (R) runs to Jamaica Center via Queens Blvd express.

I'm not serious about this but just wondering if it could work theoretically.

I'm just throwing an idea out here because I'm just curious to hear your opinions about it. This proposal was basically in favor of making the (R) quicker in Queens.

So I just wonder the following:

(F) and (M) service remains the same.

The (E) runs to Jamaica 179th as a local. The entire route would be local. Late nights service terminates at Forest Hills.

The (R) runs to Jamaica Center via Queens Blvd express.

I'm not serious about this but just wondering if it could work theoretically.

Because the (E) runs directly into the express from 53rd and the (R) runs directly into the local from 60th, implementing your plan would require all (E) trains to block (R) trains, and vice versa.

I seem to remember reading that there was a G.O. banning them from those lines outright in order to enable possible reroutes through Montague. Otherwise there would be no reason to ban them from the (B)(D)(Q). But I may be misremembering or have a bad source.