SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Which is why if anything, I would look if at all possible into rebuilding 125 into where it could serve as a short-turn terminal for the (1) (possibly running as a reverse-peak express between 96 and 125)  It's a real shame it was never thought of to build 125 (and also possibly 116) as an express station when the original subway was built, even if Columbia was already around by then.  

Reconfiguring 125 Street would probably be easier. It could be done as part of a 125 Street crosstown package with the (T) or (Q). The next station where this would still be relatively easy to engineer is at Dyckman Street.

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not necessarily. Actually it works out perfectly with the MTA. They had 212 cars before, which made 53 four-car sets, or 26 and a half eight-car trains. Getting rid of the 4-car set that was damaged allows the MTA to whittle the R143 fleet to exactly 26 eight-car trains.

The R179 delivery, on the other hand, will always result in one set that's out of service, given that there will be 65 four-car sets, making 32 and a half eight-car trains.

I think we're forgetting here that these four car units pretty much never stay with the same 4 car set through their careers. And that sets are regularly in the shop for inspections or work. I'd say that extra set is a pretty good investment.

I think we're forgetting here that these four car units pretty much never stay with the same 4 car set through their careers. And that sets are regularly in the shop for inspections or work. I'd say that extra set is a pretty good investment.

I agree, this makes the sets more flexible. But I wonder if the MTA is making an odd number of four-car R179s only because there's also an odd number of four-car R160s. This seems unlikely, but then again, with the way the damaged R143 set sits in the yard for 11 years, anything is possible with the MTA.

Edited by agar io

In today's time would a Queens bypass for the (F) still be possible to build. The reason I asked that is because I know there are rules that prohibit the operation of the subway and the LIRR together even though they would use separate tracks. Plus I read that Forest Hills 71st would be a two layered station but the connection between the bypass line and the QBL at Forest Hills might be difficult to construct due to many buildings in the way.

I would love to see a Queens bypass happen because commuting anywhere in Queens is a hassle unless you live right by the subway. I was thinking the (R) could have express service on weekdays and regular local on weekends, the (G) could also be brought back. However since it doesn't go to Manhattan I would stress the building of the connection between Queens Plaza and Queensboro Plaza.

What was the original planned service on the QBL if the (F) went via the bypass?

In today's time would a Queens bypass for the (F) still be possible to build. The reason I asked that is because I know there are rules that prohibit the operation of the subway and the LIRR together even though they would use separate tracks. Plus I read that Forest Hills 71st would be a two layered station but the connection between the bypass line and the QBL at Forest Hills might be difficult to construct due to many buildings in the way.

I would love to see a Queens bypass happen because commuting anywhere in Queens is a hassle unless you live right by the subway. I was thinking the (R) could have express service on weekdays and regular local on weekends, the (G) could also be brought back. However since it doesn't go to Manhattan I would stress the building of the connection between Queens Plaza and Queensboro Plaza.

What was the original planned service on the QBL if the (F) went via the bypass?

The 1950s plan had the 63 St / superexpress line connecting to the full Rockaway Branch. The 1960s Program for Action rerouted the superexpress towards Forest Hills. The line would have used an empty trackbed formerly used by the Rockaway Branch, and a barrier could be erected to allow for operation next to LIRR.

The bypass would run underneath Yellowstone Blvd and stop underneath the existing Forest Hills station, with a connection to the local tracks east of the station. There's no discussion of what services would run, but since the bypass only connects to the local tracks, it's probable that all bypass service would have run local to 179 St.

We had a discussion about what services to run if the bypass is every completed, but some posters and I believe the plan should be

• (E) unchanged
  • (F) 6 Ave Local, 63 St / Bypass, QBL Local to 179 St
  • (G) unchanged
  • (M) unchanged
  • (R) unchanged, future rerouting towards Rockaway Branch
  • (V) 2 Ave Local, 63 St, QBL Express to 179 St

In today's time would a Queens bypass for the (F) still be possible to build. The reason I asked that is because I know there are rules that prohibit the operation of the subway and the LIRR together even though they would use separate tracks.

I really doubt this, since I can think of multiple places where subway tracks run alongside railroads, or light rail tracks run alongside railroads (Los Angeles Blue Line, MBTA Orange Line, etc.)

All this farebeating thru the emergency exits at the Fordham (4) station is really getting out of hand. Even if the booth clerk can't do anything about it, you can't see the exits from inside the booth (the booth faces away from the turnstiles and the emergency exits are behind the booth) and the farebeaters know it.

I really doubt this, since I can think of multiple places where subway tracks run alongside railroads, or light rail tracks run alongside railroads (Los Angeles Blue Line, MBTA Orange Line, etc.)

From Department of Proposals/Ideas page 503:

The Washington D.C. Metro’s Red is flanked by railroad tracks on both sides separated only by a fence. I’ve even seen freight trains running along side the subway in broad daylight. I don’t foresee too much difficulty with such an arrangement here.

The bigger problem is at Woodside, where there is no space for the subway tracks to run, as I mentioned there. Compared to that, the LIRR/subway sharing a ROW is no big deal. The (N) already does it on the Sea Beach Line.

----

Frankly, they should have done what London did and install wheelchair accessible turnstiles instead of these gates. Such a nuisance...

You mean, actual double-leaf gates that open inward/outward instead of the wheely-stiles we have?

Edited by agar io

Why is the trackbed on the (1) between 145th St and 168th St so noisy, even with all the construction that's been happening on that line?

