SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because the (E) runs directly into the express from 53rd and the (R) runs directly into the local from 60th, implementing your plan would require all (E) trains to block (R) trains, and vice versa.

Hmm now that I think about that I guess that's why it was never implemented unless the (E) and (M) served Queens Plaza and the (R) went through 63rd Street and I know that the MTA wouldn't want to locals and no expresses to serve the express Queens Plaza station. The (E) is the shortest and quickest route out of the 4 lines that travel on Queens Blvd Line. The (R) is unfortunate enough to be completely local for its entire route.

It's important to draw the distinction between "banned from the tube" and "banned from the (N)(Q)(R)(W)(B) and (D) lines". They are only banned from the trackage in the tube, they are not technically banned from running on the (N)(Q)(R)(W)(B) and (D) lines entirely.

R32 and likely the R42s will not be retired by the R179s. The R211s are also not going to be arriving within the immediate timeframe either.

According to other employees on here, they're banned from those lines as well and its up in crew rooms.

According to other employees on here, they're banned from those lines as well and its up in crew rooms.

According to WHO on here? We're going to be getting some 32s on the Bravo pretty soon and I can tell you for sure that they are NOT banned from that line. They just can't run through the Montague tube, but the switch at Lawrence St was just refurbished so that they can turn at Court if need be.

Really? The bulletin you're alluding to says "R32/R42 equipment banned from the Montague Tube", not "R32/R42 equipment banned from the B D N Q R W lines"...

The distinction is important and has implications in many different ways.

According to WHO on here? We're going to be getting some 32s on the Bravo pretty soon and I can tell you for sure that they are NOT banned from that line. They just can't run through the Montague tube, but the switch at Lawrence St was just refurbished so that they can turn at Court if need be.

Well said. All those late night and weekend Montague shutdowns recently were for that switch replacement. Edited by Dj Hammers

But all the employees here seem to think you are wrong...? Sorry but I don't believe u.

Either ur making things up or ur being gullible and being fed bad info.

Are the countdown clocks being installed in Brooklyn the true "countdown clocks" (A Division), the bluetooth ones or just tell the time? Not sure, and they're popping up everywhere.

They're starting to put them on 4th Avenue (the Bluetooth ones)

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Didnt 32s run on the R line at some point ?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Yes. that's why the R train dance exists (if you don't know what that is go see the super Subway bros R train review.) for R32 R trains and ONLY R32 R trains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R32 (B) trains? That's news to me. Some R46s would've made more sense to me with the split terminals imo, but it'll be good to have an RFW on the Brighton one more time.

Got it. Sorry for any confusion, I seem to have had misinformation.

The R32s don't have (B) via Brighton rollsigns, so it will be interesting to see if that reading is added or they make do with the (B) via West End or <B> readings.

They put the West End signs when the R32 (B) ran briefly before the 2010 cuts. Probably would be the same thing.

They put the West End signs when the R32 (B) ran briefly before the 2010 cuts. Probably would be the same thing.

Most passengers probably don't know what "West End" means anyway or simply don't pay attention to the signs past the route bullet. Still funny though that these cars will see long-term use on a line they don't have proper rollsign readings for.

Because the (E) runs directly into the express from 53rd and the (R) runs directly into the local from 60th, implementing your plan would require all (E) trains to block (R) trains, and vice versa.

Imagine if the line was actually completed after Jamaica Center to Rosedale like it was supposed to, and he wants the (R) to go all the way out there? That'd be one hellaciously long local through Queens lol

Imagine if the line was actually completed after Jamaica Center to Rosedale like it was supposed to, and he wants the (R) to go all the way out there? That'd be one hellaciously long local through Queens lol

We should a least extend it one or two station east of Jamaica Center, so the E could get a terminal that could turn all the trains during rush hour

We should a least extend it one or two station east of Jamaica Center, so the E could get a terminal that could turn all the trains during rush hour

Converting the line to Rosedale shouldn't be to hard to SAS standards almost a walk in the park. I guess the question is could the QBL handle the extra trains to maintain headways?

Converting the line to Rosedale shouldn't be to hard to SAS standards almost a walk in the park. I guess the question is could the QBL handle the extra trains to maintain headways?

Well presumably the (E) trains to 179 St would all be shifted back to the busier Archer Ave / Laurelton line and service would be simplified into alternating (E)(F) trains. There is no additional room for more express service, and I'm not certain CBTC will realistically lead to more trains. The bypass line would represent at least 15 - 20 additional tph to support an expected increase in Eastern Queens ridership.

I would assume that the (E) would operate at the same headway and if you needed extra headways you could always divert those extra 3 (E) TPH to 179 Street towards Rosedale.

As for rolling stock, just assign some trains from the R211 option orders to the (E).

There is no extra room on QBL's express lines for more trains, and QBL's locals are constrained by the fact that they share one terminal facility; if you were to reactivate the Rockaway Beach Branch you could split the local and improve frequency that way.

Well presumably the (E) trains to 179 St would all be shifted back to the busier Archer Ave / Laurelton line and service would be simplified into alternating (E)(F) trains. There is no additional room for more express service, and I'm not certain CBTC will realistically lead to more trains. The bypass line would represent at least 15 - 20 additional tph to support an expected increase in Eastern Queens ridership.

Presumably once you build a proper terminal for the (E) you can add more trains to Archer Avenue.

If you build the bypass, you can actually use up all of QBL's capacity, but that requires eliminating direct QBL local-6th Av service.

QBL Local: (G) and (R)

QBL Express: (E) and (M)

63 St Tunnel: (F) and Second Avenue

The R32s don't have (B) via Brighton rollsigns, so it will be interesting to see if that reading is added or they make do with the (B) via West End or <B> readings.

The last time the 32s ran on the (B), they were signed as either:

(B) 6 Avenue|West End

or

<B> Washington Hts|6 Avenue

| = line break

Most people don't really know or care that the (B) doesn't actually run to Washington Heights or via the West End line. As long as the bullet reads (B) and the front sign corresponds to that, all other information is deemed irrelevant to them.

The last time the 32s ran on the (B), they were signed as either:

(B) 6 Avenue|West End

or

<B> Washington Hts|6 Avenue

| = line break

Most people don't really know or care that the (B) doesn't actually run to Washington Heights or via the West End line. As long as the bullet reads (B) and the front sign corresponds to that, all other information is deemed irrelevant to them.

Most passengers probably don't know what "West End" means anyway or simply don't pay attention to the signs past the route bullet. Still funny though that these cars will see long-term use on a line they don't have proper rollsign readings for.

My point exactly.

Where will the r68's from the (B) go, and won't there also be some 32s on the (G)?