SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where will the r68's from the (B) go, and won't there also be some 32s on the (G)?

The R68s from the (B) will likely go to the (Q), as additional trains will be needed for Second Avenue service. With the R179 order running so late, the car shortage will be even worse, as the original intent was to have the 179s in for Second Avenue.

I don't foresee any R32s ending up on the (G) as long as there are 300' trains. If needed, they might throw them on when the (L) is shuttered.

The R68s from the (B) will likely go to the (Q), as additional trains will be needed for Second Avenue service. With the R179 order running so late, the car shortage will be even worse, as the original intent was to have the 179s in for Second Avenue.

I don't foresee any R32s ending up on the (G) as long as there are 300' trains. If needed, they might throw them on when the (L) is shuttered.

Will they put new stickers or roll signs on the R68's for the second avenue (Q) like they did for the (7) extension, or will they still say 57th St?

Hi everyone, I know I'm kind of posting this in the middle of a conversation, but I've been so confused about this. What is everyone's favorite transit app to use? Personally, I like Transit (The "app" part of "transit app" was removed awhile ago). but what about citymapper, moovit, any other local apps, or even google or apple maps? Please share your opinions.

Hi everyone, I know I'm kind of posting this in the middle of a conversation, but I've been so confused about this. What is everyone's favorite transit app to use? Personally, I like Transit (The "app" part of "transit app" was removed awhile ago). but what about citymapper, moovit, any other local apps, or even google or apple maps? Please share your opinions.

I personally think Transit App is the best App, it works off line, has a map of where all the buses are (even if is not live) and all the schedules of the train and buses. It also includes Trip Planner which I find not as good as Google, but the transit schedule is really useful.

We should a least extend it one or two station east of Jamaica Center, so the E could get a terminal that could turn all the trains during rush hour

Yes, but as part of a long-term extension that I would want to do to Belmont Park (that would serve as a Park-and-Ride terminal except on Belmont Stakes Day) that would include a barebones station that would most of the time be a yard except on (usually) Belmont Stakes Day.  Such would also serve considerable chunks of eastern Queens and even for some who live close to the border with Nassau County that area as well.

Yes, but as part of a long-term extension that I would want to do to Belmont Park (that would serve as a Park-and-Ride terminal except on Belmont Stakes Day) that would include a barebones station that would most of the time be a yard except on (usually) Belmont Stakes Day. Such would also serve considerable chunks of eastern Queens and even for some who live close to the border with Nassau County that area as well.

I think all stations built in the future should be barebone, not some art museum like 2nd Ave. hopefully that could make the station cheaper. Edited by Mtatransit

I think all stations built in the future should be barebone, not some art museum like 2nd Ave. hopefully that could make the station cheaper.

The art costs next to nothing and the stations are already comically bare compared to the original mosaics and designs of the rest of the system. A few distractions from the puddles of urine and homeless people can go a long way--I'd keep them.

Why does government dictate whether any station have any art, I thought efficiency is much more useful than an aethestic aspect of a station. But it's the govt we are talking about here.....

I'm sorry but that ship sailed in 1900, when the first contract wrote that, and I paraphrase, the subway is a "great public work, worthy of attractive design, even of beauty".

Aethestics have been part of the subway since the beginning.

Squire Vickers, who designed the dual contracts and later the IND stations, wrote that "It is not enough that our stations should be sanitary, commodious and convenient-they must at the same time present a cheerful and attractive appearance to the public." Colored tiles on the walls should "blaze with the brightness of a jewel," providing a 'joyous note like a banner flung from the frowning window of a castle"

I'm sorry but that ship sailed in 1900, when the first contract wrote that, and I paraphrase, the subway is a "great public work, worthy of attractive design, even of beauty".

Aethestics have been part of the subway since the beginning.

Squire Vickers, who designed the dual contracts and later the IND stations, wrote that "It is not enough that our stations should be sanitary, commodious and convenient-they must at the same time present a cheerful and attractive appearance to the public." Colored tiles on the walls should "blaze with the brightness of a jewel," providing a 'joyous note like a banner flung from the frowning window of a castle"

But then we really don't need a full platform length mezzanine do we, we could just do a 21 St Queensbridge style exit (mini mezzanines) where there there is one on each end. Edited by Mtatransit

But then we really don't need a full platform length mezzanine do we, we could just do a 21 St Queensbridge style exit (mini mezzanines) where there there is one on each end.

We could have had a third track at 72 Street if it weren’t for those extra large mezzanines.

Apparently, abbreviations are not in vogue anymore. Transit cannot seem to get a happy medium. Oh wait, yes they can - by leaving the signs as they are. We don't need signs that read "WAKFLD-241" or "Q BORO PLZ" but we also don't need an essay on those signs either.

Ugh, the scrolling signs are back...

The (E) now reads "QUEENS BLVD EXPRESS" which obviously doesn't fit.

The (Q) to Queensbridge scrolls "21 ST-QUEENSBRIDGE"

Is there a reason on how the R142/A doesn't announce the destination, then saying the next and last stop?

(Wall St on the (5) to Bowling Green)

Intentional. My guess was to save time.