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Funny you should mention that; I thought I was the only one who noticed.  The tracks+bed on that stretch are noisy because they haven't been replaced in an eternity; they still have the standard gaps instead of welding and the concrete's probably deteriorated.  The third rail arcing on that stretch is also insane.

The good news is they've already begun replacing the stretch between 168th and 157th southbound.  Now the wheels starts off noisy, then suddenly become silent just south of 168th.  It's about time too; for the longest time, that stretch was enough to make anybody go temporarily deaf.

Funny you should mention that; I thought I was the only one who noticed. The tracks+bed on that stretch are noisy because they haven't been replaced in an eternity; they still have the standard gaps instead of welding and the concrete's probably deteriorated. The third rail arcing on that stretch is also insane.

The good news is they've already begun replacing the stretch between 168th and 157th southbound. Now the wheels starts off noisy, then suddenly become silent just south of 168th. It's about time too; for the longest time, that stretch was enough to make anybody go temporarily deaf.

The track bed southbound is silent, but the third rail arcing is still ridiculous.

Its not as noisy when the trains fairly or mostly crowded, but when its empty with 2 or 3 people thats when its real loud, especially northbound btw 145th & 157th st.

You mean, actual double-leaf gates that open inward/outward instead of the wheely-stiles we have?

Well not necessarily. I would keep the three bar turnstiles we have now. I was referring to the fact that each fare array has a double width turnstile instead of a wheelchair accessible gate.

All this farebeating thru the emergency exits at the Fordham (4) station is really getting out of hand. Even if the booth clerk can't do anything about it, you can't see the exits from inside the booth (the booth faces away from the turnstiles and the emergency exits are behind the booth) and the farebeaters know it.

Yeah I agree with that station, there need to be HEET turnstiles by those exit, if wheelchair passenger want to exit they could head to the token booth. Too much time I see people waiting to enter from there

lol... If the emergency exits weren't there, then you would have those skells harassing customers as they leave the station for a swipe.  It's so bad uptown that they have police officers stationed at some stations daily, and heaven's forbid they aren't there one day.  They will jam up the MVM's so that they can harass you for a swipe as you try to refill your Metrocard.   <_<

lol... If the emergency exits weren't there, then you would have those skells harassing customers as they leave the station for a swipe.  It's so bad uptown that they have police officers stationed at some stations daily, and heaven's forbid they aren't there one day.  They will jam up the MVM's so that they can harass you for a swipe as you try to refill your Metrocard.   <_<

They do that at EVERY SBS Station anyways...

They do that at EVERY SBS Station anyways...

SBS stop or subway station? I've never seen that at SBS stops I've used, and the MVM's are only jammed at select locations.  I avoid those like the plague.  I have one place I use all the time with no skells and I'm not giving away my secret. :D  :lol:  One that is infamous is part of the Union Square station where there is no token booth clerk.  I had to become rather nasty one time because the guy didn't seem to understand what no meant.  I forgot what he tried to do, but the look I gave him certainly stopped him dead in his tracks.  

SBS stop or subway station? I've never seen that at SBS stops I've used, and the MVM's are only jammed at select locations.  I avoid those like the plague.  I have one place I use all the time with no skells and I'm not giving away my secret. :D  :lol:  One that is infamous is part of the Union Square station where there is no token booth clerk.  I had to become rather nasty one time because the guy didn't seem to understand what no meant.  I forgot what he tried to do, but the look I gave him certainly stopped him dead in his tracks.

SBS Bus Stop, people are like do you have a ticket. Super annoying, I once said no he was like ya right...

Oh my goodness, when they jam up the machines that stop becomes such a madhouse that you need two booth clerks to clear everybody out. At that point I just walk the 3 blocks to the (D) station, where despite the dinginess of the fare control area the machines actually work and there's 90% less skells and farebeaters (having RTO offices within station premises might have something to with that however)

Oh my goodness, when they jam up the machines that stop becomes such a madhouse that you need two booth clerks to clear everybody out. At that point I just walk the 3 blocks to the (D) station, where despite the dinginess of the fare control area the machines actually work and there's 90% less skells and farebeaters (having RTO offices within station premises might have something to with that however)

lol... Well I no longer have to worry about that luckily, but there are very few stations where you can go and refill your card without some skells hanging around.  The other thing that I find super annoying (86th street on the Lex line comes to mind) is some stations are so loud that you can't tell if the transaction cleared or not because you can't hear the buttons as you punch them in to give the information you're prompted for with the (6) train right there every few minutes. <_<  Should be interesting to see what happens when Metrocards finally hit the dust... 

SBS Bus Stop, people are like do you have a ticket. Super annoying, I once said no he was like ya right...

Ohhh... lol I have experienced that once when I used the Bx41.  I just looked at the guy like he had 4 heads and kept walking.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

In other off-topic news... I saw this today on the (C).

G6zl2Hk.jpg

That's right, a (very easily changed) rollsign for a  (G) train between W 4 St and Atlantic Av-Barclays. That second destination was displayed upside down when seen from the outside of the car. Foamer alert...

The other rollsign in that car was set correctly.

Edited by agar io

In other off-topic news... I saw this today on the (C).

G6zl2Hk.jpg

That's right, a (very easily changed) rollsign for a (G) train between W 4 St and Atlantic Av-Barclays. That second destination was displayed upside down when seen from the outside of the car. Foamer alert...

The other rollsign in that car was set correctly.

I saw that set Tuesday night. I think its the only one left with those knobs

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk